User Tag List

First 162425262728 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Let's not even mention how Jack died in the end even after being immersed for hours in the "holy" water, which supposedly cures everything - he should have been at the very least 20 years younger when he got out of it. Storyline writers - a bunch of moronic chimpanzees that can't even be coherent on the most basic aspects of their own creations. Not to mention that "...and they all flew to heaven" was an expedient typical of small-kid stories - I think such a "complex" show needed something slightly less inane.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    IsTP

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Let's not even mention how Jack died in the end even after being immersed for hours in the "holy" water, which supposedly cures everything - he should have been at the very least 20 years younger when he got out of it. Storyline writers - a bunch of moronic chimpanzees that can't even be coherent on the most basic aspects of their own creations. Not to mention that "...and they all flew to heaven" was an expedient typical of small-kid stories - I think such a "complex" show needed something slightly less inane.
    Nooooo, you just don't understand, it makes perfect sense!!! When the rock was moved from the light all the rules stopped applying which is why "Locke" could die and Jack could be hurt... Yeah. Right. It. All. Makes. Perfect. Sense.

Speaking of shit that doesn't really make sense. If TMIB became the SM because of being tossed into the light, how come Jack or Desmond or any of those skeleton dudes down there didn't become one? Meh...
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by kendoiwan View Post
    Nooooo, you just don't understand, it makes perfect sense!!! When the rock was moved from the light all the rules stopped applying which is why "Locke" could die and Jack could be hurt... Yeah. Right. It. All. Makes. Perfect. Sense.

Speaking of shit that doesn't really make sense. If TMIB became the SM because of being tossed into the light, how come Jack or Desmond or any of those skeleton dudes down there didn't become one? Meh...
    MEH.....

MEH........

MEH...........
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    and they all flew to heaven" was an expedient typical of small-kid stories - I think such a "complex" show needed something slightly less inane.
    Deus ex machina - the standard device of weak writers who fail to resolve their own plot lines into anything interesting.
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    Deus ex machina - the standard device of weak writers who fail to resolve their own plot lines into anything interesting.
    And yet two days later... still posting about it!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Oh I like that link Jennifer posted in another thread, the author even used the same example I did!

Were the bigger questions of the show answered? Not really. Exactly what was the energy source of the island and what was the island itself? Who originally made all the rules? We don’t know. The writers said that they were not intending to answer all the questions.

There had been speculation for years that Lost was based on some kind of ancient mythology, and while there are certainly elements and themes from various mythologies, in the end, the writers seemed to be writing a new mythology for the island all on its own.

So, the energy source becomes something symbolic and not specific.

That will be enough for some viewers, but not for others. Some of the folks who wanted very specific answers will be disappointed. Others, who can live without having every single question answered will be fine and perhaps enjoy some of the debate as to what these things mean.

But what do you really want? One of the most disappointing scenes I’ve ever seen in cinema was the whole “scientific” explanation of the Force as the result of something called “midichlorians” in The Phantom Menace. I really don’t want that level of detail. So, while perhaps I will always have questions over the nature of the island on Lost, I’ll have to settle for the fact that it was simply a magical place where the normal laws of physics and time do not apply.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    And yet two days later... still posting about it!
    They just can't let go.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    IsTP

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Oh I like that link Jennifer posted in another thread, the author even used the same example I did!
    My quote > Your quote!

It was clear from the start that the story could not stretch beyond a season or two without being resolved or completely rethought. Admitting that, and pitching the show as a limited series or mini-series, would have meant going to cable or working with much smaller resources, and you can’t blame the show’s creators for not wanting that. But it always made their protestations about how the show threatened to get away from them ring a little hollow.

And on the other hand: the ending was also elegiac and beautiful, with its stately pace, its elegant cross-cutting between Jack’s death on the island and his awakening in the present, its long shot of the cast arrayed in the church pews like passengers in an airplane. The actors seemed relaxed and genuinely happy, and Matthew Fox, as Jack, underplayed nicely (in a scene where shot after shot was ripe for overacting). The final image of Jack’s eye closing, a reversal of the show’s opening moment six seasons ago, was just right.

As it so often had been, “Lost” was shaky on the big picture — on organizing the welter of mythic-religious-philosophical material it insisted on incorporating into its plot — but highly skilled at the small one, the moment to moment business of telling an exciting story. Which is to say, the picture that actually fit on the television screen.
    Television - No Longer
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

^^^
    I like that.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

But wait, there's more!

Damon Lindelof (creator/producer) back in 2008:

There are some questions that are very engaging and interesting, and then there are other questions that we have no interest whatsoever in answering. We call it the midi-chlorian debate, because at a certain point, explaining something mystical demystifies it. To try and have a character come and say, "Here is what the numbers mean," actually makes every usage of the numbers up to that point less interesting.

You can actually watch Star Wars now, and when Obi-Wan talks about the Force to Luke for the first time, it loses its luster because the Force has been explained as, sort of, little biological agents that are in your blood stream. So you go, "Oh, I liked Obi-Wan's version a lot better." Which in the case of our show is, "The numbers are bad luck, they keep popping up in Hurley's life, they appear on the island." ... But if you're watching the show for a detailed explanation of what the numbers mean—and I'm not saying you won't see more of them—then you will be disappointed by the end of season six.