INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Othon View Post
    Psht, I too was going to do Pan's Labyrinth. x[
    Five stars indeed.
    Why am I the only one who is not fond of that movie?

I like Guillermo del Toro, but I just didn't like that movie.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    No, I think it's just because I'm sick of going to the movies with my father all the time because I have no one else to go with...I'm 22, but I feel like I'm 10. My attempts to be more independent have so far failed.
    Cheer up, bud.

MBTI
    ISXJ

Quote Originally Posted by Othon View Post
    Psht, I too was going to do Pan's Labyrinth. x[
    Five stars indeed.
    Yeah, that was on my list as well. I just bought it brand new on DVD for $7.99...I guess it's not too popular (although it should be). I've seen a good number of Spanish films (since it was my major in college) and Pan's Labyrinth is by far the best I have seen.

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

here's some international flavour.

1. The Movie Title
    Lust, Caution

2. Is this movie shown at the movie theatres or can we rent it?
    You may have to rent it where you're at.

3. Give us a brief synopsis of the movie without ruining it for others who haven't seen the movie.
    A group of idealistic students, during the Japanese occupation years in Shanghai, come up with a plan to entrap a Japanese sympathizer / traitor. But what starts as games soon erases innocence and lives.

4. What did you think of this movie?
    A beautifully shot movie of little looks and gestures. The emotional detachment and moral ambivalence strangely makes the sensuality and unspoken despair more absorbing.

The opening scene of the women languidly playing mahjong, with perfectly coiffed hair, cheongsams and red, red nails, exchanging small talk laden with innuendos, captures the time when women were women still.

Questions the price of ideals, what makes a man. The fragile lines between love, desire and duty.

5. Was it worth watching?
    Yes. But it is not a movie for those without patience. Or prefer happy endings.

You end up feeling let down by the hero, attracted to the villain and fascinated by the flawed heroine.

6. How would you rate this movie? (1 star being very bad and 5 star being excellent, would highly recommend)
    Among the better Chinese films I've seen this year.

7. Any other thoughts or comments about this movie?
    The sex scenes were censored in China, where a wag quipped "If 200mn Chinese saw those, they may be inspired and we'd end up with 100mn new citizens 9 months from now".

MBTI
    INTP

I didn't find it particularly interesting. Just a bunch of random "fantasy" scenes padding out a basic story that's not particularly compelling or original. One of those movies where it ends and you go "WTF? That was it?"

Uh, last really good movie I saw was:

1. The Movie Title

"Children of Men"

rent it

3. Give us a brief synopsis of the movie without ruining it for others who haven't seen the movie.

Set in a near-future England after an unknown medical condition has rendered all humans infertile, the story revolves around a depressed and cynical government employee who ends up responsible for the well-being of a young girl who he discovers is pregnant. In the wake of the wrrldwide crisis that has resulted from universal infertility, the British government has resorted to harsh measures to control a burgeoning population of immigrants. The pregnant girl, an immigrant, is first seen in the care of a radical organization fighting for immigrant rights, but the main character believes that they will only try to use her for political ends. He also does not trust the authorities, who would fear the political implications of the first human child born in twenty years being an immigrant. He thus seeks to safeguard the girl long enough to make contact with an organization rumored to be studying the infertility in the hopes of curing it.

I was impressed. It has very realistic feel to it, especially for a film with a science-fiction premise. The cinematography creates a very compelling sense of being in the real world. The characters are well fleshed out, complex, and very believable. The film avoids common cliches--the hero (played by Clive Owen) is a complicated, flawed individual struggling to do the right thing under difficult circumstances, definitely not a one-dimensional action hero.

Definitely. Like I said, I was impressed. It's compelling, interesting, and ultimately moving.

6. How would you rate this movie? (1 star being very bad and 5 star being excellent, would highly recommend)

Four to five. I never give anything a perfect rating, but this one was better than anything I've seen in years.

The scenes showing how immigrants are treated in government detention camps are genuinely frightening. The film does a good job of telling a story with a lot of emotional weight without resorting to melodrama, and addresses political issues without wearing an agenda on its sleeve. I didn't think they made movies like that any more.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

1. The Movie Title
    Killer Klowns from Outer Space

you can rent it

ummm... basically a similar concept to The Blob, except for it's evil alien clowns instead!

It's so horrible that I it!!! (the people who made it were aware that it was bad, so it's bad in a GOOD way!)

totally! I suggest the game of "drink every time you see a clown!" you'll enjoy it!

****1/2

bad 80's horror movie- in a good way!

YouTube - Killer Klowns From Outer Space Theatrical Trailer (1988)
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    1. The Movie Title
    Killer Klowns from Outer Space
    In that case, you would like Santa's Slay. Once I saw the opening scene I was captivated.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

oooh- sounds awesome! I'll have to check that out!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

It's not just you. I enjoyed the movie, but I don't get the rapturous reviews. I really liked the parts with the evil general, but the fantasy parts failed to grab me.