IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Living like what?
    In tune with Nature.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Enneagram
    1w2

Ooh! Here's another article about why there aren't more black superheroes in the movies (excluding Will Smith and Denzel Washington).
    Comic-Con 2009 on MSN Entertainment
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    In tune with Nature.
    Believe it or not, I felt that way too. Either way, it didn't make me sad - more just pensive, I guess. Wondering what it would be like to sense a stranger in the midst or something like that.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    Hahaha, when Hitch came out, that was the biggest movie in Germany (where I was living) at the time.

Also, Independence Day and MIB were huge with him in the lead, although there were a lot of big name supporting actors.

I agree with him not being able to draw a crowd like that on his own, though. With the (inexplicable) exception of Hitch.
    Yeah, the one you mentioned are ones where he had white people costarring.
    The movies I mentioned were ones he seemed to be more the "lone star." The movie "Hancock," too, since I don't consider Jason Bateman an A-list actor and Charlize didn't really become prominent until Act II. None of them seemed to really do well, although they could have been better movies.

Here's a counter-question: What's the proportion of movies written by black people (both here in the States or overseas) that feature a non-black protagonist? Is this all just basically "authors writing about what they know" or is it something else?

The Matrix movies did wonderfully to try to have a lot of black people in the prominent cast (the Oracle, Morpheus, the head general, Niobe, Link, and others) but the races all seemed muddle together a bit.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Enneagram
    1w2

In tune with Nature.
    What's stopping you from being in tune with nature? I think that if you were willing to give up modern conveniences (including sanitation, clean drinking water, a ready abundance of food, hospitals, etc) then getting in touch with nature isn't impossible. The thing is, most people want to go back when "nature" shows its strength and stops being about gentle breezes in a rainforest.

I think that's what some of the complaints are about: that people are romanticizing this "simpler" way of life and the people.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yeah, the one you mentioned are ones where he had white people costarring.
    The movies I mentioned were ones he seemed to be more the "lone star." The movie "Hancock," too, since I don't consider Jason Bateman an A-list actor and Charlize didn't really become prominent until Act II. None of them seemed to really do well, although they could have been better movies.

Here's a counter-question: What's the proportion of movies written by black people (both here in the States or overseas) that feature a non-black protagonist? Is this all just basically "authors writing about what they know" or is it something else?
    Tons of black people write with interchangeable leads - normal, everyday people. People that would be seen as neutral. Directors choose to cast these leads as white.

Because, to be honest, if I were to write something I don't know if I would have that "black sound" that white people identify with black people. I mean, I didn't grow up in the projects so my voice doesn't count as black, I guess.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    Believe it or not, I felt that way too. Either way, it didn't make me sad - more just pensive, I guess. Wondering what it would be like to sense a stranger in the midst or something like that.
    For me it was more that the world that is Pandora pretty much resonates with my own internal world. Mine looks more European, but the flashy lights, the forest being alive, the connection between all living things...spot on. It made me realize that I'd never be able to live as in tune with Earth as they did with Eywa as our society doesn't allow for that. It's focussed on exploiting the Earth, not living in harmony with it, and I am unfortunately part of that system, unable to escape the way of life that it dictates (such as sitting behind a desk 8 hours a day, fast paced life, etc) I'm aware that it aint all peachy to live in a hazardous setting like the jungle of Pandora, but you know what...it would be worth it to me, I think.

I just felt jealous of the characters in the movie when I left and resentment towards our society.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Enneagram
    1w2

For me it was more that the world that is Pandora pretty much resonates with my own internal world. Mine looks more European, but the flashy lights, the forest being alive, the connection between all living things...spot on. It made me realize that I'd never be able to live as in tune with Earth as they did with Eywa as our society doesn't allow for that. It's focussed on exploiting the Earth, not living in harmony with it, and I am unfortunately part of that system, unable to escape the way of life that it dictates (such as sitting behind a desk 8 hours a day, fast paced life, etc) I'm aware that it aint all peachy to live in a hazardous setting like the jungle of Pandora, but you know what...it would be worth it to me, I think.

I just felt jealous of the characters in the movie when I left and resentment towards our society.
    Yes, I understand what you're saying.

I guess I view it as having six in one hand, half dozen in another. It's truly a matter of the grass/greener syndrome. My brother just came back from Ghana and was telling me about how emulative of the British the rich in Accra are and how even the poor seek to have as many trappings of the West as they can lay their hands on. Everyone sees the other situation as better.

In terms of quality of life, I'm quite happy where I am as I surf the internet...I mean work in my climate controlled office. I think I'll head to Chipotle for lunch!

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

It made me realize that I'd never be able to live as in tune with Earth as they did with Eywa as our society doesn't allow for that. It's focussed on exploiting the Earth, not living in harmony with it, and I am unfortunately part of that system, unable to escape the way of life that it dictates (such as sitting behind a desk 8 hours a day, fast paced life, etc)
    I think you're able to escape if you really want to. It's a choice to be a part of any society.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I think I'll head to Chipotle for lunch!
    Oh great, let's drive the "whitified" hispanics into things now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    I think you're able to escape if you really want to. It's a choice to be a part of any society.
    You can do anything if you are willing to pay the cost.
    But often the price is more than we want to pay.

In the end, it's best to realize it up front rather than getting lost in the angst and daydreaming without making any changes. I did that for far too many years.

But I can identify with you, Amarg, I spend a lot of my youth wishing I could just enter a lot of the fantasy worlds I loved so dearly and being able to commune with things on a different level. The stories I read were far more real to me and meaningful than much of my drab reality, I felt more engaged and alive in them. Living here sometimes seems like having had my eyes and ears put out and my skin numbed in comparison to what I have felt sometimes envisioning myself in another place.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft