User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    Apparently some of the NTs are just as much if not more into the sport than some of us SPs here.

NTs are the new Artisans and SPs are the new Rationalists because we SPs are not as into sports.
    Speak for yourself.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Obviously that's not an objective fact, but you stated it as such, so I'm going to make an accurate one by saying that you're wrong.

Spectator sports are awesome, imo. I don't expect everybody to like them, but I'd be interested in why you don't.

Perhaps the social last has something to do with it?
    Predictable response to a taste of your own medicine. When it comes to sports, I just prefer to be doing it myself than watching someone else do it. "Spectator sport" is almost an oxymoron. I don't get anything out of the social aspect of watching sports, so social last might be relevant, though I do enjoy my own training group.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    You just need to see some good ground game (even if it's not your style, you would appreciate it).
    I've been watching on and off since UFC 1 (I'm an old fart now at 35). No one even saw Royce Gracie coming then. I can appreciate it.. but..

Well actually UFC in the first few years was great. If I recall, he went up against a Dutch Karate guy.. that Dutch guy made it past the semi finals by pummeling a Sumo 3 times his size (That doesn't even happen now). Gracie got there by beating a fast, Muay Thai striker. The matchups were all over the place. After Gracie, things started to change.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    I don't understand the question are you saying they can't take as much of a hit compared to traditional boxers before getting knocked out?
    Yes, that was what I meant. I was told that a blow to the head with the hands is the most efficient way to knock someone out and that boxers are more conditioned (focused from a younger age) to take those type of hits, and that is why boxing is the more professional and lucrative sport.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Yes, that was what I meant. I was told that a blow to the head with the hands is the most efficient way to knock someone out and that boxers are more conditioned (focused from a younger age) to take those type of hits, and that is why boxing is the more professional and lucrative sport.
    Actually that just proves the opposite because consistent shots to the head is more damaging to the brain thus making the sport more barbaric than MMA where you are able to utilize different skills and techniques to defend yourself.

I'd agree with that. There's even a word for it.. Boxers get "punchy", slightly stupid. Or worse. Doctors say Muhammad Ali's parkinsons is due to boxing.

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I'd agree with that. There's even a word for it.. Boxers get "punchy", slightly stupid. Or worse. Doctors say Muhammad Ali's parkinsons is due to boxing.
    Made me wonder whether I would choose Ali's life if I knew it would lead to where it led. I don't know, maybe...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Here's an awesome article about Anderson Silva's utilization of the Muay Thai clinch against Rich Franklin in their second fight.
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/8/19...ay-thai-clinch
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    Actually that just proves the opposite because consistent shots to the head is more damaging to the brain thus making the sport more barbaric than MMA where you are able to utilize different skills and techniques to defend yourself.
    Yeah I definitely believe that.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    Apparently some of the NTs are just as much if not more into the sport than some of us SPs here.

NTs are the new Artisans and SPs are the new Rationalists because we SPs are not as into sports.
    And this is why we don't listen to Keirsey.

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Predictable response to a taste of your own medicine.

My own medicine?

How so?

I've been watching on and off since UFC 1 (I'm an old fart now at 35). No one even saw Royce Gracie coming then. I can appreciate it.. but..

Well actually UFC in the first few years was great. If I recall, he went up against a Dutch Karate guy.. that Dutch guy made it past the semi finals by pummeling a Sumo 3 times his size (That doesn't even happen now). Gracie got there by beating a fast, Muay Thai striker. The matchups were all over the place. After Gracie, things started to change.
    I've been watching since then as well, albeit with a pretty long absence in its dark days -- started up again in '05-'06, cuz some friends of mine were training and into Pride at the time. What I would say is that truly spectacular ground fighting occurs pretty infrequently, but, man, when it does, it is something to behold. Also, just for future reference, the Dutchman was a Savate fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Boxing isnt really more lucrative for any but the very top boxers, and it's certainly not more professional (boxing is so disorganized and corrupt it would make your head spin). And the only reason there's more money for the very top boxers is because it's been around a lot longer. In 50 years, boxing will pale in comparison to MMA.

Same thing has actually happened recently to one of the pioneers of the sport, "Big Daddy" Gary Goodrich (whom you may remember as the big badass black dude who pulled that crucifix on that dude in UFC 3 [?] and proceeded to elbow the shit out of the dude's head until he went limp [rather ironic that he's the first MMA guy to report permanent brain damage, huh?]), but, along with MMA, he also stuck around in kickboxing for too long, and he's a rather unique case in MMA as a fighter who stayed in the ring too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Blank View Post
    Here's an awesome article about Anderson Silva's utilization of the Muay Thai clinch against Rich Franklin in their second fight.
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/8/19...ay-thai-clinch