User Tag List

First 81617181920 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

[youtube="LiVsls_BJO8"]Resin Dogs - Caught Up[/youtube]

[youtube="fCLxgs6-pxo"]Sound Unlimited - Kickin' to the Undersound[/youtube]

[youtube="0teP99JFwjs"]Puretone - Addicted to Bass[/youtube]

[youtube="RF8lcGoS9Yc"]Butterfingers - Bomb the Bass[/youtube]

[youtube="waxpn9QjC9Y"]Combat Wombat - Alternative Energy[/youtube]

Yay more Aussie rap.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by neptunesnet View Post
    I don't watch MTV anymore, let alone television (BET is another cesspool :rolli. I can't stomach it. The "rap" they show on that channel now is mind-numbing, to say the least, not to mention their shows . Those networks glorify rappers while defaming them by helping them disrespect themselves. I really don't know where rap is going to go from here, but, unfortunately, it has already made its mark and is becoming the cultural image of what black people are and value today.

That is sad.

*tear*
    I remember reading a magazine article about Will.i.am being at a BET awards show, and they didn't show him any respect because he is a black "pop" star that does not produce stereotypically black music, and while I' don't personally enjoy his music or most of rap music in general, this showed me what a piece of crap BET is.

It seems that the hiphop/R&B culture in general is very conformist and if you're a young black person you're expected to listen exclusivey to black rap/R&B. If you're a young black man, you're supposed to be loud, aggressive, unintellectual, and thuggish. In fact, the word nerd basically means "hyperwhite" and while nerds are generally considered uncool, nerds are often associated with high intelligence. I think alot of black youth get this false thug anti-intellectual image from the rap/R&B culture. It's a self destructive culture that encourages misogyny, crime, bling, conformism, and stupidity.

Most rappers that try to make meaningful and thoughtful music are largely ignored and hiphop has been in this bling bling cycle for 13+ years. Unlike rock music that usually has periods of excess(prog rock, hair metal, emo) followed by back to basics movements(punk, grunge), this has yet to happen to mainstream hiphop culture, just more and more excess. Rap music now in 2010 is getting uprooted by electronica/dance music or has HUGE influences from it and I think this will be the music of the future.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by Robopop View Post
    It seems that the hiphop/R&B culture in general is very conformist...
    That's what the major recording companies want you to believe.

The rap, hip hop, and r&b that's manufactured on a mainstream scale today makes up a very small portion of the music being produced from these genres. It's just that the general public sees more of the degrading, misogynistic self-hatred that is popular rap/hip hop because of the sphere of influence and loads of money networks like MTV have while good, creative, lyrical rap and hip hop artists get overlooked/no play/stuck in obscure music communities.

...and if you're a young black person you're expected to listen exclusivey to black rap/R&B. If you're a young black man, you're supposed to be loud, aggressive, unintellectual, and thuggish. In fact, the word nerd basically means "hyperwhite" and while nerds are generally considered uncool, nerds are often associated with high intelligence. I think alot of black youth get this false thug anti-intellectual image from popular rap/R&B culture, or rap/hip hop artists signed with major record companies. It's a self destructive culture that encourages misogyny, crime, bling, conformism, and stupidity.
    Tweaked. Just a bit.

Most rappers that try to make meaningful and thoughtful music are largely ignored and hiphop has been in this bling bling cycle for 13+ years. Unlike rock music that usually has periods of excess(prog rock, hair metal, emo) followed by back to basics movements(punk, grunge), this has yet to happen to mainstream hiphop culture, just more and more excess.
    I have a theory on this, although I do certainly think hip hop has gone through phases like rock has.

Rap music now in 2010 is getting uprooted by electronica/dance music or has HUGE influences from it and I think this will be the music of the future.
    Yeah I can see that happening.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Leela James > Rap or Hip-hop

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

[YOUTUBE="SVJcovvRbII"]Music by Leela James[/YOUTUBE]

Woman don't need no auto-tune...no beat. She can actually sing!

Ain't makin' no money either.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Ooooh, Human--you friggin' rock! I have been trying to remember this song for the past few days! Thank you!

Same sample in Lisa Lisa's "Let the Beat Hit 'Em"

YouTube - Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam - Let The Beat Hit Em (Rare Super Pumped-Up C&C Vocal Club Mix)

MBTI
    ENTP

I'm really into the indie rap and a lot of local music from Minneapolis. Of course there is the God which is Slug from Atmosphere that I know everyone has heard of... but other than that a current fave EYEDEA&ABILITIES YouTube - Eyedea & Abilities - Smile next we have DOOMTREE also a sick ensamble made up of the finest indie rappers to come out of minneapolis! YouTube - doomtree - Jaded - Doomtree (not a video but a song definitley worth checking out, the girl rapping in the song is Dessa a staple in Doomtree but also an AMAZING solo artist of herself! And you cannot forget the greatness that is Brother Ali
    YouTube - Brother Ali - Uncle Sam Goddamn You can quote him, "I'm the albino but you all pale in comparison".

ALL HAIL INDIE RAP!

MBTI
    ENTP

sorry for I am not cool enough to actually post the whole video on here so much as just give a crappy link XD

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZyceqOdOjI"]Sweatshop Union - Better Days[/YOUTUBE]

Gotta love Mos Def, right?

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5LpDUuwYbE"]Mos Def - Hip Hop[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by burymecloser View Post
    Gotta love Mos Def, right?
    yep

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWkOVJxn_YM"]...[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFaW2Whpw1Q"]...[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0Sf9EAs4DY"]...[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb2idtLBwlk"]...[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn2VcdTsy-U"]...[/YOUTUBE]