• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Last season of "Lost" aka WTF?!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is getting boring.

Let's speculate on who will be the chosen candidate.

Aside from any weird selections (like people not on the list) meant to catch us off-guard, I'm going to put money on (1) Jack or (2) Hurley.

Classical writing is a funnel in, funnel out process.
The end and beginning come full circle, to tie things together like an oroborus.
Picking Jack closes the circle most completely.

Jack was the first character we saw on the show, so it would come full circle very beautifully. He was the first character we knew well.

He had to be the leader, and opposed Locke in pursuit of that role.
There was a lot of narrative mess in the middle, and now things are simplifying again... with jack still around.
Right now, as pseudo-Locke and he are again at loggerheads, face to face, just like they originally were.
When everyone else left the island to steal the plane/sub to go home, Jack went back and is now with Locke.
Just like Jacob and TMIB.

Jack wanted off the island badly because he wanted his old life back.
Once he got off, he realized he didn't want to leave the island.. or shouldn't have.
He's done a big turn-around, and realized that life off the island for him is not as important as life on the island; the others have things they want to return to.
He's gotten a sense of his destiny and that he will not be happy off the island.

Jack has always been the one who fought destiny and determinism, violently.
It makes sense he would be the one who would finally succumb to it and embrace it.

Jack lost Juliette, and he had Kate but it's obvious that won't work anymore either. He has no love interest to go back to/with, while Sawyer and Kate might end up together since they are "kindred spirits" in a sense and deserve each other.

From a writer's perspective, Jack is the character whose dramatic narrative causes the most sense of completion and resonance within the story line, if he is selected. If he is, the series will probably end with him as the last character and things fading back out just as they originally faded in.

As far as Hurley goes, he's the "feel good" choice.
Everyone loves Hurley.
Hurley can see dead people.
If anyone will defend the island with goodness and kindness, it's Hurley.
But Hurley really deserves better.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Jack is the obvious choice… which is why I am most suspicious of him as the choice!

Usehername

On a mission
I agree. Jack is the candidate, and Hurley is the new Jacob since Jacob died.

I wonder if there will be more time travel and if the two skeletons they found in the cave will be a Lostie romantic couple that died in service of the Island, much like Juliette (Jin and Sun; perhaps Kate and Sawyer).

And of course since they have been secretive about who Jack's boy's mom is, we know who it is.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Your explanations are religious. "There are all kinds of things that could explain the differences." Like? So you're saying Sun was infertile because Jacob made her infertile? Sawyer was a conman because Jacob made him one? Ben got on the island because Jacob got him on? In fact, at what point does the bomb going off = Jacob never existing?

"We don't know Jacobs motives so it still can make sense." Sure, it could.

The only thing you said that I buy, these are the whims of the writers.
Sun never was infertile in any timeline.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Jack is the obvious choice… which is why I am most suspicious of him as the choice!

That, actually, TO ME (ha ha), is probably the biggest reason to reject Jack as the probable candidate. :)

I agree. Jack is the candidate, and Hurley is the new Jacob since Jacob died. I wonder if there will be more time travel and if the two skeletons they found in the cave will be a Lostie romantic couple that died in service of the Island, much like Juliette (Jin and Sun; perhaps Kate and Sawyer).

The insinuation right now seems to be that it's Bernard and Rose. They were left back in the 1970's, they just wanted to be left alone to spend their last days together, and I think they were living near the cave.

And of course since they have been secretive about who Jack's boy's mom is, we know who it is.

Were they? I sort of missed that angle. Jack had a wife originally, then they divorced. (way back in Season 1-2?) He had saved her by operating on her, they fell in love.

Shannon will come back to life, that's what will happen! ;)

DUM dum DUUUUUMMMMMMM!!!!!

*shock and horror*

I hope she isn't all green and puffy and stuff.

kendoiwan

I am Sofa King!!!
MBTI Type
IsTP
Sun never was infertile in any timeline.

Lost/Jin-Soo Kwon - The TV IV

Jin and Sun were having trouble conceiving a baby. Sun was annoyed at how much Jin was working, and at Jin coming home with blood on his hands. Jin hoped that a baby would make everything better. With their problems conceiving, Jin and Sun ended up seeing a fertility doctor. The doctor told them that Sun was infertile. Jin was angry, accusing her of knowing this before they were married. The truth of the matter was that Jin was sterile.

