User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 123

  1. #61
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    No it's true in real in life fighting and not just competition the purpose of MMA is get to as close as possible to a real life fight.
    If it was true, I would have experienced it by now. I am by no means some badass, but I must've been in 30 fights throughout my life. I won and loss some, but there isn't anything that stands out that tells me that I needed to study grappling. I could see it as highly effective, but not necessary.

    You're also taking my point about close combat too literally. As if I want no contact at all. All I mean is I'm not willingly getting up in anyone's face, trying to position for a clinch. I see how MMA fighters who specialize in that stuff always look for those openings. Their mentality seems to always shift to wanting to do that. I'm the opposite. I don't visualize things that way. It doesn't mean I can't touch someone. Just that everything that makes me confident and even find fun about fighting is on my feet. If you played football, how do you visualize yourself playing it.. what's the first thought? Are you a QB and passing? A WR and catching? A LB and tackling? It's not about right or wrong. It's more about identity and personal strengths. Same with fights. Some guy might visualize himself on the ground a lot. It's right for him.

  2. #62
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    If it was true, I would have experienced it by now. I am by no means some badass, but I must've been in 30 fights throughout my life. I won and loss some, but there isn't anything that stands out that tells me that I needed to study grappling. I could see it as highly effective, but not necessary.

    You're also taking my point about close combat too literally. As if I want no contact at all. All I mean is I'm not willingly getting up in anyone's face, trying to position for a clinch. I see how MMA fighters who specialize in that stuff always look for those openings. Their mentality seems to always shift to wanting to do that. I'm the opposite. I don't visualize things that way. It doesn't mean I can't touch someone. Just that everything that makes me confident and even find fun about fighting is on my feet. If you played football, how do you visualize yourself playing it.. what's the first thought? Are you a QB and passing? A WR and catching? A LB and tackling? It's not about right or wrong. It's more about identity and personal strengths. Same with fights. Some guy might visualize himself on the ground a lot. It's right for him.
    Whatever floats your boat brother.

  3. #63
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    MMA fighters generally aren't as skilled as professional boxers when it comes to just using their hands but they are much more skilled in other areas such as wrestling, judo, sambo, bjj and muay thai.
    This always bothered me a little because it seems like you could just put a pro boxer in there and they'd knock the hell out of people before they even got the chance to do those other things.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  4. #64
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    Whatever floats your boat brother.
    Cool. Same to you. In any case, I have respect for it.

  5. #65
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    This always bothered me a little because it seems like you could just put a pro boxer in there and they'd knock the hell out of people before they even got the chance to do those other things.
    lol....I think this was the last time a pro boxer tried to fight an MMA fighter who was lighter than him. The results speak for itself. http://www.boobootv.com/2010/08/30/r...ey-full-fight/

  6. #66
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Cool. Same to you. In any case, I have respect for it.
    I'm a jiu-jitsu guy and I would never start a fight on the ground in a street fight for various reasons.

  7. #67
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    lol....I think this was the last time a pro boxer tried to fight an MMA fighter who was lighter than him. The results speak for itself. http://www.boobootv.com/2010/08/30/r...ey-full-fight/
    Ray Mercer knocked out Tim Sylvia though (but also lost against Kimbo before that). I think it's just going to boil down to individuals and pre-fight training. Plus, I don't think a lot of the badass boxers see the money in it yet. Ray Mercer was over the hill by the time he went in mma.

  8. #68
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Ray Mercer knocked out Tim Sylvia though (but also lost against Kimbo before that). I think it's just going to boil down to individuals and pre-fight training. Plus, I don't think a lot of the badass boxers see the money in it yet. Ray Mercer was over the hill by the time he went in mma.
    Boils down to who's a better well rounded fighter not the art.

  9. #69
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    Boils down to who's a better well rounded fighter not the art.
    This wasn't even a fight. lol

    [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUx9OE7DZAo].[/youtube]

  10. #70
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    This wasn't even a fight. lol

    [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUx9OE7DZAo].[/youtube]
    Any idiot whos going to go punching distance with a pro boxer is gonna get caught. MMA still triumphs over boxing any day.

Similar Threads

  1. TypoC's 2010-11 Official NFL Football Discussion Thread!
    By IZthe411 in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-14-2010, 05:38 PM
  2. Barack Obama. Discuss.
    By Cindyrella in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 09-08-2008, 10:36 PM
  3. Tux kicks ass, officially!
    By Xander in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-26-2007, 09:27 AM
  4. Dawkins and Evolution, a discussion (moved to new thread)
    By hereandnow in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-18-2007, 11:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO