First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Munchies View Post
    when facing multiple enemies your obviously no going to want to get on the ground, that would only make you vulnerable.

and the weapon is only as good as the person using it, any type of stand-up would be very effective if used properly in a while facing multiple enemies, or even just one. Keep your distance and pick your shots, preferably striking after they make a move. Defence is really important. If you go in swinging chances are you are leaving yourself open
    A lot of the stand-up fighting got short changed after MMA fame it seems (especially at the beginning with little rules to limit groundfighting...I remember Royce Gracie fights it was like watching a spider jump on its prey. Effective but relatively boring to watch.

I speculate that Japanese Jujitsu would be effective yet it seems pretty hard/time consuming even redundant to get close to mater/master. For the quickest training Jeet Kun Do, Muay Thai or if small arms were allowed Kali would be effective under those conditions (I dont know enough about the Hawaiian fighting arts/Kimbo(sp) to effectively speculate on it reliablity under those conditions)
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    IsfP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    A lot of the stand-up fighting got short changed after MMA fame it seems (especially at the beginning with little rules to limit groundfighting...I remember Royce Gracie fights it was like watching a spider jump on its prey. Effective but relatively boring to watch.

I speculate that Japanese Jujitsu would be effective yet it seems pretty hard/time consuming even redundant to get close to mater/master. For the quickest training Jeet Kun Do, Muay Thai or if small arms were allowed Kali would be effective under those conditions (I dont know enough about the Hawaiian fighting arts/Kimbo(sp) to effectively speculate on it reliablity under those conditions)
    That would be cool if Jeet Kun Do were anything more than a philosophy.

But it's not, and that makes it greater than a style.

For a specific martial art meant to fight multiple opponents, there's Krav Maga. It's not very popular, but everyone's probably seen it, since that's what they used to choreograph Christian Bale in the Batman flicks. There are a lot of multidirectional attacks - fists one way, legs out the other, etc..

And like the above dude said, JKD is a philosophy, and thence, leaves you open to study anything.

Last but not least, the good thing is is that most people on the street, in some bar or whatnot, can't fight and live out their lives using scare tactics. Real fighters tend to have a good head on their shoulders, and don't engage in this stuff. OTOH, just run if they all have weapons.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

You find out what works for you. Some people aren't optimally equipped to perform high kicks, some people have poor upper body strength, others have problems that prevent extreme cardiovascular conditioning. Like JKD says, 'take what works for you, and throw out the rest.'

Not everyone wants to be able to do a flying roundhouse kick, 8 feet in the air...:rolli:

Some of us just prefer to time it so we punch dumbass in the groin as he sails by, or just move out of the way.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Anderson Silva:

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Oom View Post
    That would be cool if Jeet Kun Do were anything more than a philosophy.

But it's not, and that makes it greater than a style.

Jun Fan Gung Fu is the core of JKD, but I agree, the ultimate meaning of Jeet Kune Do is to liberate yourself from all forms.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Default The MMA Thread

It had to be done.

@Rasofy @DiscoBiscuit

You guys do mixed martial arts?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Disco does.

Don't think Rasofy does.

I'm about one step away from starting training BJJ.

But, like an NFL thread, or an MLB thread, or an NBA thread, this is about spectatorship, not participation.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I did catch a match between that one huge guy and that other huge guy.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness