• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Just got back from Avatar in 3D and just got my mind blown. The movie looked more real than the real world if that makes any sense, once my eyes got accustomed to the view, which perhaps only took about 15-20 minutes.

For a synopsis, I won't go into it here, but it's basically Trail of Tears with better production values.

I was initially skeptical of all the hype because usually a PG-13 movie with blue aliens frolicking in the forest isn't really my idea of a good time, but some friends were going so I figured why the hell not.

And I'm glad I did. Visually, the film is just spectacular. Everything from animation, to creature/flora design, special effects, it's unlike you've ever seen. And in this movie, the 3D doesn't seem like a gimmick like in others, you get the sense it was designed to be viewed in this way, and I think that makes it better.

Also, the story clearly takes a back seat to the visual splendor, but it's fine enough to not detract from anything.

Thoughts, complaints? Interested to hear what others think.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Ooh, I think I'll bother to see this now, thanks JtM.

It really is great!

What do you think of kids seeing this?

Hmm, depends on what you think of the alien models, and your family's feelings on skin exposure. They're very much aboriginal, which means they're just wearing loincloths and such, but there isn't much in terms of sensuality and the violence isn't explicit. No gushing blood, maybe 5 "shits" but nothing more.

For your kids, I think this will be their Star Wars, their Jurassic Park.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I wanna see it. I wonder if my INTJ daughter is boycotting it because it's 'in' . . . :thinking:

lamp

I really liked the implications of the biological stuff present; the plot did not go there but I have been thinking for the past eighteen hours about the implications of scientific advancement in the FUTURE versus cash NOW.

I saw it in 2d because my right eye is fucked up and I was not sure if I could handle the runtime in 3d. But now I want to see it in 3d :]

Mole

Permabanned
Pandora's Box

Also, the story clearly takes a back seat to the visual splendor, but it's fine enough to not detract from anything.

Yes, I think Avatar is visually splendid.

However I think Avatar failed as a work of art. But the special effects are so staggering that you forget about its shortcomings.

But as extraordinary and beautiful as Avatar is visually it left me feeling unsatisfied.

What I think is more interesting is that each one of us here has an avatar, and is an avatar, and these forums are Pandora.

We are avatars in the noosphere and so they have spent the largest amount of money ever making Avatar on the planet Pandora.

And when we sign on as avatars here we are opening Pandora's Box.

The great thing about the movie Avatar is that it resonates with what we are doing here. Avatar resonates with all the avatars here. Avatar resonates with the forums and so teaches us about ourselves and what we are doing - we are opening Pandora's Box.

What will we find inside?

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Visually splendid and sublime, I was checking between the 2D and 3D differences, wondering how much difference there was and yes great film. Yet to me bits felt like borrowed from books I've read in the past, familiar to some of the ideology. I was happy that finally they had humanoid felines in CG. My biggest issue though is the trailer gives the film away too much without leaving me in suspense to what the film is on about. Gives the visual feast with a plot that could have been more interesting yet overall satisfying movie experience.

Fecal McAngry

Just got back from Avatar in 3D and just got my mind blown. The movie looked more real than the real world if that makes any sense, once my eyes got accustomed to the view, which perhaps only took about 15-20 minutes.

For a synopsis, I won't go into it here, but it's basically Trail of Tears with better production values.

I was initially skeptical of all the hype because usually a PG-13 movie with blue aliens frolicking in the forest isn't really my idea of a good time, but some friends were going so I figured why the hell not.

And I'm glad I did. Visually, the film is just spectacular. Everything from animation, to creature/flora design, special effects, it's unlike you've ever seen. And in this movie, the 3D doesn't seem like a gimmick like in others, you get the sense it was designed to be viewed in this way, and I think that makes it better.

I may see it, but I doubt I'll like it. When INTJ directors like Cameron and Lucas find technology (in the same way other types "find religion") they tend to get seduced by the dark side of the force...as their technological prowess develops, their films become unwatchable as anything other than FX showcases...

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
What an amazing film, I almost cried when it was over because that meant waking up to this very real, very crappy world. :cry:

This is going to be a must in my collection, if only I could be an avatar haha.

SuperServal

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I'd say that the general consensus is correct: It's a heaping mass of bad dialogue and narrative cliches wrapped up in a beautiful package. The experience is ultimately rewarding and kinda magical.

When it was over I was sad that I live on Earth and drive cars and have pale skin and can't jump through huge, glowing trees. My mind wasn't blown, but it is definitely worth seeing...especially in the cinema in 3-D! Pandora is one of the greatest film settings ever.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I didn't hear any of the hype, just went because it was in the theatre. (That's how we go to movies, whatever is playing)

I really liked it, it's a little predictable but it's very enjoyable. We saw it 2D and I'm thinking about going back to see it 3D. Is the 3D worth it?

How did they atrophie his legs?? We thought he was an actual paraplegic.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Awesome movie. It was predictable and some scenes really smelled like "hollywood", and the hungarian dub was awful; but the visual orgy and the cute naivete' of old-school storytelling totally compensated for everything.

I felt like a child all along, and I was actually rooting for the protagonist, which... doesn't happen too often :blush:

sciski

MBTI Type
NSFW
Enneagram
6w7
How did they atrophie his legs?? We thought he was an actual paraplegic.

Haha, that was my question too... then my partner answered, "If they can make an entire planet out of CG effects, then they can use CG effects to make his legs skinny."

:doh:

I agree it was beautiful, cliched and predictable. The characterisation was very extreme--no shades of grey (though many shades of blue ;) ). Team A is spiritual, wise and heroic; Team B is greedy, cowardly and ruthless.

However, it's still very enjoyable if you turn off your brain and keep your eyes open. The hours pass very quickly.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

Just saw Avatar in 3d and thought it was kickass. It reminded me what it was like when I first saw the Matrix. Try not to post key spoilers or if so alert but if you saw it what did you think of it?

P

Phantonym

I'm going to see it in a few hours. 3D as well. I've heard people say good things about it. I want to make up my own mind.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Very Cool. I think you will get a kick out of it Sky is Blue because your personality and your love for inventive movies. Yeah best to just go into it with an open mind. I had a coffee before I went and saw it which I feel gave a subtle enhancement to the movie for me.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've already seen it twice in 3D. 3D makes that movie rock, and esp if you go to a theater with enhanced/great sound. The first theater I saw it in was an old theater, the second one has only been around maybe 2-3 years, and the sound was so great the whole theater reverberated physically with it... I don't want to spoil things, but the traumatic scene in the middle of the movie was just bone-jarring, with the surround sound and 3D in place.

The movie has some flaws and is sort of "Americanized" in how the story is told, if you get my drift -- it was aimed at being a blockbuster style movie -- but I think it's best experienced by just letting oneself go and immersing within the frame of the movie. I experienced a great sense of wonder throughout.

One thing Cameron does well is keeping the plot devices interwoven. There is literally nothing in the movie that was not set up earlier in the plot, everything is interconnected and foreshadowed. I was able to guess many of the plot twists by thinking about what got said earlier in the movie. This actually did not bore me, it put me more in the role of a character of the movie who was trying to figure out where to go next.

I think many of the supporting actors were incredibly done, although Neytiri is still my favorite. She was amazingly alive and physically expressive to me, far more than many non-CGI characters I've seen. The plot is one that has been heavily mirrored in other movies in the genre (a large chunk of the plot is right out of the animated movie "Pocahontas") but I felt this one was the most effective twist on that style of narrative.