User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTx

The "virtual slot machine" bit was never anything new. I'm going to pick on Blizzard here, they worked the gambling aspect to incredible effect with Diablo I and Diablo II. They are masters of virtual gambling.

What I found interesting was:

The terrible truth is that a whole lot of us begged for a Skinner Box we could crawl into, because the real world's system of rewards is so much more slow and cruel than we expected it to be. In that, gaming is no different from other forms of mental escape, from sports fandom to moonshine.
    This resonates with me. I played Warcraft quite a bit, but it didn't ruin my life or anything like that. I was already leeched of energy and motivation, I didn't like anything about myself, so I fumbled about for something to fill the time and get a sense of accomplishment from.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

I'm similar to Sytpg with the aesthetics. For me, if I get hooked by the aesthetics and the other aspects of the game don't piss me off, then I can really enjoy the game. Monster Hunter Freedom Unite for the PSP is a good example of this. At first the learning curve of the game pissed me off but I kept playing because I just loved the scenery.

I played WoW because of how everything just worked. I liked the graphics (with exceptions, but that just proves the rule because nothing is perfect) and the combat flowed well.

I'm still hooked on City of Heroes/Villains because of the aesthetics and the character creation system. On my server it is common to see people who spent hours developing a backstory for their character, it really helps my need for escapism - The scenery is epic with max graphics on, I cant wait for the new ultra mode to come out in a few months.
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Ah, David Wong the auteur who in 2004 maintained the video gaming industry was creatively exhausted and doomed to collapse. And then World of Warcraft was released; followed by Halo 2 and multiplayer matchmaking, the seventh-generation consoles, on-demand DLC, the casual gaming explosion, Left 4 Dead's supersession of shooting-gallery limitations of FPS titles Wong decried, and groundbreaking work like LittleBigPlanet and Flower.

Funny guy. Blinkered analyst.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Easing Them In:

First, set up the "pellets" so that they come fast at first, and then slower and slower as time goes on. This is why they make it very easy to earn rewards (or level up) in the beginning of an MMO, but then the time and effort between levels increases exponentially. Once the gamer has experienced the rush of leveling up early, the delayed gratification actually increases the pleasure of the later levels. That video game behavior expert at Microsoft found that gamers play more and more frantically as they approach a new level.
    Now I know why I don't usually get to the endgame of an MMO. I'm too impatient! Maybe I am resistant to the Skinner Box but easily hooked on other things, like art and story ideas... No wonder I love City of Heroes/Villains. The lategame grind is more like a lot of little pieces rather than 5 big pieces (like in WoW).
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

MBTI
    INFJ

I like the boobies be damned at the end. Teehee
    I may burst into random song or sit quietly and read. I may argue about something I know nothing about, or help those in need. I don't know everything about the world, but I know me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Nothing really new in this. Very repetitive article.
    Ne > Ti > Si >> Te > Se >> Fe > Fi > Ni
    5 so/sp
    Chaotic Neutral/Evil