User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Default Official 2010 Winter Olympics Thread

Same as the Super Bowl! Let's hear it out for our countries. I am dying to see a Team USA men's hockey gold in my lifetime. . .
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I felt that the opening ceremony was destroyed with the hour long interpretive dance/ballet/flute playing/history re-enacting spiritual garbage they tried to do. It really made me face palm. Also... slam poetry???

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by JustHer View Post
    I felt that the opening ceremony was destroyed with the hour long interpretive dance/ballet/flute playing/history re-enacting spiritual garbage they tried to do. It really made me face palm. Also... slam poetry???
    The slam poetry was brutally bad, as is MOST slam poetry (it's usually for people can neither write well, nor rap well, nor sing well). The ceremony got me a little annoyed, and I am actually a big fan of Canada.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENFP

I live in Canada and I turned the opening ceremony off. Vancouver is an amazing city and BC is one of the best places to live in the world. Don't tell me that's the best that can be done because it just wasn't very good.

I saw the video of the Georgian luge crash. It's insane how fast it was and I don't think anyone could have lived through that crash. That's a tough way to start the Olympics.
    ENFP Male: E-74% N-95% F-58% P-84% 3w2
    "I feel there are two people inside me - me and my intuition. If I go against her, she'll screw me every time, and if I follow her, we get along quite nicely." -Kim Basinger

MBTI
    INtP

I've always loved the Olympics (yeah, I know... corruption, etc. -- it still does it for me every time). However, I'm not a huge fan of the artsy ceremony stuff (although I admit some of those "plains nations" costumes were pretty awesome). I did what I usually do -- watched the parade of nations (which I love), and then turned it off.

NBC showed a (non-graphic) version of the luge accident. How horrible. I'm no expert, and hindsight's 20-20, but that wall definitely looked like it could have / should have been higher (for those that didn't / don't want to see it, the athlete crashed and was thrown over the side of the luge track). The people who are experts are saying that it was just a fluke accident and that the track's not unsafe -- but ouch. Poor guy and his family.

Hopefully it will be a good, fun games from now on.

I guess I'm getting up there in years, but I *do* remember this (barely):
    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g_VWqEqD6A&NR=1"]USA Hockey Gold[/YOUTUBE] Strange thing is, I'm not sure it's any more likely now than it was then -- things have changed in the world of sports.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    GONE

All I want to see is short track speed skating. Short track speed skating . Short track speed skating!! And maybe some figure skating. And those skiers who do all the fancy jumps in the air.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

Ski jumping! I'm watching it now! Awesome!!!
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Without Sasha Cohen I'm just not that interested in figure skating. I'll still watch.

I freaking love the Olympics. When else can you cheer for your country to beat the crap out of all the other countries and not be an asshole? (Note for the humor-impaired, I am just kidding. I like the other countries too.)
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Clonester View Post
    I live in Canada and I turned the opening ceremony off. Vancouver is an amazing city and BC is one of the best places to live in the world. Don't tell me that's the best that can be done because it just wasn't very good.
    I know. I kept thinking, "Oh, it looks like they're trying for Cirque du Soleil only it wasn't nearly as good", "oh, it was like they're trying for Barrage only it wasn't nearly as good" etc.

And also -- look, Canada, I know diversity is like, your thing, and all, but the Olympics is NOT the place for slam poetry!

Also, I wanted to slap the US athletes for having the gall to show up with those stupid fucking moose hats.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

As is the general rule for me, the more USA, China, and Russia fail, the happier I am.
    Go to sleep, iguana.