User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ISTP

Yeah, I was depressed after seeing this movie...'cause I blew $11.50 on 3 hours that I will never get back.
    I 65.63% E 34.38%
    S 68.75% N 31.25%
    T 87.1% F 12.9%
    P 66.67% J 33.33%

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I think the point was to demonize colonialism, not embrace it.

As far as racism goes, well whether the movie was or not, life is just like that. It's the same old Pocahontas story. It is what it is - based on reality. No point in getting bent out of shape over it.

I didn't get depressed from this movie and I agree with Jock about the weird fetish angle and people who will now want to bang lizards.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    I think the point was to demonize colonialism, not embrace it.
    Good point, that makes more sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    I didn't get depressed from this movie and I agree with Jock about the weird fetish angle and people who will now want to bang lizards.
    Lizards make great boots, and wallets, and belts, but girlfriends? Hmmmm...
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Audiences experience 'Avatar' blues - CNN.com

Yeah, I think it can cause depression if your life currently feels very empty. Entertainment is often used as a vehicle for escapism anyway. (Where do you think the term "WoW Widows" came from?) The imagined world is yours for a small price for a short time, you get to experience what the characters experience, you often feel a sense of wonder over the magnificence of the vision you're engaging, and afterward it is right back to your old problems, which often have no easy resolution.

of course people to fail to recognize certain things about these cinematic utopias, which is that they are not utopias.

In this case, living as a native on Pandora:
    - No medical supplies or public sanitation, etc. This regulates the population size.
    - In hunter/gatherer societies, you spend much of your time hunting/gathering.
    - The social system is very strong and the rules unassailable. Out of survival needs, the tribe will cast you out or punish you if you cannot conform. You will be assigned a role and you will have to play it.
    - You have to pull that g-string out of your bum all the time.
    - You can very easily get killed (and eaten) if you're not careful in the jungle.

And so it goes.

The depression IMO comes from depression in real life that seems unmanageable, and having to see the mirage of Pandora only accentuates the pain and provides a momentary panacea in which to lose oneself.

I did however get an un-easy feeling at the nigh-complete white opressor, and the way the Na'vi were dressed in similar styles to African native tribes.
    Yup, even down to hair styles, side profiles, language, weapons, culture style, and the tribes riding in on their horses and getting mowed down by superior firepower. Still, like Jeno notes, it's just history. It's what the US did to the indigenous lifeforms of our country. The movie didn't actually show all the awful crap that people have done... like infecting blankets with smallpox and then giving them to the natives as a gift.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yeah, I think it can cause depression if your life currently feels very empty. Entertainment is often used as a vehicle for escapism anyway. (Where do you think the term "WoW Widows" came from?) The imagined world is yours for a small price for a short time, you get to experience what the characters experience, you often feel a sense of wonder over the magnificence of the vision you're engaging, and afterward it is right back to your old problems, which often have no easy resolution.
    This is why I haven't bought an X-Box or Wii yet. I know I'd procrastinate majorly with it and my real life duties would inevitable suffer.

of course people to fail to recognize certain things about these cinematic utopias, which is that they are not utopias.

In this case, living as a native on Pandora:
    - No medical supplies or public sanitation, etc. This regulates the population size.
    - In hunter/gatherer societies, you spend much of your time hunting/gathering.
    - The social system is very strong and the rules unassailable. Out of survival needs, the tribe will cast you out or punish you if you cannot conform. You will be assigned a role and you will have to play it.
    - You have to pull that g-string out of your bum all the time.
    - You can very easily get killed (and eaten) if you're not careful in the jungle.

And so it goes.
    My friend Nikki once told me:

"Do you know why the grass is always greener on the other side of the pasture? It's because there's alot of shit over there."

The depression IMO comes from depression in real life that seems unmanageable, and having to see the mirage of Pandora only accentuates the pain and provides a momentary panacea in which to lose oneself.
    Damn good post.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    I'm going to paint myself blue from head to toe in protest of this film.
    Shit.
    I'll probably be mistaken for a Smurf.
    On another note; 6 smurfs got on a Tube train with me one Sunday a month back...
    Well, they were staff from a bar, and they were on a pub crawl to celebrate something and had painted themselves head to toe in blue paint, wearing smurf hats and things.

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Lizards make great boots, and wallets, and belts, but girlfriends? Hmmmm...
    Well, they'd not get fat when pregnant... that's the only possible advantage I could think of... Though personally I think pregnant girls can be cute.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I don't know how often non-white people notice this, but in many movies where there is an indigenous/native population being oppressed, it's usually not even a native person who "saves" them. It's usually some white guy who comes into the situation, gets adopted into the community and saves the day.

Basically, many times as this is portrayed on screen, people of color would like to be the controllers of their own fate. Why does a white man need to save them?
    I guess this is the Hollywood stereotype that if there isn't a White hero, the movie won't do as well as a non-white one. I've heard one theory in that a White hero character is easier to relate to than another race.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by ProperDave View Post
    On another note; 6 smurfs got on a Tube train with me one Sunday a month back...
    Well, they were staff from a bar, and they were on a pub crawl to celebrate something and had painted themselves head to toe in blue paint, wearing smurf hats and things.
    I doubt Avatar would have gone over so well if the natives were short, dumpy, had dorky names, and wore little white hats.

Quote Originally Posted by ProperDave View Post
    I guess this is the Hollywood stereotype that if there isn't a White hero, the movie won't do as well as a non-white one. I've heard one theory in that a White hero character is easier to relate to than another race.
    What's the main audience for the movie, in terms of numbers?

As far as the outside thing goes, it's pretty clear the best "connection" narrative device is one of us becoming one of them, and we interface with them through our representative because we understand the person who infiltrates the culture but have few points of reference with the alien culture.

However, why wasn't a black guy/girl chosen? (For example.) It's interesting.

Will Smith is pretty big for a popular black actor that makes blockbusters, but I don't know if he can draw a crowd alone like some can. I don't remember I*Robot, I am Legend, or other films doing that well where he was the main star despite how likable he is.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    I remember feel resentful of the fact that living like that was indeed no longer possible in this world. Took me a day to shake that feeling.
    Living like what?
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Will Smith is pretty big for a popular black actor that makes blockbusters, but I don't know if he can draw a crowd alone like some can. I don't remember I*Robot, I am Legend, or other films doing that well where he was the main star despite how likable he is.
    Hahaha, when Hitch came out, that was the biggest movie in Germany (where I was living) at the time.

Also, Independence Day and MIB were huge with him in the lead, although there were a lot of big name supporting actors.

I agree with him not being able to draw a crowd like that on his own, though. With the (inexplicable) exception of Hitch.