First 34567 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I just think it's usually just used as a joke (maybe comic relief, even), often by Skywalker Sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    At the end of Deep Blue Sea, the cold British science chick who was falling for the rugged-chinned ruddy action hero ended up being eaten by the shark and Thomas Jane got stuck buddying up with LL Cool J.

And they weren't even gay.

That was sort of unexpected.
    I hate that movie for doing that. Guys are expendable, fuck that guy. I kinda get that all the people responsible for creating the killer sharks were killed by the sharks in some kind of justice thing. Although she did strip down to her underwear at one point and thus under movie sharia is now a whore and had to die. Whatever. I still hate that movie.

...Hostel...
    For Hostel II, which I have not and will not see, I would like to do things to Eli Roth normally done to a potato. Stunted little idiot.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

I do have to say that hot fuzz did a nice job with a lot of cliches, just tweaking them slightly by sticking them in absurd situations.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I decided to broaden the definition of movie cliche somewhat:

• Morgan Freeman always playing the wise old black guy.
    • Angelina Jolie always playing the hottie (when she is, in fact, not that hot).
    • Reginald Veljohnson (Carl Winslow) always playing a cop.
    • Gary Oldman as a foreign psychopath. Don't get me wrong, this guy is my favorite actor, and he plays psychopaths well and differently each time, but he's also effective at playing a good guy, too (like Lt. James Gordon in Batman Begins).
    • The anti-Bush or anti-Republican themes that have become all to obvious over the years.
    • Tim Burton's neverending collaboration with Johnny Depp.
    • Bad movies that win Oscars just for being controversial.
    • Action movies shot in New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago.
    • Fantasy movies shot in New Zealand.
    • Underlying messages and themes.

MBTI
    INFP

Insects, arachnids, snakes, crocs, sharks, dinosaurs etc. that gets supernatural intelligence/strength/speed etc. without any explanation.

(Sure they "explained" the human intelligence (albeit not the omniscience) of the sharks in deep blue sea, but didn't explain how this intelligence made them able to crash through steel without any damage.)

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Zergling View Post
    Sympathy for evil characters: I don't want to know why some serial killer in a movie has a bad child hood and just needs attention. I had a divorce when I was young, got picked on at school, blah, blah blah, yet haven't killed anyone, and the general population doesn't care, so expecting the same for some serial killer is actually pretty insulting.
    I disagree. It adds realism and depth and goes against the quite common idea that EVIL is a thing of itself and not a collection of unfortunate events and unhealthy developments. Doesn't make me hate the evil char any less, as his actions are the same, but it avoids the black and white worldview. I also like it when the hero has loads of less favorable traits and ideas, but you still can support him because he works for the right end. I find it insulting if people expect me to believe that the world is boolean, while it is extremely intellectually rewarding to figure out shades of grey.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Carebear View Post
    I disagree. It adds realism and depth and goes against the quite common idea that EVIL is a thing of itself and not a collection of unfortunate events and unhealthy developments. Doesn't make me hate the evil char any less, as his actions are the same, but it avoids the black and white worldview. I also like it when the hero has loads of less favorable traits and ideas, but you still can support him because he works for the right end. I find it insulting if people expect me to believe that the world is boolean, while it is extremely intellectually rewarding to figure out shades of grey.
    I would have to agree with that. Just looking at some of the things that the "good people" I know think and do...we're all screwed up.

And I like my heroes flawed. They're tastier that way.
    We are not poets
    We have no right to make amendments

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Hmmm, lots, but currently: When the two protagonists meet hurriedly in a crowded area and start "whispering" all the secrets they are supposedly hiding by speaking about it in a very public place (while trying to maximize said number of people by simultaneously walking around).

I hate when the nerdy kid says or does something noble, and then you get the single popular kid standing up alone and doing the slow clap, soon to be joined by everyone else in a standing ovation.

I f'ing hate that slow, patronizing clap.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    At the end of Deep Blue Sea, the cold British science chick who was falling for the rugged-chinned ruddy action hero ended up being eaten by the shark and Thomas Jane got stuck buddying up with LL Cool J.

And they weren't even gay.

That was sort of unexpected.
    Actually, I can offer a little insight on this one because I worked on the movie. Originally, LL Cool J was supposed to die and the British chick was supposed to live happily ever after with Thomas Jane. Preview audiences LOVED LL's character though, and HATED the British chick. And there you have it. Welcome to moviemaking by committee. (I don't mind though, I also liked LL and hated that chick.)