• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Last season of "Lost" aka WTF?!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^ I don't know ... maybe just to make it more controversial? Generate more talk and spin? I'm just going from the press statements.

Whatever. People can be suspicious of anything, if they want to be.

And LOL, taking LOST at face value? That's almost impossible!

We're not discussing taking content at face value as to its meaning, we're taking official statements and basic writing process at face value. You're mixing the two.

The last scene of Lost in the writers'/directors' minds was Jack closing his eye. That meshes on EVERY level -- whether artistically, writing, actual content of show, whatever. Intuitively, that's likely what was intended, since no other scenario even comes close. There was nothing more to say.

The ending credits is the typical half-assed stuff publishers or companies do to their author's books or director's movies to market / spin them.

And since the exec's have already 'fessed up to adding the pics to help people shift out emotionally during the credits, why do you feel the need to continue to harp about it?

But as I said earlier, interpreting LOST as a soap makes it all make sense. :) I am at peace.

If so, then you don't need to keep telling us.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've watched the final season, despite pretty much losing interest in it at the start of the season. However, although there are some plot twists that still don't make sense in a natural way to me.

I am quite satisfied with the fact it's all just another near death experience. I would have been much more satisfied with an open ending though, where the island and not Jack is at the center.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am quite satisfied with the fact it's all just another near death experience.

:doh:

It wasn't, we discussed this throughout the end of the thread.

Only the flash-sideways of Season 6 was anything close to what you're describing... and it wasn't a "near death" experience, it was an "after death" experience.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Actually before death. Therefor near death. He doesn't accept death until the last moment and then he dies. As obviously portrayed, time during the show was not real time. It was the flow of time of someone looking at one picture, and that picture was the show. An emotional rationalization.

Why would it be an after death experience? I don't see any evidence that says that he was in some form of an afterlife. And it is clear that it's all about Jack, all the other 'survivors' were nothing more but figments of his imagination. Parts of the picture he was looking at.

If the show intended it to be an after death experience, which makes no sense to me at all. I would be very dissappointed with the fact they ended up centering it around Jack and not around the Island and other survivors.

Also, Jacks behaviour throughout the last season is that of a dreamer able to influence his own dream. He lets go of all external rules, albeit slowly, and merges himself into the picture, becoming the picture. A person that is slowly awakening from his nightmare, becoming a hero in his own dream.

Wait, why am I arguing this. It's open for interpretation, this is my interpretation. Take it however you will. :p

I just try and place myself in the shoes of the writers. What are they focusing on, why are they focusing on it, what reason do they have to go in certain directions, what are the most logical explanations to their obvious preferences of what they want you to see. My main arguement is that the center of the last season, without a doubt, is Jack. It all evolves around Jack, from Jack. If the island was external to Jack, then the writers would have included multiple endings centering each survivor. Instead, other survivors all 'realize' in order to get Jack to 'realize'.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
And since the exec's have already 'fessed up to adding the pics to help people shift out emotionally during the credits, why do you feel the need to continue to harp about it?

I don't. I'm the one who first posted that information here actually, as an FYI for those interested. I only added a link yesterday to said information and then answered Guffy's question too.

I wouldn't call that "harping".

If so, then you don't need to keep telling us.

I do sense your irritation with the topic, but it's not my intention to annoy you while working out my own thoughts and feelings on the subject.

I examined and pondered my questions and discovered an explanation I can be satisfied with. This kind of dissonance is something I always feel a need to dissect.

Why can't I say it again? :cry:

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The journey of Lost meant far more than the terribly disappointing destination in the final episode.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Some of snarky responses to the questions are true, some questions aren't really all that important, or just coloring to the story.

kendoiwan

I am Sofa King!!!
MBTI Type
IsTP
I thought this was already a known thing. :huh: I heard that Lost wasn't planned beyond the first season or two back when I was watching it.

Anyhow, five years later, and you're still posting about it...is it safe to say that you have a love-hate relationship with Lost? ;)

Nope. Go back in the history of this thread and witness me at the time, telling folks the writers were just jerking us around, and see them bend themselves into fanboy/fangirl pretzels trying to make sense of it. I had a love hate relationship with folks who aren't even around anymore for me to say "I told ya so :harhar:". :(

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Quoting gossip rags a few years after the show ended? And snippets of back-room talk and people shooting the shit? Who cares about this gossipy stuff?

Meanwhile, it was pretty damned obvious from a writer's perspective that they threw some stuff in early on in an attempt to stir up potential ideas, even while they had a generous portion of character backgrounds (more of the show core) figured out. Writers all do that; it's just that in an unfolding TV series, you don't get to backtrack and erase stuff that ended up not being able to be worked in. Novelists remove that stuff in second draft. It's one of the problems with "on the fly" story creation, although if you're good at it, you can add things that are flexible enough that you can work it all in.

The polar bear thing was pretty stupid to begin with, and it's no wonder they just dropped the idea and focused on the stuff that was more easily pulled together. I think trying to explain too much of the island at the end was a mistake, since the explanation sometimes is not as strong as the mystery, but whatever.

kendoiwan

I am Sofa King!!!
MBTI Type
IsTP
Well what do ya know, one of them is still around, but she's no longer bending into pretzels to justify the plot that made no sense, she's just denying the plot had to make sense to being with because... characters. :hi:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Lost co-creator reveals the original three-season plan for the show

More cases of studio interference, I guess. It's always been a perpetual battle.

But it would make sense if they wanted to wrap things up within 3-4 seasons max, because Season 4 was where it started to go downhill.

Lindleof's done a lot better in series where he was allowed to determine his own end dates for his storie.

Codex

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Lost was never really about the island. It was about the group and their relationships!!:cry::cry:

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Lost was never really about the island. It was about the group and their relationships!!:cry::cry:
Lost was a logical telling of the..
..oh wait, maybe it was an account of the facts ..
..oh wait, it was not that either. But maybe it reflected the human condition
..I don't know for sure, but it seems like the Lost was a TV programme