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU

yep. if the writers are truly as sadistic as they are known to be from time to time it will be jin or sun, so that they will be separated in the end.

also, i hope desmond's scenario on the island has a similar climax to that of "ernest goes to jail". that would be cool.

Usehername

On a mission
The insinuation right now seems to be that it's Bernard and Rose. They were left back in the 1970's, they just wanted to be left alone to spend their last days together, and I think they were living near the cave.
Oou! That is so much better than my idea.

Were they? I sort of missed that angle. Jack had a wife originally, then they divorced. (way back in Season 1-2?) He had saved her by operating on her, they fell in love.
Yeah, Julie Bowen's character (Bowen is a prototypical xNTx female, btw, I love her). I suppose I feel they're doing that because I've read for months that Elizabeth Mitchell is coming back and it seems the most plausible way.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ha ha ha! Here is the list:

4. Locke
8. Hugo
15. Sawyer
16. Sayid
23. Jack
42. Kwon (Sun or Jin)

The final air date is 5/23, and there are only 5 numbers left active, and Jack is #23!

5/23 = 5 numbers, #23 -- JACK!!!

I win! I win! I win!!!!

(gotta love irrational N flying crazy, huh? :cheese:)

username said:
Yeah, Julie Bowen's character (Bown is a prototypical xNTx female, btw, I love her). I suppose I feel they're doing that because I've read for months that Elizabeth Mitchell is coming back and it seems the most plausible way.

Wait, what is, exactly, the way?

Usehername

On a mission
Wait, what is, exactly, the way?

If Elizabeth Mitchell is coming back, it seems most plausible to put this dead character in a sideways (presuming they don't do a lame 15 second bit like they did with the character of Michael). Especially since Juliette and Jack are both MDs and it would be an easy write-in to have them have met through their career (plus it juxtaposes well with their real life Island relationship resulting in failure).

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU
ha ha ha! Here is the list:

4. Locke
8. Hugo
15. Sawyer
16. Sayid
23. Jack
42. Kwon (Sun or Jin)

shouldn't we be crossing off sayid as well? since he already died and has been filled with the, um, dark side or whatever, i would assume that he is voided out of the whole deal.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
shouldn't we be crossing off sayid as well? since he already died and has been filled with the, um, dark side or whatever, i would assume that he is voided out of the whole deal.

Locke was crossed out by TMIB "officially" on the show.
I didn't see Sayid officially axed yet, so I left him in.

(I don't know, though.)

If Elizabeth Mitchell is coming back, it seems most plausible to put this dead character in a sideways (presuming they don't do a lame 15 second bit like they did with the character of Michael). Especially since Juliette and Jack are both MDs and it would be an easy write-in to have them have met through their career (plus it juxtaposes well with their real life Island relationship resulting in failure).

Ah, okay. That makes sense. So she replaces his original first wife from the main island timeline.

Alpha Prime

MBTI Type
XXXX
Enneagram
XXXX
I think the last few episodes are actually good, right on par with how good the show used to be, in the first 2-3 seasons.

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU

juliette is probably too busy not fighting aliens in that stupid and horribly written/acted show, V

Usehername

On a mission
juliette is probably too busy not fighting aliens in that stupid and horribly written/acted show, V

Very seriously, that show has the worst writing on prime time television that I've seen in years.

I think it's the dialogue's embarrassing lack of nuance combined with a plot running far, far too fast to have the characters be engaging and meaningful to the audience. The actors can only do so much with the crap they're handed. The plot is strong as a theoretical concept--it's such a shame they wasted what they had.

kendoiwan

I am Sofa King!!!
MBTI Type
IsTP
Isn't Locke's father the conman who Cop Sawyer is chasing? This is me not complaining...

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Isn't Locke's father the conman who Cop Sawyer is chasing? This is me not complaining...

Yes, Locke's father (Anthony Cooper) got killed on the island by Sawyer a few seasons ago.
Here, apparently Locke and his dad got along just fine.

###############

You goofball, I can't believe you were texting me during the episode -- I was sitting there bawling, and logged in on my cell during the commercial, lol, and there you were Wall'ing me as 1, 2, 3, the Candidates dropped by half. :rofl1:

I miss Sun and Jin already.

But I told you it would be Jack.
(Go go Gadget N!)