User Tag List

First 123412 Last

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by neptunesnet View Post
    I didn't read your link (I probably will later; it looks interesting ), but for me it all seemed to go downhill when gangsta rap became popular.

I've seen critics (or "critics" ) blame rap groups like N.W.A. and people like Ice-T as perpetrators of a violent culture, and they're right to a degree. But the way I see it is those rappers were products of a violent and impoverished environment. Many urban areas were extremely hostile and unhealthy, especially after the crack epidemic in the late 80s, so I don't necessarily think it's fair to attribute all the blame to just the rappers.

Gangsta rap was never meant for mainstream society. It was a subgenre directed at a very specific target audience (typically black kids growing up in rough areas who could relate on a very tangible level to the struggles in many of those lyrics). Record labels caught onto the popularity of gangsta rap from the high sales in urban areas and basically exploited it for profit.

I don't watch MTV anymore, let alone television (BET is another cesspool :rolli. I can't stomach it. The "rap" they show on that channel now is mind-numbing, to say the least, not to mention their shows . Those networks glorify rappers while defaming them by helping them disrespect themselves. I really don't know where rap is going to go from here, but, unfortunately, it has already made its mark and is becoming the cultural image of what black people are and value today.

That is sad.

*tear*
    Preeeeeeeeach!
    "Your voice is like chocolate...dreamy."
    --WildHorses

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

the only rap i have respect for is atmosphere.
    i cant stand 90% of everything else haha.
    but atmosphere is effin legit. its probably biased and bigot-ish to say i only like atmosphere [in the genre of rap] but whatevs.
    my etsy Morphochroma

I know you think I'm crazy,
    but most people they can't tell.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    To me, it all began to go down when it became all about bragging on one's self, and from there, you saw it go downnhill into violence, and then just glorigying the gangsta culture instead of telling us to avoid it. then, many of the same rappers complained about all the violence that had taken over the industry!

Here's my take on the history of rap:
    Rap: Where Did We Go Wrong
    I've seen critics (or "critics" ) blame rap groups like N.W.A. and people like Ice-T as perpetrators of a violent culture, and they're right to a degree. But the way I see it is those rappers were products of a violent and impoverished environment. Many urban areas were extremely hostile and unhealthy, especially after the crack epidemic in the late 80s, so I don't necessarily think it's fair to attribute all the blame to just the rappers.

Gangsta rap was never meant for mainstream society. It was a subgenre directed at a very specific target audience (typically black kids growing up in rough areas who could relate on a very tangible level to the struggles in many of those lyrics). Record labels caught onto the popularity of gangsta rap from the high sales in urban areas and basically exploited it for profit.
    i grew up with gangsta rap. now i dislike it, my integrity pushes me away from it, so i make a conscious effort to distance myself from it.
    i work with kids in an anti-gang program who listen to a lot of gangsta rap. i try to work them away from it to more positive music. i've found that positive music does promote positive thinking. i believe in music to develop a positive mentality, to open up and connect with parts of you that are there but unnoticed, that are buried deep.

i think gangsta rap is more the product of an environment than a cause. i don't think it really puts ideas in kids' heads, but it does reinforce tendencies that are already there in you. the kids that can actually relate to gangsta rap do find a connection in it, to the experiences they can relate to, a pull that draws them in. but instead of starting with that connection and building positive constructive ideas on it, it just tells you to throw up bigger walls, more anger and distance.
    music with a negative message has a caustic effect on people, maybe gradually and subtly, but i do think it can be corruptive.

here is something else;
    [YOUTUBE="ZKJx5OTSPG0"]Bendicion Mami - Fat Joe[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    enfp

I don't watch MTV anymore, let alone television (BET is another cesspool :rolli. I can't stomach it. The "rap" they show on that channel now is mind-numbing, to say the least, not to mention their shows . Those networks glorify rappers while defaming them by helping them disrespect themselves. I really don't know where rap is going to go from here, but, unfortunately, it has already made its mark and is becoming the cultural image of what black people are and value today.

That is sad.

*tear*
    g-funk > penis rap lol

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by nomadic View Post
    g-funk > penis rap lol

Am I supposed to know what that means?

MBTI
    enfp

Am I supposed to know what that means?
    haha u know, g-funk! like warren g, dove shack, that chill laid back style of the mid 90s. not necessarily the same as gangsta rap. im saying is better than the 50 cent east coast inspired Penis rap, where u just rap about your penis. LOL

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1Z0yy5-aSw"]Foesum[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by nomadic View Post
    haha u know, g-funk! like warren g, dove shack, that chill laid back style of the mid 90s. not necessarily the same as gangsta rap. im saying is better than the 50 cent east coast inspired Penis rap, where u just rap about your penis. LOL
    Ooooooohhhh.

Got it.

I would agree.

May I ask though (for my dad's sake) is Color Me Bad considered g-funk?

*laughs out loud*

MBTI
    enfp

haha

no

LOL

when u said color me badd, i can't stop thinking of milli vanilli for some reason haha

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

He was a fan of them as well.

:yim_rolling_on_the_

You must forgive him.

He was a Samoan kid from SoCal. He was just dying to be cool in the early 90s.

This has got to be g-funk.

Am I white hot or what?

MBTI
    enfp

He was a fan of them as well.

:yim_rolling_on_the_

You must forgive him.

He was a Samoan kid from SoCal. He was just dying to be cool in the 90s.

This has got to be g-funk.

Am I white hot or what?
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!

no that's not g-funk. this is g-funk

YouTube - The Dove Shack - Summertime in the LBC [MUSIC VIDEO]

YouTube - Warren G - This D.J.

YouTube - Nate Dogg & Snoop Dogg - Never Leave Me Alone (Full)

btw, ur dad cracks me up! hahahaha

he's gonna love this blast from the past then...

YouTube - Gerardo - Rico Suave

hahahaha

this one for sure

YouTube - Hi-Five-I Like The Way (Kissing Game)

lolzzzz

YouTube - Come and Talk to Me

ohhh crap... i gotta stop now hahahaha