• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Starship Troopers

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Anyone read the book?

I was very impressed with it and was surprised by the amount of moral philosophy Heinlein incorporated in it. It has a very real feel to it.

The movie was a total bitch slap to the face of the book. They are so different it is ridiculous.

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
What came before?

I liked the movie :(

Campy, funny, good action.

The sequels were el terrblé though

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
Starship Troopers was published in 1959.

Anyone read the book?

I was very impressed with it and was surprised by the amount of moral philosophy Heinlein incorporated in it. It has a very real feel to it.

The movie was a total bitch slap to the face of the book. They are so different it is ridiculous.

Many times.

The movie was just a Hollywood movie. All flash, no substance, no attempt to remain faithful to the book.

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ
That movie was so cheesy that I couldn't get enough. :laugh: Hmmm...maybe I'll read the book someday.

Dark Razor

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I think I read it three times, but can't give a detailed review as this was quite some time ago. I recall that I was quite impressed by it though.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Out of all the movies, only the first was 'decent' to me. In terms of being a potentially serious sci-fi.

The sequels were fun to watch, had a certain this-badly-made-flick-makes-it-funny vibe to it. But it sucked in every other way.

Haven't read the books, so knowing the movies I wouldn't have read them at all. But if you say the storyline and events that happened in the movies, do not happen in the books. And it's an entirely different story, I might be interested in the books a bit more. :p

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
Yes, it was a unique/interesting concept. I was curious how people felt about the philosophy in the book.

Let's see. The only people allowed to have a say in making decisions in the government are those who have paid for it(not with money). I like it. :D

I firmly believe in the 'Bread and Circuses' phenomenon. It's rather obvious.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
The movie was great. I was fairly ground-breaking at the time for the realistic SFX of the bugs (on a close-up and grand scale), and it was also the most violent/gory movie of its time in the sense of how the soldiers got slaughtered by the bugs. Face-melting on a grand scale, etc. It was actually pretty shocking. I enjoyed the campiness - it really worked since the whole movie was kind of framed like an advertisement for military service...

Timeless

Playnerd
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I never read the book, but I liked to movie, not the sequels to it though. They sucked bug ass.

My gut tells me the book might be better though as I know most story-to-film adaptations out there suck.

WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Dark Razor

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I liked the theme of the book in so far as that only people who served their term in the military are allowed to vote / get to enjoy the full range of civil liberties, as obviously stupid and / or lazy people should not be allowed to vote / influence important descisions. However, it appears such a philosophy would only be applicable in a frontier type of society, where an external enemy can be clearly identified. I a peaceful society, military service would lose its significance / meaning and a different selection process would have to be found.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
I liked the theme of the book in so far as that only people who served their term in the military are allowed to vote / get to enjoy the full range of civil liberties, as obviously stupid and / or lazy people should not be allowed to vote / influence important descisions. However, it appears such a philosophy would only be applicable in a frontier type of society, where an external enemy can be clearly identified. I a peaceful society, military service would lose its significance / meaning and a different selection process would have to be found.

You forgot, civil service also counted. But the time before you got your franchise was longer.

But yeah, just a few changes are needed.

Timeless

Playnerd
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
If you haven't read it, pull your head out of your ass and do it.

Over my dead body!

ill-violated-dead-smiley-4663.gif

O

Oberon

Fluffy, the book has a talking bomb. You want to read it.

"I'm a thirty-second bomb! I'm a twenty-nine-second bomb! I'm a twenty-eight-second bomb! I'm a twenty-seven..."

A great exercise in psych warfare.

O

Oberon

The movie utterly short-changed the concept of powered armor, or so I'm told... I never saw the film. But I read the book multiple times in high school, and it was extremely formative.

"On the bounce, trooper!"