User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP

People in horror movies who, with werewolves/vampires/zombies/aliens/whatever known to be killing people outside the house, still stand with their backs to an unbarred, inordinately large window while they discuss the crisis.

Women and (especially) children who do stupid things to take the characters from a position of strength to a position of vulnerability (eg running away from the safe place to find a pet, running off to get a keepsake, running away because they are scared). Lots of people end up dying needlessly, and the kids/women responsible (should they survive) are never made appropriately accountable. Especially popular is the child-running-off-to-find-pet combined with the concerned-unreasoning-shrill-mother-running-after-child.

Inability to insert keys into locks under any kind of stress.

Failure of car engines to start immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    People in horror movies who, with werewolves/vampires/zombies/aliens/whatever known to be killing people outside the house, still stand with their backs to an unbarred, inordinately large window while they discuss the crisis.

Women and (especially) children who do stupid things to take the characters from a position of strength to a position of vulnerability (eg running away from the safe place to find a pet, running off to get a keepsake, running away because they are scared). Lots of people end up dying needlessly, and the kids/women responsible (should they survive) are never made appropriately accountable. Especially popular is the child-running-off-to-find-pet combined with the concerned-unreasoning-shrill-mother-running-after-child.

Inability to insert keys into locks under any kind of stress.

Failure of car engines to start immediately.
    LMAO. So true. If I was being chased by something, I'd make sure I could see ALL entrances clearly, carry the best weapon I could find, and probably put my back toward a wall.

I was going to mention what you said about the women and children always getting themselves into danger and needing to be rescued. Specifically, I was thinking of women who always try to rescue a helpless stranger or child but end up putting themselves in danger as well, necessitating that a MALE come along and save the day. It plays into the stereotype that women are nurturers and men are protectors. Boring!

Why is everyone who isn't a leading male protagonist stupid? Why? Wouldn't we all much rather see very intelligent characters, with maybe only the occasional dumbass?

In scary movies especially, for the movie to keep going the sadistic psychopath needs to be vastly more intelligent than the pitiful mortals he's hacking up. All the victims are helpfully stupid, while the murderer is an omnipotent, all-knowing god - he's ten steps ahead of all the pitiful peons, can practically read their minds, and is everywhere they want to be. It would be MUCH more entertaining if the victims and the killer were more evenly matched. I'd rather see an intense battle of intelligence than a bunch of young, hot, dirty teenagers standing with their backs toward open windows.

The horror genre gets more stupid, poorly-made movies than any other.

Oooh, Recoleta, that Epitafios looks VERY interesting!

Thanks for the rec as well, Forfe. If I ever see the series in the store or hear about it, I'll take a second look.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I still don't understand why the never show children getting killed on-screen even in R-rated movies. It's usually just implied. There's no harm in taking risks...
    Audiences won't stand for it. There's no surer way to turn a film into a financial ruin.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Audiences won't stand for it. There's no surer way to turn a film into a financial ruin.
    Just think for a second about why the post this responds to was written.

Also, all non english speaking white people speak with a british accent.

Russians in Enemy at the Gate.
    Germans and french are usually british, sometimes nazis in WWII movies use a german accent.
    Romans are always british.
    True this one is, though for me its less an annoying cliche than just a cliche, along with bad guys having some sort of European accent.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Agreed.

Implicit cultural taboos probably restrict more content than we are aware.

That said, I still take issue with levels of brutality in specific "genre-oriented" films, like the Saw series; The Devil's Rejects; 8 MM; Hostel...etc. Try as I might, I always leave feeling disturbed (and slightly emotionally violated) after seeing these sorts of depictions.

Which is why I swore off the trade after Scream 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Agreed.

Implicit cultural taboos probably restrict more content than we are aware.

That said, I still take issue with levels of brutality in specific "genre-oriented" films, like the Saw series; The Devil's Rejects; 8 MM; Hostel...etc. Try as I might, I always leave feeling disturbed (and slightly emotionally violated) after seeing these sorts of depictions.

Which is why I swore off the trade after Scream 3.
    I agree. I couldn't watch Hostel after the guy started getting holes drilled into his chest. Those depictions leave me with a sick, heart-wrung feeling. It's hard to describe, but I don't think it's queasiness. It feels like my psyche as a person is coming undone. I just can't watch things like that.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Zergling View Post
    Just think for a second about why the post this responds to was written.
    What makes you think I hadn't?

And believe me, I have considered this question before. I once included a scene in a radio play in which a character who seemed to be a female child (she wasn't) was tortured by captors. My director informed me that the scene, misleading or not, had to go, and he told me why.

Without a doubt it has probably been tried in art films. It never happens in studio releases for a very good reason... the reason I posted above. Audiences won't tolerate being asked to view the death (or torture) of helpless children at the hands of villains. It's not fun to watch, and people choose not to.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Mempy View Post
    It would be MUCH more entertaining if the victims and the killer were more evenly matched.
    But the point isn't to make the film intellectually interesting... it's to put you inside a nightmare. And in nightmares, no matter what you do the monster has the upper hand.

That's why the films are like that.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Mempy View Post
    I agree. I couldn't watch Hostel after the guy started getting holes drilled into his chest. Those depictions leave me with a sick, heart-wrung feeling. It's hard to describe, but I don't think it's queasiness. It feels like my psyche as a person is coming undone. I just can't watch things like that.
    I've never liked bullies.

For me, I think the victimization of a "weaker" party by a "stronger" is what principally sickens me.

But the point isn't to make the film intellectually interesting... it's to put you inside a nightmare. And in nightmares, no matter what you do the monster has the upper hand.

That's why the films are like that.
    So noted. I thought of that myself, but I still think the movie would be more appealing if the characters were at least as intelligent as I am. Most crappy horror movies bank on the fact that their main characters are dumb - they can keep making stupid decisions that land them in the hands of the killer, and the movie can continue to its painful close.

The more realistic something is, the more nightmarish it becomes. If I can FEEL in my bones that this could really happen, it's horrifying. If the main characters are all idiots and the storyline is completely ludicrous, it becomes less and less scary. I'd like the main characters to be as smart as if not smarter than I am, and the plot to be realistic, because otherwise I can always step outside the movie and say, "Hey, this will NEVER, ever happen! And I'd never be that stupid," which makes me feel disgruntled and annoyed for the five bucks I spent renting the movie and the time I'm spending watching it.

I've never liked bullies.

For me, I think the victimization of a "weaker" party by a "stronger" is what principally sickens me.
    Mhmm. It doesn't sicken me, per se, to see a kid getting bullied by a bigger kid. But when torture of another human being is taken to such extremes as Hostel, and when I can see it in lurching detail, yes, it does make me want to heave.