User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

Results 101 to 110 of 123

  1. #101
    No moss growing on me Giggly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so
    Posts
    9,666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Yeah, boxers have to stand up and hit each other though, and not grapple. If a huge dude is going to hit you, you don't want to stand there and try to dodge or block, that's a good way to get killed.

    Some times the best way to avoid those powerful punches is to be stuck on the person like glue because in that case they just can't generate nearly as much power as a fully extending stand up punch. It'll still hurt but stand up punching tries to use the whole body and put the force into the end of the fist, and it just doesn't work as well if they are prevented from utilizing all those muscles.

    Edit: on that note this is why boxers some times 'hug' or clinch each other in the middle of a fight because it gives them a relief from being hit momentarily but since it isn't wrestling, the ref will usually separate them to a point.
    I see.

  2. #102
    Senior Member Scheherezade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Yeah, boxers have to stand up and hit each other though, and not grapple. If a huge dude is going to hit you, you don't want to stand there and try to dodge or block, that's a good way to get killed.

    Some times the best way to avoid those powerful punches is to be stuck on the person like glue because in that case they just can't generate nearly as much power as a fully extending stand up punch. It'll still hurt but stand up punching tries to use the whole body and put the force into the end of the fist, and it just doesn't work as well if they are prevented from utilizing all those muscles.

    Edit: on that note this is why boxers some times 'hug' or clinch each other in the middle of a fight because it gives them a relief from being hit momentarily but since it isn't wrestling, the ref will usually separate them to a point.
    so the first paragraph is about boxing, the second about MMA and the last about boxing again,i just want to make sure i understand,
    also in muay thai for example you can strike really hard with your elbow if standing close to your opponent

  3. #103
    Mojibake sprinkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scheherezade View Post
    so the first paragraph is about boxing, the second about MMA and the last about boxing again,i just want to make sure i understand,
    also in muay thai for example you can strike really hard with your elbow if standing close to your opponent
    How did you even find this thread, and why are you quoting me from almost a year ago? I'm really not interested anymore by now.

  4. #104
    Senior Member Scheherezade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    156

    Default

    I searched mma doh

  5. #105
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post




    Birger King ad
    Translation:
    After my last fight, I decided to invite my opponent to a barbecue.
    And since I think he's a bit sad, I decided to reinforce the invitation.
    Here are two ''bk picanha'' coupons. That's barbecue with real sirloin.
    You're invited to go to any Burger King in Brazil to taste this delight.
    Now you can say you've won something out of me!
    I'm sure the last thing Anderson does is incorporate burger king in his diet.

  6. #106
    No moss growing on me Giggly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so
    Posts
    9,666

    Default


  7. #107
    No moss growing on me Giggly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so
    Posts
    9,666

    Default

    Watching UFC right now. Still don't quite understand why guys like beating up on each other so much.

  8. #108
    Epiphany
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Watching UFC right now. Still don't quite understand why guys like beating up on each other so much.
    Because women like it.

  9. #109
    No moss growing on me Giggly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so
    Posts
    9,666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moniker View Post
    Because women like it.
    I don't think that's it at all.

  10. #110
    Epiphany
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I don't think that's it at all.
    I think that has a lot to do with it. Not MMA specifically, but aggression in general. There are plenty of women who think it's sexy to watch guys try to physically dominate each other. If women, as a whole, were unanimously turned off by aggression in men, I think you would see a lot fewer men showing aggression in its various forms.

    Btw...why are you watching UFC?

    I recall you starting a thread about boxing once, in which you expressed your interest in the sport. Why do you think you enjoy watching men fight?

Similar Threads

  1. TypoC's 2010-11 Official NFL Football Discussion Thread!
    By IZthe411 in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-14-2010, 05:38 PM
  2. Barack Obama. Discuss.
    By Cindyrella in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 09-08-2008, 10:36 PM
  3. Tux kicks ass, officially!
    By Xander in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-26-2007, 09:27 AM
  4. Dawkins and Evolution, a discussion (moved to new thread)
    By hereandnow in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-18-2007, 11:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO