• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Annoying movie cliches...

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
Long winded death scenes.
Over done killing scenes.
Unrealistic and childlike psychology.
Everything has to be s-p-e-l-l-e-d o-u-t so five year olds can understand every film going.
The whole Americans win again.
Female characters who no matter what they do never get touched unless it's to kill them, victimise them or their superhuman and so it's okay. Girls do fight, they don't always fight without honour and some of them could kick Arnie's ass.
The "artisitic" crowd pleasers. Personally I go to see a film to be entertained and not to learn about cubist poetry. Know your place and stick to your galleries.

HAHAHA. :nice: 100% agreed with everything.

Now that I think about it, I do think honor is largely thought of as a manly pursuit, and so women who actually kick butt in movies usually are superhuman or evil. I'd like to see more in-depth character studies of women. Most women roles in acting today are so flat and unrealistic. I think most people consider women's pursuits boring, maybe because normal women can't become samurai (like in The Last Samurai) or were mostly excluded from the action and power in history. Power isn't the only interesting thing, and neither is lopping off people's heads (thought I do think this is entertaining). I think there was one movie who had a good female protagonist recently - Whalerider? I forget the name. I'd like to see more women protagonists in more situations and plots, with much more in-depth exploration of their characters. I mean it when I say most of all female roles are flat, one-sided, and just plain unrealistic and boring. Mary-Jane in Spiderman was reduced to dangling from the top of a building in a taxi-cab, screaming her lungs out. Women are almost always portrayed in a romantic sense in movies. Can we see some women from outside the romantic vantage point? Do they all have to be in relationships? Do they all have to have the same damn static traits (coyness, level of beauty, etc)? Come on!

Carebear

will make your day
MBTI Type
INFP
It's more the effect that some movies have where they seem to want the audience to root for, or feel sorry for, the villains above some other people in the movies that gets annoying. ("He's a mass killer, but goes to church every Sunday", is annoying, while "He goes to church every Sunday, but is still a mass killer" isn't.)

Ah! I absolutely see that one. That is annoying.

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
("He's a mass killer, but goes to church every Sunday", is annoying, while "He goes to church every Sunday, but is still a mass killer" isn't.)

COMPLETELY agreed! The first quote connotes blindness while the second one connotes sense. These narrow-minded ways of seeing redemptive qualities in villains based on their religious habits is staggering to me. We are a society based on Jeudo-Christian beliefs, but come on people, token religious habits say nothing about a person. So many serial killers went to church and were pillars in their community.

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
COMPLETELY agreed! The first quote connotes blindness while the second one connotes sense. These narrow-minded ways of seeing redemptive qualities in villains based on their religious habits is staggering to me. We are a society based on Jeudo-Christian beliefs, but come on people, token religious habits say nothing about a person. So many serial killers went to church and were pillars in their community.

The church bit could have been substituted for "takes care of mom", "Friendly towards neighbors", etc.

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
The church bit could have been substituted for "takes care of mom", "Friendly towards neighbors", etc.

Yup. Exactly. These can all be token gestures and acts. Even psychopaths can be social and popular, pleasant, affable and trustworthy.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Yup. Exactly. These can all be token gestures and acts. Even psychopaths can be social and popular, pleasant, affable and trustworthy.

I think psychopaths are meant to be all those things. And then they eat you. EG: Dahmer

gretch

MBTI Type
ENFP
My only hated cliche' is that a villain is evil for evil's sake. I mean are all villains cacodaemonists? Villains shouldn't just be evil, just pushing their own seemingly reasonable agenda

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
The team of misfits whose pronounced differences cause all sorts of friction and hijinx, but who all pull together in the nick of time so that their very diversity becomes the source of their strength. Frequently become champions at the expense of some drab, uniform team of unimaginative, overconfident, caucasian bullies.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
The team of misfits whose pronounced differences cause all sorts of friction and hijinx, but who all pull together in the nick of time so that their very diversity becomes the source of their strength. Frequently become champions at the expense of some drab, uniform team of unimaginative, overconfident, caucasian bullies.

But Jeff, I loved Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story!

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We watched Baewolf, and I haven't laughed that hard in a while. What a first-rate dolt. It was beautifully clique, contrived, mindless, fuddy-duddy load of doo-doo. I even shed a little tear. :cry:

ygolo

My termites win
Hopefully only because it was a spoof of the afore-mentioned tired cliche. :yes:

But that's the very reason I watch sports movies. I know its coming, and I expect it.

What would be the alternative for a sports movie?

The band of "losers" continue to be lose for the rest of the season. The end?

More realistic, yes. But how do you make it a compelling story?

MBTI Type
INTJ
But that's the very reason I watch sports movies. I know its coming, and I expect it.

What would be the alternative for a sports movie?

The band of "losers" continue to be lose for the rest of the season. The end?

More realistic, yes. But how do you make it a compelling story?

I agree, I would call that a genre instead of a cliche. That said, a compelling story can be told where the hero(es) lose. What about Rocky?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Somebody mentioned Dodgeball earlier, but all kidding aside, have you seen the original ending that the director wanted? They get all the way to the final game with the rival team, it's close, but in the end they lose it and it fades to credits with them all disappointed and the rival team celebrating. It tested poorly, so they created the new (true to formula) ending.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Somebody mentioned Dodgeball earlier, but all kidding aside, have you seen the original ending that the director wanted? They get all the way to the final game with the rival team, it's close, but in the end they lose it and it fades to credits with them all disappointed and the rival team celebrating. It tested poorly, so they created the new (true to formula) ending.

That would have been AWESOME.

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
I did see that ending, it seemed like a "intellectually it may have seemed funny, but wouldn't have been that funny overall". The way they do the formul stuff at the end works out even funnier.