• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Jazz/Classical Appreciation

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
When I have some more time, I will post in here!

I have a ton of my favorite Jazz and Classical pieces to post, because Jazz and Classical is some of the most fresh stuff. Love it!!

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I love every song on that album I think that's his best work

Agreed.

His other stuff doesn't move me quite as much.

You know it's amazing the amount of old footage that's on youtube. How did people find this stuff? It's simply incredible. I know this is a bit off topic, but just the other day I stumbled across old footage of the Bonzo Dog Band on youtube and nearly had a heart attack I was so excited.

Art Tatum

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
Agreed.

His other stuff doesn't move me quite as much.

You know it's amazing the amount of old footage that's on youtube. How did people find this stuff? It's simply incredible. I know this is a bit off topic, but just the other day I stumbled across old footage of the Bonzo Dog Band on youtube and nearly had a heart attack I was so excited.

Art Tatum

Never heard of bonzo dog band fill me in..... and art tatum is almost two good people thought that he was in a duo when they first heard him they couldn't believe he was playin like that with two hands I am lucky to have most of his stuff on vinyl aswell:D

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8

i am a big Coltrane fan. that video is awesome, such a dynamite lineup on it. i think Coltrane and Eric Dolphy were such a dynamic match, their Village Vanguard recordings are really spectacular.
that is definitely my favorite period of Coltrane's music, the time before and during his Classic Quartet. it is just such a tight and perfectly cast group of guys playing together, they really fed off each other.

by the way, there is another jazz thread that people posted a ton of great stuff in:
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/arts-entertainment/18320-jazz.html

i am a huge Mingus fan! that is a great album, one of my favorites. Mingus Ah Um is great too, and Blues & Roots.... so many!
i can see how Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus is a sort of punched up version of his bebop sound.

i love his album The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady too, that is one of my all-time favorite albums, possibly favorite album ever? maybe.
it doesn't have the bebop sound that 'Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus' has (and god knows i am all about the bebop), but to me it is such a powerful album.

great! how do you feel about McCoy Tyner?

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Never heard of bonzo dog band

They did the whole art school dropout DIY rock thing before anyone else did in the 60s. I think Paul McCarthy produced some of their music. Pretty avant-garde weirdness (which I like :D)

art tatum is almost two good people thought that he was in a duo when they first heard him they couldn't believe he was playin like that with two hands I am lucky to have most of his stuff on vinyl as well

:shock:

Are you Rob Gordon?

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
They did the whole art school dropout DIY rock thing before anyone else did in the 60s. I think Paul McCarthy produced some of their music. Pretty avant-garde weirdness (which I like :D)

:shock:

Are you Rob Gordon?

lol I hope to have as much as vinyl as rob gordon one day, my room is already scattered with vinyl

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I love me some blues harp.

[YOUTUBE="fcSuJi1b0OU"]Spokey Dokey[/YOUTUBE]

Nothing resonates with me like a harp when I'm feeling blue.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
This bit is a little more jazzy if you're into this sort of thing :D

[YOUTUBE="_bfVQ1S5Vx0"]Cat blues[/YOUTUBE]

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
YouTube - gene krupa buddy rich drum battle

I like rich better but personally i think krupa won this.

My uncle is a drum enthusiast (whose been meaning to teach me for years now unsuccessfully :blush:), so I have a special place in my heart for drums.

I don't know either Gene Krupa or Buddy Rich, but I'll bet my uncle does.
*picks up phone to call him up*

Thelonious Monk [his quartet here but he's still jammin' :D]

& more Miles Davis :wubbie:

more recent than Art Tatum. McCoy Tyner played with Coltrane in the early-mid sixties. but he had a long career after that. he still records and tours.

Ahh, gotcha you.

I'll keep him in mind.

i think so too. but they are so different as players, Rich is such a technical drummer. i tend to like Krupa's style.

The P/J dichotomy is always so apparent with musicians, isn't it?

:rolleyes:

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
My uncle is a drum enthusiast (whose been meaning to teach me for years now unsuccessfully :blush:), so I have a special place in my heart for drums.

I don't know either Gene Krupa or Buddy Rich, but I'll bet my uncle does.
*picks up phone to call him up*

Thelonious Monk [his quartet here but he's still jammin' :D]

& more Miles Davis :wubbie:

Ahh, gotcha you.

I'll keep him in mind.

The P/J dichotomy is always so apparent with musicians, isn't it?
:rolleyes:

I think when Ps finally find something to focus on they can be just as intense as Js if not more.....also the crazy thing about buddy rich is that he apparently never practiced he only played on recordings and performances and that was his practice.

off topic but blue in green is perfect for a romantic evening lol