User Tag List

First 182627282930 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

LOST is that itch that I'm having trouble scratching, as no doubt some of you will realize by now. But I found out some interesting stuff today; I am going to share it here plus some thoughts, and I think I can finally come to a peaceful resolution of my nagging questions about the show.

1.) The images of the plane wreckage at the end didn't air in Canada; apparently they were only stock images added by ABC to the credits to allow people to "decompress" after watching the episode. They weren't intended to form part of the show; the last thing you were meant to see was Jack's closing eye.

2.) A quick comment re Guffy's post above: if as a writer, you have to explain that much at the end, how effective were the in-story explanations? I don't think we needed so many red herrings but, that being said ...

3.) I have had a revelation this morning, both through reading comments on other boards and reflection: LOST is a prime-time soap opera! That helps me understand the writing style, the characters coming back to life, the twists and turns, the incongruous character behaviour I have commented on before, almost everything. If I had known I was watching a soap, I wouldn't have expected answers. You know, that helps me almost forgive the writers completely.

Some of you may feel a need to argue against LOST being a soap - please don't do so on my account. Check out the definitions below, and reflect on it a bit. It does resonate.

soap opera: Definition from Answers.com

I feel happy now. I finally understand. LOST is even listed on soapcentral.com.

4.) Some folks believe LOST is an adaptation (loosely) of "Lost Horizons" written by James Hilton in 1933. An interesting premise.

A quick summary of "Lost Horizons": "While attempting to escape a civil war, four people are kidnapped and transported to the Tibetan mountains. After their plane crashes, they are found by a mysterious Chinese man. He leads them to a monastery hidden in "the valley of the blue moon" -- a land of mystery and matchless beauty where life is lived in tranquil wonder, beyond the grasp of a doomed world. It is here, in Shangri-La, where destinies will be discovered and the meaning of paradise will be unveiled."

It's a wonderful book; if you haven't read it, I highly recommend it.

Well, that's it, time to shut off the LOST obsession, for me anyway. HA, maybe I will watch the DVD's sometime after all ...
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Riva

I wonder whether the writers knew they were going to hit a brick wall but just kept on going by exploiting the loyal fan base???

But nice ending I must admit. I can't see how it could have ended in any other way. But there was way too much dragging. The series was based on dragging.

There were many exciting points in the series but those points couldn't be put together. And at the end it was the drag that kept the show alive.

Thus began Jacob's plan to bring candidates to the Island to do the one thing he couldn't do. Kill the MIB. He had a huge list of candidates that spanned generations. Yet everytime he brought people there, the MIB corrupted them and caused them to kill one another. That was until Richard came along and helped Jacob understand that if he didn't take a more active role, then his plan would never work.
    Well he must have not listened to Richard since he didn't take an active role even after meeting Richard.

--

Jacob was the biggest disappointment in the show. He did not for once meet the candidates and explain what is going on. Nor did he tell the others. And the others were doing the MIBs work all along thinking they were working for Jacob. It could be argued that he was testing their loyalty?

But then, about Richard.

Why didn't Jacob meet him and explain that they were following the wrong person? He (Jacob) if couldn't trust anyone could have easily trusted Richard. Richard had been loyal to him for a very very long time. But he chose to keep even him in the dark. That was terribly strange. Or was it bad writing? Were they expecting Jacob to have a bigger role but ended up making him an awkward/lousy decision maker since they had to end the show and didn't have time to give his a superior role?

Arghhh!

Riva

And about the MIB.

Why was he evil? Was he evil at all? The only thing he wanted was to leave the damm island. Why wasn't he allowed that in the 1st place? Would he have turned in to such a sociopath if he was allowed to leave?

And I was expecting him to be a demon (something Biblical) of some sort and Jacob to be a Guardian. But the only thing the MIB was a desperate person who wanted to leave the island and Jacob a do gooder who didn't allow that to happen for..... ? Yes what for??? Why didn't he allow him to leave the island??? Because his step mother who killed his real mother didn't want him to?

But he did have demonic powers. Turning in to smoke and practically being invincible. But that he got thanks to Jacob.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Yeah, Jacob fucked him up. I think the real MIB was dead, what was left was that desire to leave and the hate for the island, and I understand it was better not to let that thing leave.
    MIB didn't really do anything wrong, he was the victim.

Riva

I wonder whether Jennifer cried after seing the endind (with all it's loose ends).

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Curzon View Post
    I wonder whether Jennifer cried after seing the endind (with all it's loose ends).
    I did... but not as much as I'm crying over your bad spelling and grammar.

I appreciated this blogger noting the difference between emotional and analytical closure in the middle of the piece.
    The 'Lost' finale: It's hard to let go - The Watcher

Quote Originally Posted by The Outsider View Post
    Yeah, Jacob fucked him up. I think the real MIB was dead, what was left was that desire to leave and the hate for the island, and I understand it was better not to let that thing leave. MIB didn't really do anything wrong, he was the victim.
    I don't feel comfortable calling either of them bad or good.

Jacob got screwed over too, remember; he never wanted the job but he was too responsible to just abandon his obligation ... nor alleviate his own guilt in the death of his brother.

It also doesn't justify all the people that TMIB killed on the island. The castaways were trapped too... but for many of them, killing others was a hard line they were not willing to cross, yet the TMIB didn't even flinch. He was a self-absorbed pragmatist, vs Jacob's inflexible moralist. As much as you'd like to separate the human TMIB from his "darkness," I don't know if that is possible; it was still "him" and thus his responsibility regardless.

Both of them seemed like both victims as well as instigators to me. Both had been orphaned, both had been screwed over by people they loved (their "mother"), and neither really wanted to be in the situation they were in.

I'm guessing Hugo handled things much differently than Jacob did.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I did... but not as much as I'm crying over your bad spelling and grammar.

I appreciated this blogger noting the difference between emotional and analytical closure in the middle of the piece.
    The 'Lost' finale: It's hard to let go - The Watcher
    Hey!!! :steam:

Getting used to lap tops here. Can't be freaking go back and correct spellings. *mad*

Ps- Admit it Jennifer, there were too many loose endings and the writers were probably explotiing it's fans. they knew the fans would keep on watching it till the end. The fans were loyal and they knew it. They want the ratings more than anything. And I wouldn't be surprised if it's directors would face a lot of criticism throughout their careers for the mess they made here.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Curzon View Post
    Ps- Admit it Jennifer, there were too many loose endings and the writers were probably explotiing it's fans. they knew the fans would keep on watching it till the end. The fans were loyal and they knew it. They want the ratings more than anything. And I wouldn't be surprised if it's directors would face a lot of criticism throughout their careers for the mess they made here.
    I can't admit to something I don't believe to be true, so let's leave it at that, thanks. You're entitled to your opinion, regardless of how simplistic I personally believe it to be.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I can't admit to something I don't believe to be true, so let's leave it at that, thanks. You're entitled to your opinion, regardless of how simplistic I personally believe it to be.
    Jennifer this thread says 'Lost' WTF?

So I am being a valuable contributor to the thread. Everone else is too.

You are just crashing our party again. Go start a new thread.

I love lost and I stand alone.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Hey Curzon, read my last post up there re soap opera; it may resonate and bring you closure and even peace about the "loose ends" ...
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching