User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Doctor Who

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

I've only seen one or two Ninth Doctor episodes (the one where he takes Rose to the end of Earth) and the WWII one (with the gas masks). I mean to watch more, but Rose's reaction to having been "missing" a year was sort of offputting to me. Do think her chemistry with the 9th doctor was better. (I'm with Queen Victoria when she gives them the smugness smackdown in the werewolf episode.)

Beyond the obvious head banging moments (Donna's explody-brain and general extra-ness, all women want to be married off, Martha + Mickey, Wilf as a pottering-about old man, EVIL Time Lords), End of Time Part Two also made me crushingly depressed the next day when I thought the message.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I was very angry at part 2. It was so ridiculously stupid that I deliberately didn't write about it. I'm annoyed to have wasted any time thinking about it.

I think Rose had a better chemistry with the 9th doctor, too. But she annoyed me.

There are some pretty good episodes with the 9th doctor - very dark compared to the 10th.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Aderack View Post
    Eccleston
    Boom Town
    Bad Wolf / Parting of the Ways
    The Long Game
    The Empty Child / The Doctor Dances
    The End of the World

Tennant
    The Waters of Mars
    Midnight
    Blink
    Turn Left / The Stolen Earth / Journey's End
    Gridlock
    These are my favorites, as well - with the exception of The Empty Child (are you my mummy?) and The Stolen Earth. Actually Gridlock was pretty stupid conceptually, too.

I liked that Library episode - what was that, Silence in the Library (Tennant)? Or maybe it had "forest" in the title? I'm guessing you know which one I mean. I liked Father's Day (Eccleston), as well.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

I only recently started watching Doctor Who, and have made my way through the new series at lightning speed. I really love it. I watched "Rose" a couple of years ago and it didn't hook me at all, but I'm so glad I gave it another chance.

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    Yeah, I am a bigger fan of the 9th doctor, too. I really hated Tennant - especially his bleeding heart that ends up getting everyone killed, except for him of course. I liked it better when the doctor was a prototypical ENTP stereotype. I feel that Tennant's doctor was ENFP running in Fi overload. I just couldn't understand him or the choices he made. Of course, half of this was in the writing, but man, if I hear "I'm sorry, I am so so sorry" one more time before someone is about to die...
    I adore Tennant, and it definitely has occurred to me that his Doctor is more ENFP than ENTP (which is likely because Tennant himself seems so ENFP). Or maybe he is ENTP with underdeveloped Fe? It's difficult to sort out. I liked the Tenth Doctor a great deal, but he did have a great many overly sanctimonious moments. I found him immensely fun to watch because I like conflict and contradiction, but his Doctor got away with a lot and made some of the same mistakes consistently. I think I'd fault the writing more than Tennant's acting, which I've never found less than superb -- but then the writing has played to his strengths, so I guess it could go either way.

I found the first two series the strongest, which is likely because I really enjoyed Rose as a character. Part of me wishes they'd left her story at the close of series two rather than bringing her back.

The End of Time was interesting...rather muddled/flimsy plot, and, though I did really love having Wilf as a companion, I can't get over Donna's mindwipe. I did really love the dynamic between the Doctor and the Master, and I thought that the Doctor's putting off regeneration until the last possible moment was really true to character. I loved watching Tennant in the role (and will definitely keep tabs on whatever he does next), but it's probably time for a change. We'll see!

videodrones; questions Verfremdungseffekt's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Eh?

With Tennant, I rarely get there's much behind his acting. It's primarily on the surface: here he looks sad; here he looks angry and barks at people.

With Eccleston, there's the sense that his actions come from somewhere inside the character. You can see him processing thoughts, assessing the situation, leading to a response. Tennant's Doctor mostly just... does things, because they're written that way. Then to disguise the lack of genuine flavor he spices up his performance with all these affectations. Mannerisms. He's like a cartoon, or a well-trained monkey.

Sometimes it can be cute. Sometimes he drops all that, and it seems that we get something real. Most times, the yippiness annoys me.

Matt Smith, what little I've seen of him, his strangeness seems based more in a genuinely awkward and eccentric psychology, rather than "wacky" behaviorisms. He's grabbed me -- with his frustrated hands -- from first I saw him and heard him speak.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Aderack View Post
    With Tennant, I rarely get there's much behind his acting. It's primarily on the surface: here he looks sad; here he looks angry and barks at people.

With Eccleston, there's the sense that his actions come from somewhere inside the character. You can see him processing thoughts, assessing the situation, leading to a response. Tennant's Doctor mostly just... does things, because they're written that way. Then to disguise the lack of genuine flavor he spices up his performance with all these affectations. Mannerisms. He's like a cartoon, or a well-trained monkey.

Sometimes it can be cute. Sometimes he drops all that, and it seems that we get something real. Most times, the yippiness annoys me.
    I get a bit different read on Tennant's Doctor. The affectations and mannerisms are obviously a huge part of his characterization, but I rarely find him one-dimensional. It's quirky manic intensity and some other emotion, or overcompensating for something. And I think the fact that he's so affected and keyed-up makes the moments that he drops all that all the more affecting. Maybe it's those moments that have led to my admiration of his acting -- he does particularly beautiful things with his eyes. I gravitate toward unusually quirky, dynamic actors anyway, though.

Of course, I loved Eccleston as well. I definitely agree with what you said about seeing his internal processes, and he brings a constant depth to the role that Tennant arguably doesn't. Even when he's being lighthearted and silly, you get a sense of the weight of his years as a Time Lord. Everything he does seems considered and organic. Tennant's more Peter Pan-misguided or misdirecting. I think they're both really interesting performances.

MBTI
    INTP

I have a special liking for Doctor Nine's first episode, "Rose". When the Doctor took Rose's hand and said "Run!" I felt a thrill because the Doctor was back! And while Rose didn't know it at the time, "Run!" would summarize her future with the Doctor.

I adore Rose. Nine and Ten's special gift was to inspire others to become heroes. None was more inspired than Rose. No Doctor needed a companion more than Nine needed Rose. They were willing to die for each other. In a sense, both did.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Eccelston's Doctor, I agree was a much more intense doctor, than Tennant's. I'm a Tennant fan though, I do agree End of time, Part two was over the top, with the emotional storming. I am looking forward to Matt Smith's Doctor...Just got a feeling he's going be worth watching, Maybe a return to the old school doctor (or at least greater acknowledgment.)
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTJ

I've enjoyed Doctor Who since I was little, and thought Eccleston and Tennant have been good Doctors. I really don't know how Matt Smith will be. =/

I've been pretty appalled by a lot of the new Doctor Who episodes though. Russell T Davies seems to write horribly silly episodes. Often his work is painfully predictable too. A Doctor Who loving friend and myself almost perfectly predicted the entire End of Time episode. I just hope the new season will be written much better, though I'm skeptical about Matt Smith's abilities to play The Doctor.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENFP

I won't even watch the second half of the last Tennant episode. It is just too traumatic for me. I have the worst crush ever! On the flip side, I really dislike Donna. I was hoping she would have gotten stuck in the library forever.
    "Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." Marilyn Monroe