User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 58

  1. #1
    Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,939

    Default How come everyone hates Bono so much?

    It seems to have become a major left-wing/middle-class fad to hate Bono. I can't quite figure out why.

    I may be biased to not hate him, as I have been a huge U2 fan for more than half my life (though in the biggest way from age 15-20 or so). Mind you, he is more than a little annoying. He can come across as self-centered, self-righteous, preachy, OTT, pretentious...etc.

    But people seem to have chosen to hate him because he speaks up and campaigns for the causes he cares about. I should qualify again, I don't necessarily agree with all his views or approaches. But the thing that makes me laugh/go is that a lot of people seem to find celebrities who are drug-addled, alcoholic, Satan worshipers, stupid, murderers, etc, highly lovable and even admirable. Based on all the Bono-hating, the biggest sin of all is using your fame and popularity to promote what by most people's standards are good causes.

    I may be taking it too far, but I find this an interesting example of the world's skewed morality.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx


    I DOORSLAMMING

  2. #2
    Phantonym
    Guest

    Default

    I don't really pay that much attention to celebrities. I like U2 but that's about it. No point in hating anybody.

  3. #3
    Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    I don't really pay that much attention to celebrities. I like U2 but that's about it. No point in hating anybody.
    A very good and diplomatic answer. Seriously, I have come across a surprising number of people who say things like "I don't like U2 because I hate Bono." If you hate his singing, sure...but the fact that he's a campaigner?!
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx


    I DOORSLAMMING

  4. #4
    Plumage and Moult proteanmix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Posts
    5,514

    Default

    Haters gonna hate.

    I've somehow managed to see him and his group U2 twice. He's fine with me.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

  5. #5
    veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    6,727

    Default

    I've never heard a single person ever say they hate Bono.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

    "I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

    The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Posts
    1,636

    Default

    I don't hate Bono but am more than a little ticked because everything U2 has released since Achtung sucks!

    Used to be able to count on them for a complete texture and a couple of amazing songs that never made airplay.

    Now they just wobble around onstage behind rose colored and oversized shades. Cranking out lame tunes not even a retired boomer should be subjected to.

    It's not even good elevator music.

    U2 Completely and Utterly SUCKS!

  7. #7
    Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    I've never heard a single person ever say they hate Bono.
    Serious? Maybe it's a UK thing! I'm sure I even saw a newspaper article more or less on this subject!!

    Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    I don't hate Bono but am more than a little ticked because everything U2 has released since Achtung sucks!

    Used to be able to count on them for a complete texture and a couple of amazing songs that never made airplay.

    Now they just wobble around onstage behind rose colored and oversized shades. Cranking out lame tunes not even a retired boomer should be subjected to.

    It's not even good elevator music.

    U2 Completely and Utterly SUCKS!
    I have to partly-agree/partly-disagree with you on this. Achtung was a great album, and then Zooropa and Pop had a few moments, but overall were pretty poor. But I love their 2000's stuff - maybe a bit retro, but some great great songs. (How can you not love Magnificent, Moment of Surrender, Vertigo, City of Blinding Lights, Walk On...the list goes on...)
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx


    I DOORSLAMMING

  8. #8
    Senior Member JivinJeffJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,698

    Default

    Maybe people consider it greedy that he wants to be famous, hip (?), rich, talented, attractive to women and morally laudable? He has everything else already, now he wants to park it all on a nice piece of moral high-ground.

    Actually I think it's just that people enjoy public vice since it gives them a vicarious thrill whilst also making them feel virtuous by comparison, whereas public crusading for causes makes people feel unvirtuous by comparison. Because of Bono's fame he's in the public eye a lot more, so he attracts more resentment. People would probably hate WorldVision or the Red Cross if they were made up of just one non-sweating, carefully-coiffed dude in a leather jacket wearing funny glasses.

    Hmm, so many reasons really. I could go on and on. I respect him though, he'll be happy to note.

  9. #9
    Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Actually I think it's just that people enjoy public vice since it gives them a vicarious thrill whilst also making them feel virtuous by comparison, whereas public crusading for causes makes people feel unvirtuous by comparison. Because of Bono's fame he's in the public eye a lot more, so he attracts more resentment. People would probably hate WorldVision or the Red Cross if they were made up of just one non-sweating, carefully-coiffed dude in a leather jacket wearing funny glasses.
    I think you're pretty much spot-on about that. It just annoys me when people try to disguise the fact that they're just jealous/resentful by taking the high moral ground themselves.

    Btw, I hasten to add that Bono isn't paying me to drum up good wishes for him, or anything like that I do genuinely find him a bit annoying, as well as having a lot of liking and admiration for him!
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx


    I DOORSLAMMING

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    I've never heard a single person ever say they hate Bono.
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    Serious? Maybe it's a UK thing! I'm sure I even saw a newspaper article more or less on this subject!!
    The first person I heard say that they hate Bono was Henry Rollins. He did a whole piece on Bono. I think he felt that Bono and U2 rode trends.

Similar Threads

  1. [SP] How come you guys are so freaking sexy?
    By Numbly Aware in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 08-30-2016, 07:38 PM
  2. [INFP] INFPs - How do you handle knowing so much?
    By Chill in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 10-22-2010, 10:39 AM
  3. Why do religions hate gays so darn much?
    By Kasper in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 183
    Last Post: 09-11-2010, 03:27 AM
  4. [ISTJ] ISTJs, how do you observe and remember so much?
    By ygolo in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 12-24-2009, 02:33 PM
  5. How Do You Post So Much?
    By Crabapple in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-17-2007, 03:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO