• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Best Love Songs. The Good, The Bad And The Ugly.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
NEVER!!!

I stand corrected.

The Knife's original does, in fact, have a heart. It's just an "icy" unfeeling one. Probably has a face full of make-up, designer shoes, and... implants?

;)

I disagree.

You didn't like the I&W cover of "Such Great Heights"?
omg if any cover was a great interpretation of the original it was definitely that one.

*makes note of this*

It's OK. It pales in comparison to the original. So does his newer "Love Vigilantes." The New Order original is just awesome.

Indeed, the Eric Lewis' cover is good, but it honestly doesn't even sound like the song to me. It more accurately sounds like an offshot of the original, not a cover (at least not in the terms that I define "cover"). Even his "flights of fancy" take away from the music and it comes off feeling a little gimmicky to me.

It is gimmicky to an extent, but gimmicks aren't necessarily bad. Sometimes it pays to go off the deep end a bit when doing a cover, because you need to make it your own. Stay too close to the original and people will just be reminded how much they liked the original. Want to hear a great example of a band really making a song their own? Try this. It's Blue Cheer's cover of "Summertime Blues."

[YOUTUBE=W4-rhMjH-tI]Blue Cheer - Summertime Blues[/YOUTUBE]

To clarify, Gonzalez's "Heartbeats" is not simply a "sleepy acoustic ballad." The song is so much more fluid the way Gonzalez plays it, much in the same way that Nick Drake made "Pink Moon" sound like the inside of a cove or something. The Knife's just sounds like trite commercial electronica. Can't get into that at all. Perhaps if I shopped at UO and owned a Mac, but otherwise I don't always have room for that kind of dessert.

I don't shop at UO and I am coming to you direct from an HP Pavilion, so I don't follow the comparison. Frankly, "more fluid" is not much of a consideration for me. The choppiness of the original is a big part of its charm. There is a lot more going on musically, and the juxtapositions hold much of the appeal. And "commercial" is not a negative in the least. "Heartbeats" is a heartfelt pop song. Nothing wrong with that.

*big sigh*

Okay, pure. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

It doesn't change the fact that it breaks my heart a little to know that someone doesn't hear what I hear when I listen to Gonzalez's cover.

:boohoo:

Quelle Dommage.

Maybe we both hear the same thing, but what we hear means different things to us?

Sorry, marmalade, but 80s synth pop?

:sick:

OK, you need a history lesson!

Does the fact that I'm a 90s kid through and through explain my taste in music?

It shouldn't. I am 27, and I'd take '80s synth-pop over most '90s rock.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I heart 80's synth pop. Don't make me get all Depeche Mode on your ass. ;)

Awww

:hug:

Hug For You.

I enjoy some 80s music. I love the Smiths, Joy Division, Altered Images, New Order, the Cure, Siouxsie and the Banshees, etc but there was more bad than :jesus: imo. *cringes*

MBTI Type
INTJ
Two I meant to put the first time around and forgot...which is crazy since the Beach Boys tune is one of the best pop songs of all time.

[youtube=NDfH_J4MAUQ]God Only Knows - Beach Boys[/youtube]

[youtube=xzkhOmKVW08]The Beatles - Something[/youtube]

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Awww

Hug For You.

I enjoy some 80s music. I love the Smiths, Joy Division, Altered Images, New Order, the Cure, Siouxsie and the Banshees, etc but there was more bad than :jesus: imo. *cringes*

It has nothing to do with age. I was a small child in the 1980's, and I love music from the 1920's through today. I'm deeply appreciative of certain bands that are currently popular.

I enjoy the bands you have listed here, plus more, primarily from '80 - '86...something bad started happening to mainstream pop toward the end of the decade that I don't like. However, that's when "alternative" music, college radio, and electronic really began to pick up steam.

Though I must tell you I do prefer that original version of "Heartbeats" ... how could you deny it???!!! :headphne:

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Awww

Hug For You.

In the post-WWII era of music, the '80s are second only to the '60s in the amount of great music produced.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't shop at UO and I am coming to you direct from an HP Pavilion, so I don't follow the comparison.

Actually, that bit wasn't a dig at you. I apologize if it came off that way.

I think you basically summed up this exchange when you said this:

Maybe we both hear the same thing, but what we hear means different things to us?

It's what the music means to us as individuals. We listen to what resonates with who we are and what we can identify with. I don't understand the Knife's "Heartbeats" and the Gonzalez's "Heartbeats" apparently bores you. And that's okay. We just have different tastes in music. I'd also bet (& I'm just taking a stab in the dark here) that we probably have very different takes on life in general. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

OK, you need a history lesson!

:laugh:

Okay...?

I am 27, and I'd take '80s synth-pop over most '90s rock.

Yeah. I had that one figured out already. :D

In the post-WWII era of music, the '80s are second only to the '60s in the amount of great music produced.

*strangles myself*

It has nothing to do with age. I was a small child in the 1980's, and I love music from the 1920's through today. I'm deeply appreciative of certain bands that are currently popular.

Oh. Well, I wasn't suggesting that it had anything to do with age. I was thinking more along the lines of "early exposure," but you're right. It doesn't really matter, I suppose.

Though I must tell you I do prefer that original version of "Heartbeats" ... how could you deny it???!!!

:angry:

AHHHHHH!!

:cool:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well, dang. That banana's so darn cute.

I think you may have a new convert.

:moonwalk: *dances to 80's synth pop begrudgingly with marmalade*

:banana2:

[YOUTUBE="4ysnkkrhlK4"]Dance With Me[/YOUTUBE]

mr.awesome

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
^ i love that song :] pretty sure i heard it on napolean dynamite and ever since i loved it haha.

atmosphere, not exactly a heart-wrenching tear jerker. but its a cute song nonetheless.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uxtenoGBFY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uxtenoGBFY[/YOUTUBE]

heres a beautiful acoustic song by josh ritter. pretty sure this has 100+ plays on my itunes alone. i really recommend all of you to listen to it.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvCeCVmJAUA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvCeCVmJAUA[/YOUTUBE]

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
This is so great.

[YOUTUBE=tOyyrB1wj04]When in Rome - The Promise[/YOUTUBE]

Ha ha - yeah, I already posted a link to that one on the first page :yes:.

[YOUTUBE="P61rF_y5BQQ"]Space Age Love Song[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="jV5w-CiUQV4"]C'mon Billy - PJ Harvey[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="JLWAOZSPJ9c"]Obstacle 2 - Interpol[/YOUTUBE]

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
[YOUTUBE="GwjxHzg-PgM"]I'm In Love - Wilson Pickett[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="rJx3cGc219o"]L-O-V-E - Al Green[/YOUTUBE]

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Damm I think listening to all of these love songs is starting to seriously mess with my Fe inferior.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
My favorite unrequited love song of all time: newer performances have singers with "cleaner" singing voices, but I prefer this one, due to the raw emotion that the singer's voice conveys.

[YOUTUBE="http://youtube.com/watch?v=WY-OXb38_r8&feature=related"][/YOUTUBE]

Edit: Damn technical difficulties, it the original London cast of Les Miserables, the song is "On my own." YouTube - On My Own, Les Miserables (Original London Cast)

Last edited:

wolfy

awsm
[YOUTUBE="Q0ZBaZoBCaA"]Chet Baker - Let's Get Lost[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="0Bnmh61fUmg"]Albert King - Howlin' For My Darling[/YOUTUBE]