• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Lovely Bones

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I just saw this movie tonight and I enjoyed it immensely - I love flicks which are set in earlier decades - and Peter Jackson always excels with special effects and creating dream worlds. I was surprised, though, that it wasn't a little more dark or graphic. Maybe I'm just thinking of older Peter Jackson movies, but The Lovely Bones seemed to have a bit of a light touch, even considering the morbid subject matter.

Thoughts?

dani_elle

MBTI Type
ENFP
I loved loved loved the book and I thought the movie was mostly true to it.

Maybe its just because the book has a special spot in my heart, but I still prefer the book. (then again we are talking about one of my favourite books of all time.)

It's still a good watch though.

Aphex

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I really enjoyed the movie. The characters were great and the fantasy worlds were trippy as hell.

8/10

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I thought the movie was entertaining, and extremely well-acted.

I've never read the book, but I wished certain issues would've been delved in more thoroughly.

I've always grappled with the issue of the existence of serial killers and heinous crimes committed against innocents, and the movie did not really go to the necessary dark places that one must go to when thinking about such gruesome injustices.

She was raped and murdered by a monster.

How would one deal with their 14 year old daughter being raped and murdered?!!?

How do you let that rest!?!??

I dunno, I didn't feel any kind of resolution at the film's end, which is okay, I guess.

So... yeah.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I've always grappled with the issue of the existence of serial killers and heinous crimes committed against innocents, and the movie did not really go to the necessary dark places that one must go to when thinking about such gruesome injustices.

Very much agreed. :yes:

wren

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
I read the book and felt let down by the middle of the novel. The description of time, place and the relationships between the characters were strong in the beginning. Was pulled into the murderers life enough too, understood some motivations. Could relate to the era the family members lived and some of the thinking going on between them, but thought the author must have lost concentration at a certain point. The alternate realty/spiritual theme was lost also by the end, I felt.

Will probably watch the movie.

Liason

I'm more offensive in person!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just saw this movie tonight and I enjoyed it immensely - I love flicks which are set in earlier decades - and Peter Jackson always excels with special effects and creating dream worlds. I was surprised, though, that it wasn't a little more dark or graphic. Maybe I'm just thinking of older Peter Jackson movies, but The Lovely Bones seemed to have a bit of a light touch, even considering the morbid subject matter.

Thoughts?

Well, considering the lead actresses age -_-; but yes, the book I believe is quite better. You should defintely have a poke at it.