• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Jazz/Classical Appreciation

Prime

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm one of those jazz fans that local jazz fans accuse of as just being into noise (ie. free jazz). I like the straight stuff, too, but "free" is like a stigma around my circles.

I mean, once I mention Sun Ra, the eyes start rolling, even though the relatively simplistic swing of Jazz In Silhouette is my absolute favorite.

But it's tunes like this which make me wonder why free jazz gets such a bad rap among my peers:
Alice Coltrane - Blue Nile

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
I'm one of those jazz fans that local jazz fans accuse of as just being into noise (ie. free jazz). I like the straight stuff, too, but "free" is like a stigma around my circles.

I mean, once I mention Sun Ra, the eyes start rolling, even though the relatively simplistic swing of Jazz In Silhouette is my absolute favorite.

But it's tunes like this which make me wonder why free jazz gets such a bad rap among my peers:
Alice Coltrane - Blue Nile

i love free jazz, Sun Ra and Ornette Coleman, it's great stuff.
Eric Dolphy is one of my all time favorite jazz musicians, he straddles a very blurred line between free jazz and more traditional jazz that i love. and i think he brings a lot of emotion to his playing, to his more avant garde playing too.

i used to have 'free jazz parties' when i lived in Philly, where we would spend hours listening to the most outrageous free jazz and out-there avant garde stuff we could get our hands on. and then as the night went on, we would progress to crazy jamming all night and morning. it was pretty insane because we had over a dozen people on instruments a lot of times, and a very diverse group from excellent musicians to novices. sometimes we would have even 2 dozen people, and it would get so big that you ended up breaking into small groups of players within the larger whole group. it was a lot of fun.

the Alice Coltrane song you posted is great, and i think a lot of people would call it free jazz. i usually use the term free jazz in a pretty extreme sense though, probably too extreme, haha. so i tend to associate it with a whole lot less structure. for me, when i think of free jazz i tend to think of something more like John Coltrane's Ascension:

[YOUTUBE="tgrQhBTDfhk"]Ascension - Coltrane[/YOUTUBE]

here is Ornette Coleman improvising on a song i really love:
[YOUTUBE="na_3r_bf5gA"]Dancing In Your Head - Ornette Coleman[/YOUTUBE]

Prime

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
i usually use the term free jazz in a pretty extreme sense though, probably too extreme, haha. so i tend to associate it with a whole lot less structure. for me, when i think of free jazz i tend to think of something more like John Coltrane's Ascension

Yeah, son, I can relate to that!! Pharoah's solos on Ascension are probably the most inspiring noisy sax parts for me (though Ayler and Brotzmann are pretty inspiring as well).

Sam Rivers lives and performs locally. I lent him my jacket once. That man just exudes intellectual musical power. I feel bad that I haven't listened to any of his records past Dimensions + Extensions, though.

Ever recorded any of those Philly jam sessions? I'd love to hear that stuff.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Yeah, son, I can relate to that!! Pharoah's solos on Ascension are probably the most inspiring noisy sax parts for me (though Ayler and Brotzmann are pretty inspiring as well).

definitely!
i was listening to Pharoah's album Karma just the other day. that is an intense album. i especially like his albums around that period of time.

Sam Rivers lives and performs locally. I lent him my jacket once. That man just exudes intellectual musical power. I feel bad that I haven't listened to any of his records past Dimensions + Extensions, though.

that is awesome!
i like your description, intellectual power.
Dimensions + Extensions is a fantastic album though. Crystals is great too, and Contours is awesome.

[YOUTUBE="t6h6L8cinGE"]Contours, Sam Rivers[/YOUTUBE]

Ever recorded any of those Philly jam sessions? I'd love to hear that stuff.

i didn't, i think some people did, but i am not really in touch with most of those people any more. i didn't really know a lot of them very well. it was pretty casual hanging out, so we were just sort of jamming.

LotsOfHeart

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
George Benson is great. His album Breezin' is one of my favorites, I definitely recommend it, even though it has a lot of R&B elements in it so it might not be the best jazz example of his work, but I never get tired of it.

Shostokovich Piano Concerto #1, played by Martha Agerich, is good, it's on youtube.

More good classical pieces...

Bela Bartok: Concerto for Orchestra

Debussy: Fetes, La Mer

Schumann: Symphony No. 3

Liszt: Piano Concerto

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
George Benson is great. His album Breezin' is one of my favorites, I definitely recommend it, even though it has a lot of R&B elements in it so it might not be the best jazz example of his work, but I never get tired of it.

Shostokovich Piano Concerto #1, played by Martha Agerich, is good, it's on youtube.

More good classical pieces...

Bela Bartok: Concerto for Orchestra

Debussy: Fetes, La Mer
Schumann: Symphony No. 3

Liszt: Piano Concerto

Debussy;) check out edward williams aswell YouTube - Open House (extract) (Edward Williams) Dennis Brain (horn)

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I love what's been posted so far!

I made a free jazz record about 10 years ago with a Dutch pianist/composer named Henk Alkema. It's a very challenging form of music, but so rewarding. HK and I are both Scorpios, both musicians (obviously), both left-handed, and he is from Friesland, where I am the grandchild of a Friesian, so we had a lot in common, and thought in similar ways. I have a copy somewhere...

here's some esoterica that I love:
YouTube - Atmospheres-Gyorgy Ligeti

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Mr. Scruff

Yes!

I love Mr. Scruff!

"So Long" is such a hot track. The whole Keep It Unreal album is filled with prime music.

To authenicate my dorkhood, I become a fan of his page on facebook when I first opened an account :D. Unfortunately I think I unfanned him in recent times on a purging spree. He's still good though.

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes!

I love Mr. Scruff!

"So Long" is such a hot track. The whole Keep It Real album is filled with prime music.

To authenicate my dorkhood, I become a fan of his page on facebook when I first opened an account :D. Unfortunately I think I unfanned him in recent times on a purging spree. He's still good though.

what do you think is better keep it real or the trouser jazz album

YouTube - Quantic - Transatlantic
if you like mr scruff you might like this artist aswell

Gish

Which side are you on?
MBTI Type
PTSD
[YOUTUBE="FjuX-AExWI8"]Hiromi Uehara Trio - Love & Laughter[/YOUTUBE]

Yeah...

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
what do you think is better keep it real or the trouser jazz album

I'm going to be painfully generic and go with Keep it Unreal.

There were some good ones in Trouser Jazz, like "Here We Go" and "Vibrate," but I think Keep It Unreal is just a better album overall. It doesn't help, though, that I'm a sucker for solid bass lines and back beat drums.

:blush:

YouTube - Quantic - Transatlantic
if you like mr scruff you might like this artist aswell

:yes:

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm going to be painfully generic and go with Keep it Unreal.

There were some good ones in Trouser Jazz, like "Here We Go" and "Vibrate," but I think Keep It Unreal is just a better album overall. It doesn't help, though, that I'm a sucker for solid bass lines and back beat drums.

:blush:

:yes:

I agree with you but trouser jazz has two of my favourite mr scruff tracks in shelf wobbler and giffin.

YouTube - Milt Jackson quartet in Japan 1990
seriously an xylophone player in any band makes the music better