User Tag List

12311 Last

Thread: Avatar

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Default Avatar

Just got back from Avatar in 3D and just got my mind blown. The movie looked more real than the real world if that makes any sense, once my eyes got accustomed to the view, which perhaps only took about 15-20 minutes.

For a synopsis, I won't go into it here, but it's basically Trail of Tears with better production values.

I was initially skeptical of all the hype because usually a PG-13 movie with blue aliens frolicking in the forest isn't really my idea of a good time, but some friends were going so I figured why the hell not.

And I'm glad I did. Visually, the film is just spectacular. Everything from animation, to creature/flora design, special effects, it's unlike you've ever seen. And in this movie, the 3D doesn't seem like a gimmick like in others, you get the sense it was designed to be viewed in this way, and I think that makes it better.

Also, the story clearly takes a back seat to the visual splendor, but it's fine enough to not detract from anything.

Thoughts, complaints? Interested to hear what others think.

violaine

Ooh, I think I'll bother to see this now, thanks JtM.

MBTI
    INTP

What do you think of kids seeing this?

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sanveane View Post
    Ooh, I think I'll bother to see this now, thanks JtM.
    It really is great!

Quote Originally Posted by Poser View Post
    What do you think of kids seeing this?
    Hmm, depends on what you think of the alien models, and your family's feelings on skin exposure. They're very much aboriginal, which means they're just wearing loincloths and such, but there isn't much in terms of sensuality and the violence isn't explicit. No gushing blood, maybe 5 "shits" but nothing more.

For your kids, I think this will be their Star Wars, their Jurassic Park.

MBTI
    INTP

Thanks! I can't wait to go see this movie!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I wanna see it. I wonder if my INTJ daughter is boycotting it because it's 'in' . . .
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

I really liked the implications of the biological stuff present; the plot did not go there but I have been thinking for the past eighteen hours about the implications of scientific advancement in the FUTURE versus cash NOW.

I saw it in 2d because my right eye is fucked up and I was not sure if I could handle the runtime in 3d. But now I want to see it in 3d :]

Thumbs down Pandora's Box

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Also, the story clearly takes a back seat to the visual splendor, but it's fine enough to not detract from anything.

Yes, I think Avatar is visually splendid.

However I think Avatar failed as a work of art. But the special effects are so staggering that you forget about its shortcomings.

But as extraordinary and beautiful as Avatar is visually it left me feeling unsatisfied.

What I think is more interesting is that each one of us here has an avatar, and is an avatar, and these forums are Pandora.

We are avatars in the noosphere and so they have spent the largest amount of money ever making Avatar on the planet Pandora.

And when we sign on as avatars here we are opening Pandora's Box.

The great thing about the movie Avatar is that it resonates with what we are doing here. Avatar resonates with all the avatars here. Avatar resonates with the forums and so teaches us about ourselves and what we are doing - we are opening Pandora's Box.

What will we find inside?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Visually splendid and sublime, I was checking between the 2D and 3D differences, wondering how much difference there was and yes great film. Yet to me bits felt like borrowed from books I've read in the past, familiar to some of the ideology. I was happy that finally they had humanoid felines in CG. My biggest issue though is the trailer gives the film away too much without leaving me in suspense to what the film is on about. Gives the visual feast with a plot that could have been more interesting yet overall satisfying movie experience.

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Just got back from Avatar in 3D and just got my mind blown. The movie looked more real than the real world if that makes any sense, once my eyes got accustomed to the view, which perhaps only took about 15-20 minutes.

For a synopsis, I won't go into it here, but it's basically Trail of Tears with better production values.

I was initially skeptical of all the hype because usually a PG-13 movie with blue aliens frolicking in the forest isn't really my idea of a good time, but some friends were going so I figured why the hell not.

And I'm glad I did. Visually, the film is just spectacular. Everything from animation, to creature/flora design, special effects, it's unlike you've ever seen. And in this movie, the 3D doesn't seem like a gimmick like in others, you get the sense it was designed to be viewed in this way, and I think that makes it better.

I may see it, but I doubt I'll like it. When INTJ directors like Cameron and Lucas find technology (in the same way other types "find religion") they tend to get seduced by the dark side of the force...as their technological prowess develops, their films become unwatchable as anything other than FX showcases...