12 Last

Thread: Moral Movies

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Moral Movies

For a long time I've absolutely loved revenge cinema, not the sicker varieties like Old Boy, and the reason I reckon is that I like morality tales and most of the time these are what they are, I think that the Count of Monte Cristo is one of the archetypal tales and its been adapted a couple of times. Its not the only example I can think of moral movies.

So I thought I'd create a thread for anyone whose got similar tastes and wants to trade recommendations, I'd most recently recommend a movie called Red, its an adpatation of a Jack Ketchum novel, very, very good movie and book about someone who relentlessly pursues some sort of satisfaction following the callous killing of his dog by some dumbshit kids.

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

You mean films with any kind of moral message, or just ones about revenge or justice?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

I hate films with a moral message.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Among more mainstream offerings, here are three of my favorite Revenge movies...

Unforgiven
    Road to Perdition
    The Prestige

The first two suggest that once blood gets on your hands, it stains forever. Still, people are what they are.

The last is a really good example of what happens when someone is consumed with vengeance rather than dealing with a terrible hurt -- often the vengeance destroys the avenger in the process.

I liked "Kill Bill" too, but more for the visual/audial workmanship than the revenge theme, which was pretty basic. Another one? "In the Bedroom" was interesting.

Andy, I don't like "preachy" movies / "morality plays" either; but if the theme and message is inherent within the characters themselves (rather than the characters being puppets to the "moral of the story"), then it resonates with me.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP

Educating Rita
    What dreams may come
    Closer

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I generally do not enjoy revenge movies.

When I was little, I loved Charles Bronson's Death Wish movies though.

As far as moral movies go. It all depends on how the movie portrays the morals. It's often done over the top, or in a prectictable fashion. But occasionally a real gem of a moral movie comes by that I really enjoy.

The man from earth is a movie about a lot of morals. It's a verrrry low budget movie. Quite minimalistic. It's like you've invited the cast in your own living room and watch them argue on your own sofa's. That's how low budget it is. But it rocks.

PS: It's not an action movie or any of the sort. It's a dialogue movie. You either enjoy that or you don't. :P

Also, the lead role is just so INTP in my opinion. But very mature, for obvious reasons.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    Closer
    That's an interesting movie, in terms of revenge. Very ugly in spots.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    That's an interesting movie, in terms of revenge. Very ugly in spots.
    You know I was thinking more of the subplot...

Alice - who took her name form the wall of people who saved other peoples' lives.... and what finally took place between her and Dan, did she save Julia R's Caracter???

That movie has SO many different levels going on - lots of different take outs....

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    You know I was thinking more of the subplot...

...That movie has SO many different levels going on - lots of different take outs....
    That's what made it good. In many ways, though, people were either pursuing revenging OR dishing out what others deserved even if their actual motivation wasn't necessarily revenge. There was some poetic justice there.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    That's what made it good. In many ways, though, people were either pursuing revenging OR dishing out what others deserved even if their actual motivation wasn't necessarily revenge. There was some poetic justice there.
    A very close friend of mine started an affair while that film was being shown... he had recently got engaged and met the girl he had an affair with on the day he went to pick the ring. It was very intense... weirdly I saw the whole thing play out in his astrology (more strongly than ythign I've seen before), I gave him a date by which time I thought he would get busted... the date came and went and nothing happened, his fiance hadn't caught him, so I relaxed and thought he had got away with it (don't get me wrong I SO didn't approve)..... Anyways about 7 days after the date I had told him would be his nemisis, I got an email a few days later, to day his GF had found his diary and his pending nuptuals were over....

All of this paralleled out with his affair... very strange and spooky.

Good movie...

Actualy most movies can be moralistic if you read into them