User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ

Default Avatar causing depression and inciting racism?

This is absolutely ludicrous, but there was an article in the free newspaper Metro here in the UK that claims people are becoming depressed from watching Avatar and realising a utopian dream is impossible in this day and age. And the almost entirely white Earth force doiminating Pandora leaves eerie thoughts of colonialism in people's minds...

Has anyone heard of that? Does anyone feel adversely affected by the movie?

I think it's pure nonsense myself. I loved the movie, but I don't feel like a utopian world is impossible. Though as capitalism would be a difficult thing to defeat. The aggressive-dominant nature of our species drives us towards capitalism. The utopian Human society portrayed in shows like Star Trek would only likely arise from a near-apocolyptic end to the world.

I did however get an un-easy feeling at the nigh-complete white opressor, and the way the Na'vi were dressed in similar styles to African native tribes.

A brief on-line version of the article can be read on the Metro.co.uk site:
    Avatar fans struck with depression, amid racist message claims | Metro.co.uk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    infp

I didn't, I found it to be soul nourishing for my idealism.

I'm surprised it hit people that way, I watched The Road, now THAT was depressing, and that invoked a feeling of helplessness.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I did read this, ha. Let's be honest: Avatar is the largest leap forward the fetish community [particularly furries] has had in years. It's going to attract some nutjobs.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Why is it such a big deal if Avatar is racist/depressing? There are a ton of movies out there already like that.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

I remember feel resentful of the fact that living like that was indeed no longer possible in this world. Took me a day to shake that feeling.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Why is it such a big deal if Avatar is racist/depressing? There are a ton of movies out there already like that.
    Well to be honest, I don't care so much. The only thing that crossed my mind during the movie was the colonialism angle. But I was wondering if anyone on here had experienced such feelings.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ProperDave View Post
    Well to be honest, I don't care so much. The only thing that crossed my mind during the movie was the colonialism angle. But I was wondering if anyone on here had experienced such feelings.
    I dunno. Colonialism is history. It happened. We all know it. Therefore it is fair game in a writer's bag of tricks.

Enneagram
    1w2

I don't know how often non-white people notice this, but in many movies where there is an indigenous/native population being oppressed, it's usually not even a native person who "saves" them. It's usually some white guy who comes into the situation, gets adopted into the community and saves the day.

Basically, many times as this is portrayed on screen, people of color would like to be the controllers of their own fate. Why does a white man need to save them?

Here's the article I read about it and I agree. Parallel Universe: Some Detect Subtext of Racism in 'Avatar' It didn't stop me from enjoying the movie. Maybe I'm just more sensitive to such themes. *shrug*
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I don't know how often non-white people notice this, but in many movies where there is an indigenous/native population being oppressed, it's usually not even a native person who "saves" them. It's usually some white guy who comes into the situation, gets adopted into the community and saves the day.
    They do notice it.

Mighty Whitey - Television Tropes & Idioms

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

I'm going to paint myself blue from head to toe in protest of this film.
    Shit.
    I'll probably be mistaken for a Smurf.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro