User Tag List

First 122021222324 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    ^ yeah, if you haven't seen it stay outta this thread. ;P

ok so having not followed lost much at all this season, did they actually have those experiences together? were they all on that flight? was there even a real plane? i am getting conflicting information online. did claire really have a baby? why was penny there? gaahh! lol
    The alternate timeline was not real, it was some sort of afterlife. The original timeline was real (confirmed by Christian at the end of the show).
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    ^ yeah, if you haven't seen it stay outta this thread. ;P

ok so having not followed lost much at all this season, did they actually have those experiences together? were they all on that flight? was there even a real plane? i am getting conflicting information online. did claire really have a baby? why was penny there? gaahh! lol
    Everything on the island was real (plane crash, surviving, living and dying). Everything in the sideways was purgatory-ish.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    My only beef with the show is wondering why some characters were there in the church, but then others weren't. Presumably Walt was not because with a time-traveling show and a growing boy that's an issue, but what about, for example:

Penny was there, Ana Lucia was not.

Am I missing something or is this fact significantly lame?
    From what I understand, it's this:

Characters that redeem themselves (or were never really "bad" in the first place) were in the church. Characters that didn't redeem themselves became the whispers you hear on the island.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

My only beef with the show is wondering why some characters were there in the church, but then others weren't. Presumably Walt was not because with a time-traveling show and a growing boy that's an issue, but what about, for example:

Penny was there, Ana Lucia was not.

Am I missing something or is this fact significantly lame?
    I thought it was a bit lame they didn't gather everyone they could like Michael.

Though I'd have fallen out of my chair if Mr. Eko showed up.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    From what I understand, it's this:

Characters that redeem themselves (or were never really "bad" in the first place) were in the church. Characters that didn't redeem themselves became the whispers you hear on the island.
    I figured that's why Michael wasn't there, but no Ana Lucia, no Eko . . . I get that the mystery-questions were never important, simply interesting, but it seems like this final church thing was sort of central enough to do very thoughtfully.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

P.S. I never bought into Sayid-Shannon.

Sayid already had a great lost love. Shannon was just a fling. I don't know why they went that way with them yet again.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I figured that's why Michael wasn't there, but no Ana Lucia, no Eko . . . I get that the mystery-questions were never important, simply interesting, but it seems like this final church thing was sort of central enough to do very thoughtfully.
    I'm guessing it would have been logistically impossible to get all of the hundreds of actors in the show together for that final scene. Once you're missing one character, does it matter if you're missing another?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I'm guessing it would have been logistically impossible to get all of the hundreds of actors in the show together for that final scene. Once you're missing one character, does it matter if you're missing another?
    Well, if this one scene is so important, and they want fans to not be pissed off by a lack of logic, a simple one-liner referencing the missing characters, saying they were on their way or something, would maintain coherency. Now the answer to the character-driven story seems lame because the one thing that should make sense in the character-driven Lost (i.e. not the scifi fans of Lost) does not cohere.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Well, if this one scene is so important, and they want fans to not be pissed off by a lack of logic, a simple one-liner referencing the missing characters, saying they were on their way or something, would maintain coherency. Now the answer to the character-driven story seems lame because the one thing that should make sense in the character-driven Lost (i.e. not the scifi fans of Lost) does not cohere.
    I guess I don't find the scene to be that important.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

The alternate timeline was not real, it was some sort of afterlife. The original timeline was real (confirmed by Christian at the end of the show).
    Everything on the island was real (plane crash, surviving, living and dying). Everything in the sideways was purgatory-ish.
    Why does everyone have to insist the island was "real" - they could have been dead the whole time and their souls having this experience together "on the island". Just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    P.S. I never bought into Sayid-Shannon.

Sayid already had a great lost love. Shannon was just a fling. I don't know why they went that way with them yet again.
    There, there, I know ...

---

Was thinking more about the show last night (gah, that's another reason I stopped watching this show; drags you into that world) there was a great deal of religious symbolism in that episode (more white out) ... with Jack - the cleansing of the water, like a baptism or communion, drinking from the cup. Moving to the light. Jack was even pierced in the side ... like Jesus ... with his disciples ... and like Jesus, dies alone at the end as atonement for the sins of all.

Anyways. If there had been a plan from the outset, and the series was kept tight to this theme of redemption, with the characters always carrying the weight rather than the puzzles and supposed symbolism and foolish constructs like alternate timelines muddying the waters, it would have been IMHO a much superior product at the end.

I checked out a couple of the Losties boards for context this morning; a lot of people want to believe that the island was "real" and the sideways world some type of holding place / purgatory ... it's almost a rationalization to want to believe that, at this point.

There's a movie that reminds me of this and I am struggling to remember the title ... will post once it comes back to me.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching