User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    No it's true in real in life fighting and not just competition the purpose of MMA is get to as close as possible to a real life fight.
    If it was true, I would have experienced it by now. I am by no means some badass, but I must've been in 30 fights throughout my life. I won and loss some, but there isn't anything that stands out that tells me that I needed to study grappling. I could see it as highly effective, but not necessary.

You're also taking my point about close combat too literally. As if I want no contact at all. All I mean is I'm not willingly getting up in anyone's face, trying to position for a clinch. I see how MMA fighters who specialize in that stuff always look for those openings. Their mentality seems to always shift to wanting to do that. I'm the opposite. I don't visualize things that way. It doesn't mean I can't touch someone. Just that everything that makes me confident and even find fun about fighting is on my feet. If you played football, how do you visualize yourself playing it.. what's the first thought? Are you a QB and passing? A WR and catching? A LB and tackling? It's not about right or wrong. It's more about identity and personal strengths. Same with fights. Some guy might visualize himself on the ground a lot. It's right for him.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    If it was true, I would have experienced it by now. I am by no means some badass, but I must've been in 30 fights throughout my life. I won and loss some, but there isn't anything that stands out that tells me that I needed to study grappling. I could see it as highly effective, but not necessary.

You're also taking my point about close combat too literally. As if I want no contact at all. All I mean is I'm not willingly getting up in anyone's face, trying to position for a clinch. I see how MMA fighters who specialize in that stuff always look for those openings. Their mentality seems to always shift to wanting to do that. I'm the opposite. I don't visualize things that way. It doesn't mean I can't touch someone. Just that everything that makes me confident and even find fun about fighting is on my feet. If you played football, how do you visualize yourself playing it.. what's the first thought? Are you a QB and passing? A WR and catching? A LB and tackling? It's not about right or wrong. It's more about identity and personal strengths. Same with fights. Some guy might visualize himself on the ground a lot. It's right for him.
    Whatever floats your boat brother.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

MMA fighters generally aren't as skilled as professional boxers when it comes to just using their hands but they are much more skilled in other areas such as wrestling, judo, sambo, bjj and muay thai.
    This always bothered me a little because it seems like you could just put a pro boxer in there and they'd knock the hell out of people before they even got the chance to do those other things.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Whatever floats your boat brother.
    Cool. Same to you. In any case, I have respect for it.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    This always bothered me a little because it seems like you could just put a pro boxer in there and they'd knock the hell out of people before they even got the chance to do those other things.
    lol....I think this was the last time a pro boxer tried to fight an MMA fighter who was lighter than him. The results speak for itself. http://www.boobootv.com/2010/08/30/r...ey-full-fight/

Permabanned

Cool. Same to you. In any case, I have respect for it.
    I'm a jiu-jitsu guy and I would never start a fight on the ground in a street fight for various reasons.

lol....I think this was the last time a pro boxer tried to fight an MMA fighter who was lighter than him. The results speak for itself. http://www.boobootv.com/2010/08/30/r...ey-full-fight/
    Ray Mercer knocked out Tim Sylvia though (but also lost against Kimbo before that). I think it's just going to boil down to individuals and pre-fight training. Plus, I don't think a lot of the badass boxers see the money in it yet. Ray Mercer was over the hill by the time he went in mma.

Permabanned

Ray Mercer knocked out Tim Sylvia though (but also lost against Kimbo before that). I think it's just going to boil down to individuals and pre-fight training. Plus, I don't think a lot of the badass boxers see the money in it yet. Ray Mercer was over the hill by the time he went in mma.
    Boils down to who's a better well rounded fighter not the art.

Boils down to who's a better well rounded fighter not the art.
    This wasn't even a fight. lol

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUx9OE7DZAo].[/youtube]

Permabanned

This wasn't even a fight. lol

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUx9OE7DZAo].[/youtube]
    Any idiot whos going to go punching distance with a pro boxer is gonna get caught. MMA still triumphs over boxing any day.