User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

YouTube - Duke Ellington - It don't mean a thing (1943)
    no jazz thread is complete without this

YouTube - Nathan Davis - Stick Buddy (1976)
    this guy never really became big but very relaxin to listen to

YouTube - Hank Mobley - Up a Step
    mobley

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by human101 View Post

Shostakovich
    Noo! You must read minds. He was going to be my next suggestion.

Shostakovich's Symphony No. 5 - played in Symphony last season [2:30-3:12 ]

One of my best friends is a pianist and he this song.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    IEI

I'm one of those jazz fans that local jazz fans accuse of as just being into noise (ie. free jazz). I like the straight stuff, too, but "free" is like a stigma around my circles.

I mean, once I mention Sun Ra, the eyes start rolling, even though the relatively simplistic swing of Jazz In Silhouette is my absolute favorite.

But it's tunes like this which make me wonder why free jazz gets such a bad rap among my peers:
    Alice Coltrane - Blue Nile

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    I'm one of those jazz fans that local jazz fans accuse of as just being into noise (ie. free jazz). I like the straight stuff, too, but "free" is like a stigma around my circles.

I mean, once I mention Sun Ra, the eyes start rolling, even though the relatively simplistic swing of Jazz In Silhouette is my absolute favorite.

But it's tunes like this which make me wonder why free jazz gets such a bad rap among my peers:
    Alice Coltrane - Blue Nile
    i love free jazz, Sun Ra and Ornette Coleman, it's great stuff.
    Eric Dolphy is one of my all time favorite jazz musicians, he straddles a very blurred line between free jazz and more traditional jazz that i love. and i think he brings a lot of emotion to his playing, to his more avant garde playing too.

i used to have 'free jazz parties' when i lived in Philly, where we would spend hours listening to the most outrageous free jazz and out-there avant garde stuff we could get our hands on. and then as the night went on, we would progress to crazy jamming all night and morning. it was pretty insane because we had over a dozen people on instruments a lot of times, and a very diverse group from excellent musicians to novices. sometimes we would have even 2 dozen people, and it would get so big that you ended up breaking into small groups of players within the larger whole group. it was a lot of fun.

the Alice Coltrane song you posted is great, and i think a lot of people would call it free jazz. i usually use the term free jazz in a pretty extreme sense though, probably too extreme, haha. so i tend to associate it with a whole lot less structure. for me, when i think of free jazz i tend to think of something more like John Coltrane's Ascension:

[YOUTUBE="tgrQhBTDfhk"]Ascension - Coltrane[/YOUTUBE]

here is Ornette Coleman improvising on a song i really love:
    [YOUTUBE="na_3r_bf5gA"]Dancing In Your Head - Ornette Coleman[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
    i usually use the term free jazz in a pretty extreme sense though, probably too extreme, haha. so i tend to associate it with a whole lot less structure. for me, when i think of free jazz i tend to think of something more like John Coltrane's Ascension
    Yeah, son, I can relate to that!! Pharoah's solos on Ascension are probably the most inspiring noisy sax parts for me (though Ayler and Brotzmann are pretty inspiring as well).

Sam Rivers lives and performs locally. I lent him my jacket once. That man just exudes intellectual musical power. I feel bad that I haven't listened to any of his records past Dimensions + Extensions, though.

Ever recorded any of those Philly jam sessions? I'd love to hear that stuff.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
    free jazz [...] John Coltrane's Ascension

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Yeah, son, I can relate to that!! Pharoah's solos on Ascension are probably the most inspiring noisy sax parts for me (though Ayler and Brotzmann are pretty inspiring as well).
    definitely!
    i was listening to Pharoah's album Karma just the other day. that is an intense album. i especially like his albums around that period of time.

Sam Rivers lives and performs locally. I lent him my jacket once. That man just exudes intellectual musical power. I feel bad that I haven't listened to any of his records past Dimensions + Extensions, though.
    that is awesome!
    i like your description, intellectual power.
    Dimensions + Extensions is a fantastic album though. Crystals is great too, and Contours is awesome.

[YOUTUBE="t6h6L8cinGE"]Contours, Sam Rivers[/YOUTUBE]

Ever recorded any of those Philly jam sessions? I'd love to hear that stuff.
    i didn't, i think some people did, but i am not really in touch with most of those people any more. i didn't really know a lot of them very well. it was pretty casual hanging out, so we were just sort of jamming.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

George Benson is great. His album Breezin' is one of my favorites, I definitely recommend it, even though it has a lot of R&B elements in it so it might not be the best jazz example of his work, but I never get tired of it.

Shostokovich Piano Concerto #1, played by Martha Agerich, is good, it's on youtube.

More good classical pieces...

Bela Bartok: Concerto for Orchestra

Debussy: Fetes, La Mer

Schumann: Symphony No. 3

Liszt: Piano Concerto
    A hero is someone who does the right thing without expectation of reward, just because it's the right thing to do.

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by LotsOfHeart View Post
    George Benson is great. His album Breezin' is one of my favorites, I definitely recommend it, even though it has a lot of R&B elements in it so it might not be the best jazz example of his work, but I never get tired of it.

Shostokovich Piano Concerto #1, played by Martha Agerich, is good, it's on youtube.

More good classical pieces...

Bela Bartok: Concerto for Orchestra

Debussy: Fetes, La Mer
    Schumann: Symphony No. 3

Liszt: Piano Concerto
    Debussy check out edward williams aswell YouTube - Open House (extract) (Edward Williams) Dennis Brain (horn)