User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    Actually, I can offer a little insight on this one because I worked on the movie. Originally, LL Cool J was supposed to die and the British chick was supposed to live happily ever after with Thomas Jane. Preview audiences LOVED LL's character though, and HATED the British chick. And there you have it. Welcome to moviemaking by committee. (I don't mind though, I also liked LL and hated that chick.)

Wooow. Really? That is NEAT. How were you involved?

I like the ending to that movie because it did break cliches. The black guy didn't die and the stupid main couple didn't live happily ever after. I say, more movies should be made by popular opinion! If it leads to THAT kind of cliche-breaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Mempy View Post
    Wooow. Really? That is NEAT. How were you involved?

I like the ending to that movie because it did break cliches. The black guy didn't die and the stupid main couple didn't live happily ever after. I say, more movies should be made by popular opinion! If it leads to THAT kind of cliche-breaking.
    Oh, I just do administrative support for film production. Nothing glamorous in my job, although I do get a tangible result, which is nice. I agree with you, this is one of the few instances in which audience preview comments resulted in a better movie. If nothing else, this movie earned a modicum of respect from me for having Sam Jackson get eaten halfway through the movie...a TOTAL surprise.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I'd like to see more hot and sexy women get set on fire! The horrifying screams arouse me, actually.
    You should totally put that in your OkCupid profile.

Actually, I can offer a little insight on this one because I worked on the movie. Originally, LL Cool J was supposed to die and the British chick was supposed to live happily ever after with Thomas Jane. Preview audiences LOVED LL's character though, and HATED the British chick. And there you have it. Welcome to moviemaking by committee. (I don't mind though, I also liked LL and hated that chick.)
    Interesting.

*Puts the preview audiences and LL Cool J on his personal shit list*

MBTI
    INFP

Any character with a "proper" british accent is always going to be in trouble in an American movie. Regional british dialects not so much. It happens in Australian popular culture as well, but it's nowhere near as pronounced. We don't define ourselves as a nation by a war against England, after all.

I hate the cliche of running away to California for the better life.

As if, somehow when they get to California (usually Hollywood), all their problems will automatically go away.

I don't think there are THAT many people around who actually dream of making it big in Hollywood. But perhaps, it is a reflection of Hollywood being where the movies are made.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Carebear View Post
    I disagree. It adds realism and depth and goes against the quite common idea that EVIL is a thing of itself and not a collection of unfortunate events and unhealthy developments. Doesn't make me hate the evil char any less, as his actions are the same, but it avoids the black and white worldview. I also like it when the hero has loads of less favorable traits and ideas, but you still can support him because he works for the right end. I find it insulting if people expect me to believe that the world is boolean, while it is extremely intellectually rewarding to figure out shades of grey.
    It's more the effect that some movies have where they seem to want the audience to root for, or feel sorry for, the villains above some other people in the movies that gets annoying. ("He's a mass killer, but goes to church every Sunday", is annoying, while "He goes to church every Sunday, but is still a mass killer" isn't.)

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Inspired by an IMDb poll, what do you think is/are the most annoying movie cliche(s)?
    happy + endings. It is a cop-out on both counts.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Long winded death scenes.
    Over done killing scenes.
    Unrealistic and childlike psychology.
    Everything has to be s-p-e-l-l-e-d o-u-t so five year olds can understand every film going.
    The whole Americans win again.
    Female characters who no matter what they do never get touched unless it's to kill them, victimise them or their superhuman and so it's okay. Girls do fight, they don't always fight without honour and some of them could kick Arnie's ass.
    The "artisitic" crowd pleasers. Personally I go to see a film to be entertained and not to learn about cubist poetry. Know your place and stick to your galleries.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTP

THEATRE OF BLOOD...drip drip

Death scenes. Oh boy! Long too.. not long winded.
    Killing scenes. Not over done though. I should say efficiently done.
    Unrealistic and childlike psychology. Infantile to the bottom!

The best British film ever. Old Vinnie.