User Tag List

First 456

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

I think if anybody were to dislike him, it's because we don't expect our rock stars to be saints. We expect them to rock, and all of that other shit they do to make themselves and others feel better is the wrong kind of noise. We want our rock stars to live miserable, amoral lives of complete and utter hedonism and decay. As a rule, an artist always produces better stuff when they are a completely miserable human being.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Because Bono is a cunt.

facettes de la petite mor Words of Ivory's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Visited this thread again since it got resurrected. I'm even more sure of my point from earlier. If you want to do some good and you're in the public eye, you better be morally cleaner than Jesus or people are going to rip you to shreds.
    It has nothing to do with him "doing good" and everything to do with his ego about it. His methods of "charity" have been criticised by the very people he's claiming to help, to the point where they have only made the problems in those countries *worse*.

He has a God complex.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Life calls out the meaning of pure jubilance,
    if you'll only take the time to hear it."
    ~ Words of Ivory ~

Quote Originally Posted by taylord View Post
    I think if anybody were to dislike him, it's because we don't expect our rock stars to be saints. We expect them to rock, and all of that other shit they do to make themselves and others feel better is the wrong kind of noise. We want our rock stars to live miserable, amoral lives of complete and utter hedonism and decay.As a rule, an artist always produces better stuff when they are a completely miserable human being.
    I think thats a huge misconception. There is no reason for it to be true, no basis, except in the "tortured artist" stereotype that began in the 19th century and continues to this day...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

True or not, people seem to like the stereotype and dislike it when its broken by people like Bono. I personally though like artists whose stuff comes from their deep inner misery. It's hard to like something with sunshine blowing out its ass.
    "In Heaven, everything is fine." - The Lady in the Radiator

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Bono doesn't have sunshine blowing out his ass. Have you ever actually listened to a lot of U2 tracks? Hope and "sunshine blowing out its ass" are not the same thing.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

If you think can do better than Bono, get up off your ass and go for it.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    It seems to have become a major left-wing/middle-class fad to hate Bono. I can't quite figure out why.

I may be biased to not hate him, as I have been a huge U2 fan for more than half my life (though in the biggest way from age 15-20 or so). Mind you, he is more than a little annoying. He can come across as self-centered, self-righteous, preachy, OTT, pretentious...etc.

But people seem to have chosen to hate him because he speaks up and campaigns for the causes he cares about. I should qualify again, I don't necessarily agree with all his views or approaches. But the thing that makes me laugh/go is that a lot of people seem to find celebrities who are drug-addled, alcoholic, Satan worshipers, stupid, murderers, etc, highly lovable and even admirable. Based on all the Bono-hating, the biggest sin of all is using your fame and popularity to promote what by most people's standards are good causes.

I may be taking it too far, but I find this an interesting example of the world's skewed morality.
    I can't figure this out either!!

I don't pay attention enough to celebs to really care, but why so much hate? I don't get it??!