User Tag List

First 123 Last

Reigning Bologna Princess Rajah's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    I've been trying... I really have... you should of seen how much less clear my writing has been before..

And I agree that quality writing in philosophy is primarily about clarity ... and being succinct is a factor too...Truth is most beautiful when stated in as few words as possible.
    (I know I'm derailing the thread... sorry. I'd split the thread, but I can't. )

Especially if you're apt with language, it's hard to delete a particularly good turn of phrase. I look at it like cleaning house. Write it, and strip out anything unnecessary, down to the last comma. And don't fall in love with what you've written.

I know I can make my revision one or two paragraphs, but I'm also trying to do actual, paid work simultaneously.

I... suppose. Yeah!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah View Post
    I can.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I can.
    Hmpf, Ms. Powerwielder.

Maybe the original revision, for context?

EDIT - Color me impressed! I knew you'd do it, anyway. You're awesome.

I... suppose. Yeah!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    I've been trying... I really have... you should of seen how much less clear my writing has been before..
    Well, I'll agree with that. I noticed your efforts. And it's also a long process, to learn to think in a different way and then condense stuff to retain coherence/truth and decide what level of nuance might be unnecessary.

One thing to always consider is your audience.

And I agree that quality writing in philosophy is primarily about clarity ... and being succinct is a factor too...Truth is most beautiful when stated in as few words as possible.
    See? he is an INTP, he is, he is! (Or he's just trying to trick us.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I moved out the off-topic posts from Eileen's Agnostic Devout thread and copied a few that were still on topic there, for context.

MBTI
    INXP

Especially if you're apt with language, it's hard to delete a particularly good turn of phrase. I look at it like cleaning house. Write it, and strip out anything unnecessary, down to the last comma. And don't fall in love with what you've written.

I know I can make my revision one or two paragraphs, but I'm also trying to do actual, paid work simultaneously.
    Working in a professional environment helps, don't you find? I write "clever" pieces that are crossed through by an editor (boss) and then I do the same to others.

At the end of the day, it is about getting the point across in a succint accurate way. Using a word that few understand should be a last resort, if a more widely understood one will not suffice.

Of course, it's also fun to write on multiple levels, to see if people pick a subtext, but get the basics right first.

-Geoff

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Working in a professional environment helps, don't you find?
    Legal training definitely helped. It makes me wonder why lawyers are, on the whole, such terrible writers.

Actually, my first foray into editing was in eleventh grade. I took a Writing II class that focused only on editing -- how to strip things down to their essence.

It was the most useful class I've ever had.

I... suppose. Yeah!

MBTI
    type

I'll say the same about my technical editing class and (to a lesser degree) about the user documents classes.

Seems to have helped my creative writing, too.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    INXP

Legal training definitely helped. It makes me wonder why lawyers are, on the whole, such terrible writers.
    Could it be because the legal profession attracts some quite pompous rule obsessed naysayers? Sorry, I don't include you in that.. but it does, right? Regardless of the training they just like to witter on in a pompous manner sometimes.

Also, many legal firms seem to charge by the page. Never a good idea when balancing that with succintness. That certainly used to be the case, but maybe is less common in today's email world?

-Geoff

MBTI
    type

I suspect it has to do with learning to temper iNtuiting with Sensing in your writing.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.