User Tag List

First 2101112131422 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

As for too much time on his hands - yes, he admits as much on the site!

I mean, you have a theory, and you take the subsequent data and try to make it fit the theory ... that's the real question. Since he came up with his theory about what LOST is in 2006, is all the rest just trying to make everything that has happened since "fit"?

If the guy is right, hats off to him.

Edit: thinking about that, it would give the writers so much latitude, so much opportunity to set / reset, recompile ... what a dream, you don't have to follow the rules when the rules are more widely spaced than just the parameters of reality.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    IsTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I would agree that there is a "game" going on.
    Too busy crying to watch next weeks previews?
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by kendoiwan View Post
    Too busy crying to watch next weeks previews?
    There were games in the previews... but nothing I hadn't seen before.

As I said, a "game" is obvious; but I've seen the same motifs used in countless movies without it being taken to a manufactured level of detail as this person does. It's a bit contrived. The devil is in the details, not the overview, of next week's episode.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    ...Edit: thinking about that, it would give the writers so much latitude, so much opportunity to set / reset, recompile ... what a dream, you don't have to follow the rules when the rules are more widely spaced than just the parameters of reality.
    I'm more bothered by how, if you try to trivialize it too much into a game, the audience feels cheated emotionally. This is why "it was only a dream" endings really get some backlash.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

I agree. Strangely, in a way though, that would enable me to forgive the writers for the very thing that made me stop watching in the first place ... how they yanked the characters around.

But it better be a FANTASTIC ending if that's the way it plays out. Or yes, you would feel cheated. Like, the camera pans out, and this little kid turns off the computer (ha let's say it's Walt) and the scene fades out to black ... "Yay mom, I beat the video game!"

Or like Trelaine in Star Trek ...

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqQa1Xhu9cQ"]Trelaine has been a bad boy ...[/YOUTUBE]

Mommy, I don't want to go home, I still want to play with my toys!
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I'll be so pissed if this dude's "it was all a video game" idea is true.

I think he's taking things a mite literally.. all the game motifs & imagery.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I'll be so pissed if this dude's "it was all a video game" idea is true.
    Yes, I feel it cheapens it.

I'm not under the impression Abrams would approach it that way, either. He tries to "play fair," it's one reason I enjoy his work. But we shall see.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Just chatting with my daughter - she reminded me, "Remember when you stopped watching ... you were mad and said - this is just a game to these writers!"

There's more compelling evidence to add, supporting the theory, right there!

And the more I reflect on the concept, it is pretty genius. You're in a game but you don't know it. Classic god-scenario. Usually the audience gets clued in sometime along the way though, or else it is just a cheap plot device.
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Just chatting with my daughter - she reminded me, "Remember when you stopped watching ... you were mad and said - this is just a game to these writers!'
    lol, oops, she has you there. Kids... they do not let ANYTHING slip!

There's more compelling evidence to add, supporting the theory, right there!

ANd the more I reflect on the concept, it is pretty genius. You're in a game but you don't know it. Classic god-scenario.
    It's just funny, because based on what I know of you (and the whole INFP thing), wouldn't you feel indignant if your life was just a game someone else was playing? Or isn't it a big deal, just because you know ahead of time it's not real, it's just a story anyway?

(Serious question, it's fascinating to see the respnses. )

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

If I watched LOST the WHOLE time, I would be SO MAD unless the ending was just fabulous - orgasmically and cosmically life-altering.

Pull the "life is just a game" card, at the end? Oooooh I'd be steaming!

That being said, if I was let in on the story a bit at a time, suspected an organized plot behind the seemingly random elements, I'd be more willing to go along. The disconnect for me was the people - people have rules too, and the writers (to me) were just playing with them and messing with their consistencies for no apparent reason (that I could see.) So, to connect emotionally with them, then see them suffer / die / change etc. seemingly at another's whim ... frustrating.

Now, if this guy's theory is true, and the character's reset to good or bad, or color to good or bad (like Fable) that explains the part I liked the least. So, that would at least make me happy there was some reason behind the madness.

And yes, if my whole life existed only for the purpose of someone else's entertainment, that I felt real pain and experienced difficulties for no other more substantial reason than being the puppet to another's amusement, it would seem black and hollow and empty ...
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

If I watched LOST the WHOLE time, I would be SO MAD unless the ending was just fabulous - orgasmically and cosmically life-altering.
    Ugh. Well, I'm not expecting THAT much.
    ...And any orgasmic tremors are pure icing.

...Now, if this guy's theory is true, and the character's reset to good or bad, or color to good or bad (like Fable) that explains the part I liked the least. So, that would at least make me happy there was some reason behind the madness.
    That makes sense now. Thank you for explaining.

And yes, if my whole life existed only for the purpose of someone else's entertainment, that I felt real pain and experienced difficulties for no other more substantial reason than being the puppet to another's amusement, it would seem black and hollow and empty ...
    It doesn't matter if it's true.
    I'm still going to win.

(srsly, tho, yes... it would seem like such a waste. But now we are venturing into areas of religion and faith...)