User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Oberon

Mempy, for me the really scary film would be if all the victims are smart, do the right thing, and it STILL makes no difference. The bad guy would still be a step ahead, and they would still get picked off like flies.

Imagine Friday the 13th in which all the victims are smart, but instead of Jason they're up against Hannibal Lecter. Now there's a film!

Mempy, for me the really scary film would be if all the victims are smart, do the right thing, and it STILL makes no difference. The bad guy would still be a step ahead, and they would still get picked off like flies.

Imagine Friday the 13th but with Hannibal Lecter instead of Jason. Now there's a film!
    Exactly. I was going to say that, I think I started to mention it. 100% agree.

LOL, that would be an interesting premise.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    What makes you think I hadn't?

And believe me, I have considered this question before. I once included a scene in a radio play in which a character who seemed to be a female child (she wasn't) was tortured by captors. My director informed me that the scene, misleading or not, had to go, and he told me why.

Without a doubt it has probably been tried in art films. It never happens in studio releases for a very good reason... the reason I posted above. Audiences won't tolerate being asked to view the death (or torture) of helpless children at the hands of villains. It's not fun to watch, and people choose not to.
    I think I'd enjoy it. The way I hear children scream and cry in public places (especially during Xmas), I just want to beat the living crap out of them in the most horrible ways possible. Unfortunately, there is no legal way to satisfy that desire except through simulating it in entertainment media.

I'd personally rather see children getting slaughtered on screen than animals. And stop thinking this is a troll post. Just because you disagree with a post doesn't mean it's trolling.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I'd personally rather see children getting slaughtered on screen than animals. And stop thinking this is a troll post. Just because you disagree with a post doesn't mean it's trolling.
    Actually, I find this quite fascinating.

In terms of social roles, where do you think children fit?

Oberon

I don't think it's a troll post... I understand that it's from the heart.

But folks like you are too small a market segment to command Hollywood's attention.

Enneagram
    1w2

What makes you think I hadn't?

And believe me, I have considered this question before. I once included a scene in a radio play in which a character who seemed to be a female child (she wasn't) was tortured by captors. My director informed me that the scene, misleading or not, had to go, and he told me why.

Without a doubt it has probably been tried in art films. It never happens in studio releases for a very good reason... the reason I posted above. Audiences won't tolerate being asked to view the death (or torture) of helpless children at the hands of villains. It's not fun to watch, and people choose not to.
    There was a movie that came out last year Hounddog with Dakota Flaming. In the movie, Dakota Fanning's character is raped and the scene is depicted on screen. My movie group discussed the portrayal of violence against children in film. It was an enlightening discussion. Some people thought no matter the realities of violence towards children, it shouldn't be portrayed on screen.

There a various media American taboos that are usually adhered to be major news outlets. Example: you can show the body/blood of a dead non-American, but American bodies are always covered with the flag or something else obscuring it. You can show a starving and crying child but you can't show a child with a crying with a bloody nose because of abuse, etc. I'm pretty undecided about the subject myself. Sometimes people need to be visually shocked the only way to get proactive movement is to be graphic. The unfortunate consequence of this is that some people get their rocks off by this kind of stuff.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Another one is having hundreds of nameless extras killed, than be forgotten as the movie comes in and has the heroes save the day. In some movies this works, because the heroes have no chance to stop it, but in other cases it seems that some huge killing is committed just for excitement, which is less important than the personal stuff with the bad guys and good guys.

I don't think it's a troll post... I understand that it's from the heart.
    When someone says in an introduction "I say stuff that gets people's feelings up", that describes it pretty well.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Actually, I find this quite fascinating.

In terms of social roles, where do you think children fit?
    Well, considering children don't pay taxes and are of no use to society. They tend to get in people's ways and annoy them. With that said, they're in league with cockroaches if need be.

In a creative writing class, I wrote a short story in which the protagonist rapes and kills the antagonist's child to get revenge on the antagonist. It was a let the antagonist continue to live but be scarred for the rest of his life. (Yes, at heart, it was a good old-fashioned revenge story.) But my teacher gave me an F on it, despite saying it was highly creative, because he, like the rest of the world, is a whiny bitch. Now, do you think that was right, considering the class was called Creative Writing and as I said, he said the writing was highly creative?

That not being able to show or describe things like that in any art form is unconstitutional. If people don't like seeing babies get raped or slaughtered, no one's forcing them to watch it.

Wow. Let's talk about movie cliches, now.

Oberon

That not being able to show or describe things like that in any art form is unconstitutional. If people don't like seeing babies get raped or slaughtered, no one's forcing them to watch it.
    Oh, there's plenty of artistic freedom to make those sorts of films, and no doubt some have been made.

It's just that the films you see at the cinema aren't made in the interest of artistic expression... they're made to sell movie tickets and soda and popcorn. Films of babies getting raped and slaughtered don't do that, and so the people in Hollywood who are in the business of funding movies don't invest any money in them.

If you think there's an untapped market out there, get yourself some life-size dolls and a digital camcorder and knock yourself out. See how many YouTube hits you get.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Oh, there's plenty of artistic freedom to make those sorts of films, and no doubt some have been made.

It's just that the films you see at the cinema aren't made in the interest of artistic expression... they're made to sell movie tickets and soda and popcorn. Films of babies getting raped and slaughtered don't do that, and so the people in Hollywood who are in the business of funding movies don't invest any money in them.

If you think there's an untapped market out there, get yourself some life-size dolls and a digital camcorder and knock yourself out. See how many YouTube hits you get.
    Oh, I understand that. I was actually more referring to Protean's post about groups saying violence against children shouldn't be portrayed on screen. It's these people who corrupt the idea of freedom of speech. Why not burn books while we're at it?