• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dark Cabaret

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I ocasionaly order various artist compilation CDs to try out types of music I'm not familiar with, and one of the recent ones I tried was called "A Dark Cabaret". The music and lyrics don't give me a strong sense of connection, but I still really liked some of the songs on it. Here are links to several songs from album that I was able to find youtube videos for.

The Dresden Dolls - Coin Opperated Boy

Jill Tracy - Evil Night Together

Pretty Balanced - Simon's Sleeping

I love Dresden Dolls!

Apparently they are very good live and sometimes ask for performers to volunteer to open for them.

I'm not familiar with that musical compilation or even the term 'Dark Cabaret' -- but I think I know what it means and it seems to be an aesthetic/lifestyle choice like 'goth' for some people. Maybe it has something to do with the rise of (indie) burlesque. It's funny because 'Cabaret' the musical is dark without having to add 'Dark' in front of it.

Do you like gothic J-pop?

You may also like, 'Girl Anachronism' by Dresden Dolls.

If you have Rhapsody you can listen to their full albums.

P.S. thanks for the links, I never thought to find their MVs on YouTube...I had no idea Amanda had curlicue tattoos for eyebrows...

You may also like this Yami ni furu ame by Shiina Ringo.

Last edited:

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I love Dresden Dolls!

Apparently they are very good live and sometimes ask for performers to volunteer to open for them.

I'm not familiar with that musical compilation or even the term 'Dark Cabaret' -- but I think I know what it means and it seems to be an aesthetic/lifestyle choice like 'goth' for some people. Maybe it has something to do with the rise of (indie) burlesque. It's funny because 'Cabaret' the musical is dark without having to add 'Dark' in front of it.

You may also like, 'Girl Anachronism' by Dresden Dolls.

If you have Rhapsody you can listen to their full albums.

P.S. thanks for the links, I never thought to find their MVs on YouTube...I had no idea Amanda had curlicue tattoos for eyebrows...

Dresden Dolls were among my favorites on the album (along with Revue Noir who seem to not have a full album relase yet). Catchy and interesting, and very artistic with their video. I did find some more from them that I liked as well.

Do you like gothic J-pop?

Sounds interesting. I did have a couple songs from the soundtrack of Vampire Princess Miyu that I really liked, but it had more of an orchestral/classical feel to it than j-pop.

'Melody of Sorrow' from the Vampire Princess Miyu TV series

Flute of Darkness from Vampire Princess Miyu

You may also like this Yami ni furu ame by Shiina Ringo.

Thanks. Gave it a listen, but it didn't have a strong effect on me either way. It may have been the audio quality of the clip, but the violins just didnt sound right to me and that detracted from the feel of it. I also did not feel much emotion in the vocals (I don't speak much Japanese (took 2 years in HS but don't remember much anymore), but using Anime as a reference, I can get a good feel of emotion in Anime dialog even when i don't understand a word of it, and I did not feel the same thing with this song). The translated lyrics were interesting, so if my Japanese was fluent enough to understand it, I'd probably enjoy it more on that basis.

Its metal and not pop, but here is an example of another language I don't speak where I can feel the emotion of the volcas without knowing what they are saying, but the audio quality of the clip also detracts here, and I don't know if I'd get the same feel if I had not heard a better quality version first.

YouTube - ELIS - Der letzte Tag

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Dresden Dolls were among my favorites on the album (along with Revue Noir who seem to not have a full album relase yet). Catchy and interesting, and very artistic with their video. I did find some more from them that I liked as well.

Sounds interesting. I did have a couple songs from the soundtrack of Vampire Princess Miyu that I really liked, but it had more of an orchestral/classical feel to it than j-pop.

' Melody of Sorrow' from the Vampire Princess Miyu TV series

Flute of Darkness from Vampire Princess Miyu

Thanks. Gave it a listen, but it didn't have a strong effect on me either way. It may have been the audio quality of the clip, but the violins just didnt sound right to me and that detracted from the feel of it. I also did not feel much emotion in the vocals (I don't speak much Japanese (took 2 years in HS but don't remember much anymore), but using Anime as a reference, I can get a good feel of emotion in Anime dialog even when i don't understand a word of it, and I did not feel the same thing with this song). The translated lyrics were interesting, so if my Japanese was fluent enough to understand it, I'd probably enjoy it more on that basis.

Its metal and not pop, but here is an example of another language I don't speak where I can feel the emotion of the volcas without knowing what they are saying, but the audio quality of the clip also detracts here, and I don't know if I'd get the same feel if I had not heard a better quality version first.

YouTube - ELIS - Der letzte Tag

Do you know that Scandinavian (or at least very Aryan looking) female group? They sing arias over metal...

There's also a group called the Medieval Baebes. Wait, I thinks that's another (similar) group. Here's the Medieval Baebes (for real).

If you like emotional music and anime, I bet you'd like Yoko Kanno or Utada Hikaru.

Let me know what you think!

I myself alas, am not a fan of metal in the specific. Though I do not mind metal in the general.

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you know that Scandinavian (or at least very Aryan looking) female group? They sing arias over metal...

If you mean an all female group, I'm not sure on that, but I think I heard of one but can't recall, but the group that made operatic/symphonic metal famous is Nightwish from Finland. They parted ways with their original vocalist,and the new one (not in that clip) is not an opera singer. Thier original vocalist Tarja Turunen just released her first solo metal album (she also has a non-metal christmas album).

Epica (from the Netherlands) is another fairly well known group with a vocalist that sings in an operatic style (not sure if she is a trained opera singer like Tarja or not tho).

There's also a group called the Medieval Baebes. Wait, I thinks that's another (similar) group. Here's the Medieval Baebes (for real).

I can't seem to find it, but I think I've got a compilation CD with one of their songs on it, but I know I've heard of them before and liked their music.

If you like emotional music and anime, I bet you'd like Yoko Kanno or Utada Hikaru.

Let me know what you think!

Found and listened to Voices by Yoko Kanno. Thats the type of stuff I like.

Tried a couple songs from Utada Hikaru, good voice, but I liked the other artist better.

I myself alas, am not a fan of metal in the specific. Though I do not mind metal in the general.

Probably over half my music collection is metal of some variety, buts its more due to how much easier it is to find good metal vs finding good stuff in more obscure genres. Its starting to get a bit offtopic, so I'll make a new post on non-metal music with some links to recommended bands.