• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Last season of "Lost" aka WTF?!

kendoiwan

I am Sofa King!!!
MBTI Type
IsTP
If letting the Smoke Monster off the island would have as bad an ending as presumed, then that would be really really stupid.

(After all, Ted Bundy just wanted to show girls a good time and have his emotional needs met.)

But that's accepting the premise of him being evil incarnate which the flashback shows he is anything but, he's just a poor schmo whose emo brother tossed him into "the light". As far as we've been shown he's no more or less evil than his gullible twin brother who "killed" him. The gray area cuts both ways here...

At any rate, I still don't understand why he can't just get on the plane and leave. Or why he hasn't done so at some earlier point (taken a sub from Dharma etc.) Jacob seemed to come and go as he pleased. Why not him?

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think either brother was allowed to leave the island until the current "game" was set up. Jacob did get to leave then. TMIB couldn't, and was not allowed to until Jacob was dead.

Or Jacob and any Candidate that could replace him. Which TMIB wasn't allowed to directly kill.

Reminds me of Ben and Widmore about how angry Ben was when Widmore (indirectly?) killed Ben's daughter. Neither of them were allowed to kill each other either.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But that's accepting the premise of him being evil incarnate which the flashback shows he is anything but, he's just a poor schmo whose emo brother tossed him into "the light". As far as we've been shown he's no more or less evil than his gullible twin brother who "killed" him. The gray area cuts both ways here...

Well, just to be clear: In the large scale of things, I'm not accepting either premise, I'm just presenting the one that is being ignored and Curzon was only presenting the one side without acknowledging the other.

What you suggest is a viable view of things. The ambiguous part: We no longer know who is good and who is evil, or whether TMIB should be left off the island...

IMO, the only people we can really trust at this point are the remaining exiles (Jack, Sawyer, Hugo, and Kate) because they're the only people with whom we are aware of all their biases; we've seen them for six seasons, explored their back stories, seen them at their best and worst. They're the only people we really "see clearly." Everyone else might be lying.

So we can trust their opinions.
It seems they're suspicious of TMIB... and not overly fond of Jacob either (except for maybe Hurley).

At any rate, I still don't understand why he can't just get on the plane and leave. Or why he hasn't done so at some earlier point (taken a sub from Dharma etc.) Jacob seemed to come and go as he pleased. Why not him?

I don't get that either.

Did Jacob really leave the island (thus leaving it unprotected?) or did he use the Lighthouse somehow? I have no idea how Jacob left and came back, without being dead.

I don't get why TMIB can't leave the island either. More rules we are not aware of? But here's an idea: TMIB insists they all leave together. Whether this was to kill them all in one swell foop, or whether this is because TMIB cannot leave if any Candidate remains behind to protect the island remains to be seen. it's obvious the TMIB is intimately tied to the Light -- when he was tossed into it, he emerged as the Smoke Monster, almost like a Jungian "Shadow side" of the Light. But no Candidate can remain behind if TMIB is to escape, that much seems true. As long as Jacob was alive, or one of the Candidates remains, TMIB is stuck.

I don't think either brother was allowed to leave the island until the current "game" was set up. Jacob did get to leave then. TMIB couldn't, and was not allowed to until Jacob was dead.

Yes, interesting.

And it gets back to the Game motif. What is the nature of the game being played?

Or Jacob and any Candidate that could replace him. Which TMIB wasn't allowed to directly kill.

TMIB killed other Exiles... (like Eko)... but never one of the main Candidates. And we've seen elsewhere that something was keeping Jack and some of the others alive -- incidents that should have killed them did not work. Which ones got protected? which ones did not? Why?

But most people were killed by other people or events beyond their control.

Reminds me of Ben and Widmore about how angry Ben was when Widmore (indirectly?) killed Ben's daughter. Neither of them were allowed to kill each other either.

Nice, I had forgotten about that momentarily. Yes, Widmore "broke the rules." What rules, what game were the rules part of?

kendoiwan

I am Sofa King!!!
MBTI Type
IsTP
Oh and my favorite question of all, who exactly is the little (ghost?) kid that keeps popping up mostly to remind TMIB what he can and can't do?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh and my favorite question of all, who exactly is the little (ghost?) kid that keeps popping up mostly to remind TMIB what he can and can't do?

It's Jacob, isn't it? Same kid who was in the last episode we were just discussing?

kendoiwan

I am Sofa King!!!
MBTI Type
IsTP
It's Jacob, isn't it? Same kid who was in the last episode we were just discussing?

I'm not sure. When I was watching the ep, that kid wasn't on my mind so I wasn't really doing the whole comparison thing. You're probably right though.

kendoiwan

I am Sofa King!!!
MBTI Type
IsTP
Ah, good old "Kill or be killed". Oh and Jack unless some other plot twist this Sunday changes that.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ah, good old "Kill or be killed". Oh and Jack unless some other plot twist this Sunday changes that.

I told you it would be Jack.
(That scene with Jack played out pretty much as I expected, and Jacob said exactly what I figured: "Now you're like me.")

...although Jacob threw you a bone and told Kate she could have the job if she wanted it. :)

Then again, we still don't know what twists will come on Sunday. The rule here is, expect the unexpected.

I have no idea what the hell Ben is up to this time. His handling of Charles was, of course, inspired.
It was a nice emotional-arc nod to hook him up with Danielle almost as Alex's surrogate father in the other timeline. This Ben has found value in his relationships rather than in control of others.

I'm more confounded by exactly what Desmond is doing in the alternate timeline. There's something afoot there but I am not sure what.

However, it's interesting that, as Jacob said, he chose them all because they were all alone and looking for something... and many of the people in the alternate timeline are basically "finding themselves" and finding value in their lives that they never had before in the timeline we know them from. The island has actually been redemptive of sort. As far as I can recall, just about all the cast found something redemptive before they died.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Desmond is revealing to everyone the other world.

PREDICTION

Jack gets mortally wounded and Hurley has to take over at the end.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think she is, they couldn't get her for the season opener, so I an doubting we see her at all.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP

PREDICTION

I can't help but think that the final scene of the series will be a Jack-and-Locke sitting on the beach, doing a re-visit of the Jacob/Man-in-Black scene that we saw at the beginning of season... um... 5, was it?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That would be more likely; their rivalry defined the show for quite awhile.

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6

PREDICTION

I've wondered about this, myself. Wrapped up too neatly, too quickly...Jack is such the obvious choice, maybe too obvious? I don't know about it being Hurley though. Maybe. :thinking: