User Tag List

First 67891018 Last

MBTI
    IsTP

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    I don't find it hard to understand this show at all. That's why I was confused about your OP. This season is no different than the rest.
    You confuse understanding with buying into...
    I understand it perfectly well, and I scream BULLSHIT at the t.v. screen. Difference.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

And introducing new characters is always a danger, too - the chemical mix of each changes and alters the path - I distinctly remember when they captured Jin and Sawyer and were torturing them, that's when I REALLY started to tune out. Like, who the hell are these people, I don't want these new characters, they weaken and dilute the plot. If you want to allude to their existence along the way I am fine with that, but as a viewer, its a disservice to suddenly introduce a new character and expect them to now solve problems or drive the plot.

Anyway, perhaps someday I will revisit it all on DVD when I can indulge in watching 2 or 3 episodes at a time, not having to wait inexorably week by week to see how deep the rabbit hole goes.

"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by kendoiwan View Post
    You confuse understanding with buying into...
    I understand it perfectly well, and I scream BULLSHIT at the t.v. screen. Difference.
    No you don't. There are no inconsistencies in the examples you gave. The biggest one was you didn't know why Eloise was the character that understands what's happening in the sideways timeline.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    And introducing new characters is always a danger, too - the chemical mix of each changes and alters the path - I distinctly remember when they captured Jin and Sawyer and were torturing them, that's when I REALLY started to tune out. Like, who the hell are these people, I don't want these new characters, they weaken and dilute the plot. If you want to allude to their existence along the way I am fine with that, but as a viewer, its a disservice to suddenly introduce a new character and expect them to now solve problems or drive the plot.

Anyway, perhaps someday I will revisit it all on DVD when I can indulge in watching 2 or 3 episodes at a time, not having to wait inexorably week by week to see how deep the rabbit hole goes.
    Definitely hard that way, to remember everything.

I missed most of Season #5, and i didn't catch up until about episode 9 of this season. I did a blitz on DVD and then on the ABC.COM site to get back on track before the end.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    IsTP

No you don't. There are no inconsistencies in the examples you gave. The biggest one waoutou didn't know why Eloise was the character that understands what's happening in the sideways timeline.
    Your explanations are religious. "There are all kinds of things that could explain the differences." Like? So you're saying Sun was infertile because Jacob made her infertile? Sawyer was a conman because Jacob made him one? Ben got on the island because Jacob got him on? In fact, at what point does the bomb going off = Jacob never existing?

"We don't know Jacobs motives so it still can make sense." Sure, it could.

The only thing you said that I buy, these are the whims of the writers.

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Your explanations are religious. "There are all kinds of things that could explain the differences." Like? So you're saying Sun was infertile because Jacob made her infertile? Sawyer was a conman because Jacob made him one? Ben got on the island because Jacob got him on? If fact, at what point does the bomb going off = Jacob never existing?

"We don't know Jacobs motives so it still can make sense." Sure, it could.

The only thing you said that I buy, these are the whims of the writers.
    You're still not getting it. I just floated theories of why, but we don't know for sure. Look up chaos theory if you like. They could add another season and explain all the backstories of the sideways universe… but why? It doesn't really add anything.

Here's the biggest inconsistency on the thread:

long since stopped trying to make sense
    I understand it perfectly well

MBTI
    IsTP

You're still not getting it. I just floated theories of why, but we don't know for sure. Look up chaos theory if you like. They could add another season and explain all the backstories of the sideways universe… but why? It doesn't really add anything.
    Don't know and never will know. You don't mind that fine. Adds no value for you that's also fine. Does that in turn make you "right" and make me "wrong"? Not at all. It's funny that people keep accusing me of imposing my POV on them but it's quite the opposite.

Here's the biggest inconsistency on the thread:
    What's inconsistent about the show not attempting or pretending to make sense as you acknowledge yourself, and me understanding that this is the writers advancing the plot? Not much at all.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Don't know and never will know. You don't mind that fine. Adds no value for you that's also fine. Does that in turn make you "right" and make me "wrong"? Not at all. It's funny that people keep accusing me of imposing my POV on them but it's quite the opposite.

What's inconsistent about the show not attempting or pretending to make sense as you acknowledge yourself, and me understanding that this is the writers advancing the plot? Not much at all.
    You're only wrong about it being an "inconsistency". They are simply unexplained details. Jennifer was right, this show might be a good illustration of N vs. S. To us you're not seeing the forest for the trees. Why Sawyer is cop might be interesting, but unimportant.

I suspect the sideways universe may be annihilated anyway.

The show does make sense. I never said otherwise.

MBTI
    IsTP

You're only wrong about it being an "inconsistency". They are simply unexplained details.
    Riiiiiiiiiiight. Do not question the will of god, it's beyond us mere mortals to grasp.
    Jennifer was right, this show might be a good illustration of N vs. S. To us you're not seeing the forest for the trees. Why Sawyer is cop might be interesting, but unimportant, to me my millions, but it is to you and your millions.
    Fixed.

If being "right" makes you feel better, you're "right", I'm "wrong". You win.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Like I said, the form of the show isn't for you.

I bet there will be spinoff novels about the sideways backstories if they interest you so much.