User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What makes Alice in Wonderland so appealing?

Senior Member Array ObliviousExistence's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Just another ISTJ View Post
    This is something I've pondered from time to time, especially after hearing about Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland opening with a record setting$112 million weekend. What makes Alice in Wonderland so special for so many people?

It seems to hold some sort of personal importance, particularly from NFs based on my observations. If I were to wager a guess, it has to do with the world that is presented. One that is entirely the construct of someone's imagination. Other than there anything else to it that I'm not seeing?
    I haven't watched the movie yet, but I've read the book and am a huge Lewis Carrol fan. I saw the preview and I am a bit dissapointed as it seems totally different from the book.

The reason I liked the original story is because of all the humorous word play and satire. fantastical yet profound nonsense is what I would call it.
    "He was free, free in every way, free to behave like a fool or a machine, free to accept, free to refuse, free to equivocate; to marry, to give up the game, to drag this death weight about with him for years to come. He could do what he liked, no one had the right to advise him, there would be for him no Good or Evil unless he thought them into being." JP Sartre

I read the first page and that was it. I apologize in advance if I talk about things that others have already said.

For me, Alice in Wonderland is a magical story. I am 30 years old and still get lost in the book. It is timeless, innocent, beautiful, dark, twisted, nonsensical, dream like, magical, and imaginative.

I love the story and it brings to mind Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

A world like our own but dreamlike. A place where anything can happen from talking disappearing cats to tea parties with talking rabbits. I want to live in Wonderland!

It also has an ageless wonder to it that can never be outdated, both for generations and in terms of a universal appeal to young and old. Every time you read it you find something mystical in the book.

I have yet to see the new movie but really, really want too. Tim Burton is my favorite director.

One day and the next Array Rainne's Avatar

I've read the book. Wasn't really that great. =(