User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

Default Why I Stopped Playing MMO's Years Ago...

"How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I don't think it's especially creepy. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than booze, etc.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Creepy? That's not the adjective I would use. Manipulative, sure.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

All hail the power of effective marketing.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

there's nothing crazy about it. After all, people pay thousands of dollars for diamonds, even though diamonds do nothing but look pretty. A video game suit of armor looks pretty and protects you from video game orcs.

Too true!
    Why do so many of us have that void? Because according to everything expert Malcolm Gladwell, to be satisfied with your job you need three things, and I bet most of you don't even have two of them:

Autonomy (that is, you have some say in what you do day to day);

Complexity (so it's not mind-numbing repetition);

Connection Between Effort and Reward (i.e. you actually see the awesome results of your hard work).
    And this is true too.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Bastards. MMO's never managed to keep me interested though. I think I'm too much geared towards aesthetics. That's how I can play a game like Shadow of the Colossus more than most games with gameplay variety.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Bastards. MMO's never managed to keep me interested though. I think I'm too much geared towards aesthetics. That's how I can play a game like Shadow of the Colossus more than most games with gameplay variety.
    Interesting. See I am attracted to the essential game systems and how that comes together into something fun. Like in WoW, I find the combat system very good, and the custom UI possibilities practically make the game for me. No other MMO I've played has as smooth a gameplay experience in terms of movement, ability execution, animation, etc.

Contrast this with say, God of War: a game built purely on an aesthetic and a presentation, yet the actual combat is an unresponsive, shallow, clunky, easy mess. I can't have fun with a game like that, while I can love Ninja Gaiden despite the fact that there is no story and completely lame, setting wise. But the system the game is built on is executed flawlessly.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Interesting. See I am attracted to the essential game systems and how that comes together into something fun. Like in WoW, I find the combat system very good, and the custom UI possibilities practically make the game for me. No other MMO I've played has as smooth a gameplay experience in terms of movement, ability execution, animation, etc.

Contrast this with say, God of War: a game built purely on an aesthetic and a presentation, yet the actual combat is an unresponsive, shallow, clunky, easy mess. I can't have fun with a game like that, while I can love Ninja Gaiden despite the fact that there is no story and completely lame, setting wise. But the system the game is built on is executed flawlessly.
    Sure, no, I definitely can get really into a game like Ninja Gaiden. But after mastering the mechanics I start getting pissed off..."why the fuck did they have to such cheesy art style in a game with such cool gameplay? why the fucking cliches and unrealistic cheesiness? arachnid goddesses with huge boobs? reaaallly?

It's all about immersion and... satisfying my need to be immersed in a fantasy world which I find compelling. Riven and the other Myst games, for example, try to do radically different things, have little in the way of that classic kineticism...but they polute my self-conscious like no one....in a good way.

I prefer fillet mignon over hamburgers, when it comes to videogames. Popcorn doesn't satisfy me as much as creme brulee. I tend to judge a game's quality very holistically. So the gameplay isn't the most addictive thing in the world...if it feels well balanced in all areas... gameplay, visual style (not graphical "quality"), music, story...then it gets my vote.

I can usually tell if I'm going to like a game or not, based solely on what it hopes to accomplish. That's why you won't see me ever fainting over a game by Epic, for example. But Rez will blow my mind, even though the gameplay is still the same as Space Harrier or Panzer Dragoon, pretty much...it's about the whole experience.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I just read that article yesterday. Interesting, though nothing new, just rephrased (that chinese game with the chests sounds freaky though - I hate the idea of paying RL money for in-game items, regardless of the price). I learned about the random reward thing in psychology years ago and I do think it's interesting and applicable to many things in life, not just MMOs.

I started playing my first MMO (warhammer online) last summer and I still play often but I don't think I'm addicted to it any more or less than my other video games, which I also enjoy. I'm kinda ADD about that stuff though - I'll love it and play excessively for a few weeks then get bored and switch games (returning later - I have a nice rotation going now with 4-5 games).
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

I think it would be interesting to look at this article in light of the old arcade games that made money based on how long people kept playing. I wonder if there are any parallels...
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM