User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What makes Alice in Wonderland so appealing?

6w7 sx
    SEE Fi

Alice in Wonderland is also a story about self-discovery ... it's a story in which a young girl realizes that she can take control of her own destiny. Both in the original story and the recent film she has a moment where she has this epiphany.

It's also just a delightful tale about a strange world. The vocabulary in the novel itself is exquisite, and the play on words is delightful.
    "Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul." - Edward Abbey

SEE-Fi /Gamma

That's my name biotch! Array JoSunshine's Avatar

I was out-voted when I went to the movies with a group last friday and ended up in Alice in Wonderland. I didn't think I would like it - I was right.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. " - Dr. Seuss
    I can't spell...get over it

Slightly ENFJ, totally JoSunshine
    Extroverted (E) 52.5%........Introverted (I) 47.5%
    Intuitive (N) 65.63%..........Sensing (S) 34.38%
    Feeling (F) 55.56%............Thinking (T) 44.44%
    Judging (J) 51.43%............Perceiving (P) 48.57%

Symbolic Herald Array

I loved the Alice books as a kid. Maybe it is an NF thing: an absurd, illogical world where Alice tries very earnestly to make sense of what is going on around her and adapt, all while she is being misunderstood. When I was little, I too, felt like I could easily slip into another world at any moment. Its more about a Victorian dream-world than a drug world. Its so much inventive poetry, songs. I appreciated it even before I knew how full the books are of references to things in Carroll's day. They aren't for everybody. If you can't appreciate the mysterious world, maybe you'd appreciate how many logic problems and mathematical concepts are in the books.

I recommend the Annotated Alice books by Martin Gardner.
    Look to the books, too, if you want to understand the phenomenon. The movies don't really portray the books that well. Some versions are truer than others, but its difficult to capture the magic and all her internal monologue. Maybe the 1999 TV movie was the truest.

A group of us went to see this movie with an ISFJ friend of ours who is a huge fan of the Alice books. She really didn't like this version of Alice. Her favorite part of the books is how the world always seems mysterious, i.e. you often can't tell if a creature is going to be benevolent or not, and you don't know what weird thing is going to happen next. Also the books (and other movies) put more effort in making you see things from Alice's perspective, i.e. you feel like you are Alice.

I personally see this movie more like "Alice in Narnia". It felt more like a Narnia story than a Wonderland story. I.e. after a little while you get used to being in this magical world, the animals are totally benevolent, and Alice is there to fulfill some prophecy.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)

INFj None

I haven't read the books, but I hated the Disney version. I hate trippy things like Fantasia and the drunk scene in Dumbo.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

eating bugs out of hair. Array prplchknz's Avatar

1.)tim burton
    2.)johnny depp
    3.)alot of people enjoyed the book by lewis caroll and like tim burton and want to see his spin on it (why I saw it) not too mention I think Johnny Depp is one of the most talented actors of the era.

not too mention the last movie I saw in theatres was clover field.
    by @magpie

Courage is immortality Array Valiant's Avatar
    8w7 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Beats me. I never found much to like in the story. I suspect, much like The Wizard of Oz (another movie I don't see the appeal of), it's too far removed from reality for me to have anything to grab onto.
    Yeah, I get the same from lots of things...
    I love fantasy etc, but it will have to be scientific in a way, almost.
    I hate these drug-inspired crap stories.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

insert random title here Array Randomnity's Avatar
    6w5 sp/sx

Never liked the book, movie trailer didn't appeal to me so I haven't seen it. A few friends saw it and didn't like it much, so I doubt I'll see it.

Not a big fan of Tim Burton's movies in general actually (I know, blasphemy). To me it seems like he just tries to make weird-looking movies and everything else normally found in movies(plot, character development, etc) comes a distant second in priority.
    -end of thread-

People want to be kind of odd and alternative without actually being kind of odd and alternative.
    "... generalities are intellectually necessary evils. Not philosophers, but fret-sawyers and stamp collectors compose the backbone of society."

I didn't see the movie because it was directed by Tim Burton. The original was one of my favorite movies of all time. I couldn't watch it be destroyed.