User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Well, there was that south park episode...

I love Bono. I've been a big fan of U2 since the 80's and I only like him more and more as time goes by. I guess I can understand where a person might be taken back by another if he is very outspoken about a topic that they are against... so I guess being outspoken itself could attract some negative from some people...

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by DaPerformer View Post
    I love Bono. I've been a big fan of U2 since the 80's and I only like him more and more as time goes by. I guess I can understand where a person might be taken back by another if he is very outspoken about a topic that they are against... so I guess being outspoken itself could attract some negative from some people...
    I'm really starting to wonder now if the Bono-hating thing is more of a cynical European reaction - given that I think most of you are Americans (I'm a Canadian living in the UK, for the record).

If it was mostly English people in this thread, at least half of you would have said how much you loathe him - from my experience.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INTP

To me, it seems like he has a huge ego. That doesn't make me hate him, but I would be wary of inviting him over for tea.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

they hate him because so meny people say that they hate him
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

I know people who like him. Personally, i merely find him annoying. He strikes me as pretentious.

Quote Originally Posted by South Park
    Quote Originally Posted by Broloff
    My little crap has accomplished many things. But he could never shed the fact that he was really... a number two. So he spent his life trying to be number one, in everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan
    That's why he's able to do so much, try to help so many people, but still seem like such a piece of shit.
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    Mind you, he is more than a little annoying. He can come across as self-centered, self-righteous, preachy, OTT, pretentious...etc.
    I'm a believer in this camp. He takes on issues which are admirable but speaks with an air of feigned authority that makes me push mute. It's not just a British thing either. SST Records used to print Bono Sucks t-shirts back in the 80's.

Don't get me wrong, though. Celebrities with problems aren't any better. It's all a matter of who's the loudest.

I definitely think a lot of people hate Bono, and I am puzzled by it, because many celebrities are criticized for NOT doing what he does. You kind of can't win as a celebrity.

Bono doesn't just give lip service to fuzzy concepts like "awareness"...he educates himself on the causes he champions, he travels to the places he wants to help, and he engages world leaders, scientists and economists in discussions of how to help. He's not a dilettante. If there is a reason why people hate him, I think it's because he makes no bones about openly using his celebrity to get people to pay attention to causes. I think that he sees his celebrity as a chit to be cashed in, and if you don't understand that this is what he's doing, it can come off as pompous or self-absorbed.

That's not to say he's egoless. Any rock star worth his salt has a pretty gigantic ego, even if they like to hide it (*cough* Thom Yorke). It's in the job description. And I'd love it if he didn't make speeches during concerts. I'd prefer he kept it separate. That said, I don't see why he should be pilloried for an ego when you have a world full of people like Pete Doherty, 50 Cent and Roman Polanski who are romanticized and cast as tragic heroes for their failings or misdeeds. I guess the lesson is that earnestness is not cool.

In the end it's the same old story. People who aspire are routinely torn to shreds by the wolves if they're not flawless. Anyone who tries to do great things needs to always be aware of the rabble and their cry of "You think you're better than me?"
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    SEXY

Bono is a self-obsessed attention whore. That being said, he's no worse then any other pop-star who ever lived.
    (removed)

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
    Bono is a self-obsessed attention whore. That being said, he's no worse then any other pop-star who ever lived.
    Sure, and you could argue that unlike many others, he's done something useful with it...
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING