• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Movies that make an impact

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I didn't see a thread for people to discuss movies that they found particularly profound or that made a significant impact on them and a chance to discuss the reasons why.

We just watched "Monster", and I would like to come back and comment on it more. I was glad to see they took an emotionally and psychologically complex approach to the story. Has anyone else seen it? or another movie you would like to discuss?

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
This movie left a deep impact... on my colon.

deep_impact_ver2.jpg

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The Matrix? and The Truman Show.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I have a long list that would qualify. For me one movie that comes to mind immediately is Life Is Beautiful. It's like a comedy mixed with the ultimate tragedy. There is really no other movie like it.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I loved the original Clash of the Titans...as a kid loved mythology...especially Greek/Roman...today the myths still aid me as metaphores. Cant wait to see the remake coming out this week. Release the Kraken!

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Memento - do you lie to yourself to be happy?

Trainspotting - choose life?

Ravenous - eat to live, don't live to eat

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
We just watched "Monster", and I would like to come back and comment on it more. I was glad to see they took an emotionally and psychologically complex approach to the story. Has anyone else seen it? or another movie you would like to discuss?

I saw Monster a few years ago. Not only was it a tour de force by Theron, but it was just an extremely honest portrayal of the woman. I don't remember much of the detail, I just remember appreciating the honesty and its willingness to embrace complexity and ambiguity.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I didn't see a thread for people to discuss movies that they found particularly profound or that made a significant impact on them and a chance to discuss the reasons why.

The movie that had the biggest impact on my thinking was a documentary called the Corporation. I work in corporate America for and with many of these large corporations but hadn't really thought about the origin of the corporation and what its impacts are on society, life, etc.

I'm afraid I didn't like Monster that much.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Critters made an impact on me, since I was too young when I watched it and believed those furry balls to be real. :D

There are a ton more movies that made some form of impact on me. In the past few years, the key to impacting me is by surprising me with interesting plots and sources of intellectual perceptions.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Crips and Bloods: Made In America (2009) directed by pro skateboarder and director Stacy Peralta

This movie is a must-see if you have the remotest interest in gangs, African-American history, the history of Los Angeles or sociology.

musicnerd93

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm probably just a wuss, but I found "Mr. Holland's Opus" incrediblly moving. I was bawling my eyes out!

"The Pursuit of Happyness" also got me. The whole thing I had a lump in my throat.

O

Oberon

Taps.

George C. Scott, Timothy Hutton, Sean Penn, and a very young, bulked-up Tom Cruise... it was quite the interesting film. Makes you wonder whether you should really believe in the things you believe in.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
-Modern Times (Chaplin)

-La Grande Illusion (Renoir)

-Citizen Kane (Welles)

-Les visiteurs du soir (Carné)

-The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Leone)

-Last Tango in Paris (Bertolucci)

-Dersu Uzala (Kurosawa)

-La chambre Verte (Truffaut)

-Yol (Güney)

-Blade Runner (Scott)

-Der Himmel über Berlin (Wenders)

-The Dead (Huston)

-Jacob's Ladder (Lyne)

-The wind will carry us (Kiarostami)

-The Thin Red Line (Malick)

-Schindler's List (Spielberg)

-Eternal Sunshine of the spotless Mind (Gondry)

recent movies:

-Waltz with Bashir (Folman)

-Slumdog Millionaire (Boyle)

-Gran Torino (Eastwood)

Arthur Schopenhauer

What is, is.
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I haven't been profoundly changed, in any way, by any movie that I've actually watched.

Having said that, I've caught a few glimpses of, the theatrical trailer, a few Youtube slices, etc., from a odd flick called,: Synecdoche New York, and I have been entranced ever since. -- I won't be watching the movie though, as the overall idea I pulled from those few short minutes is probably just my own strange formulation of what the movie is about, or what the characters are like, personality-wise, storyline-wise, etc..

The ideas I pulled are wonderfull though. Who knows? Maybe I will watch it - even though my high and probably unmeetable expectations will undoubtably ruin the thing for me, forever. Maybe.

Beorn

Permabanned
Alright I'll answer seriously. The one movie that moved me personally was We Are Marshall. Now I know it really wasn't a great movie... I don't really care for Matthew McConaughey although I think he managed to keep his shirt on in this movie.

The thing is the american side of my family is from just outside of Huntington, WV. So despite the low quality of the film it was still able to connect me to a tragedy that had a real impact on my family's community.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP

1. Requiem for a Heavyweight
2. I am a Camera
3. Reflections from a Golden Eye
4. East of Eden

Matrix did not have her. Or Newman. Or that Jamie.