• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Still trying to decide whether to see this. I'm not really one to see a movie mostly for the new technology or amped-up CGI, and I'd always rather see real actors than CGI creations. Kind of feel like if I do see it, though, I should see it in the theatre, rather than waiting for dvd. *sigh* Decisions...

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
So, I went to see it in what I consider to be the best film theatre of Paris (Max Linder), in English, full 3D, THX sound, etc...

How could I describe my reaction?
Well, the 3D technique is very interesting, and indeed I think this may be the future of movies.

BUT. I'm sorry if I may disappoint people here, but my opinion on that film might be very harsh.

The first 30 minutes are bearable. Barely. Just while you're discovering the plot and the context.

But after that, you have understood it, and the intrigue become very, very long. The scenario is incredibly dull, predictable... and well... boring.

But what shocked me the most was the aesthetics of the film:

It is insanely UGLY.

It was a shock to discover how much bad taste could be displayed on a single screen. :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

The people who designed this... thing seem to have been severely limited in their imagination. They only use half-baked ideas, ridiculous cliches. The so-called aliens are just blue cat people... and that's all!
Even a child could have pictured something better.
And it's the same for the fauna and the flora. Cliches, cliches, cliches. Hoards of cliches.

NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING has been "invented". No brand new designs, no new invention at all.
Believe me, a real equatorial forest is far more interesting and complex than this animated crap for extreme daltonians.

---

Of course, I'm also a great SF fan. But like somebody already wote, this is not SF. During the whole film, I was just amazingly disappointed to notice how totally incoherent Pandora was, especially when you have the slightest notion of physics and biology.
Unlike what Cameron imagined, the atmosphere CANNOT contain even traces of HCN and NH3, it's chemically impossible, since these molecules react with oxygene and water, and would necessitate a huge source of methane (another molecule that cannot coexist with oxygene).
Plus, a moon like this is supposed to be tidally locked with its Gas Giant (which is by the way far too smaller to make this believable). And let's not forget the probable effect of the magnetotail of Polyphemus, and the great geologic unstability of moons orbiting in a binary system... etc...

And biologically, it's even worse, since we have here a perfect exemple of non-darwinian evolution. But if you believe in Intelligent Design well...
The colours we see everywhere are nonsense. In such an hostile environment, camouflage would quickly become a necessary evolutionary asset. But once again, nothing really fits. Cameron needed those brilliant colours because of the 3D. There's no other explanation to it, it's as stupid and as mundane as that.

Yellow irises aren't suited to that kind of light (but once again, Na'vis are just cat people, don't look for any further meaning or sense of realism).
And hexapods... well, this is even more ridiculous in a jungle with lighter gravity. The designers just looked for an original idea to make their horses, their wolves and dinosaurs more alien looking. Unfortunately, it's was a wrong one.

And so on, and so on...

I spent all my time in front of the screen wondering at the incredible number of scientific mistakes and deux ex machina, predictable events and flawed designs.
The whole movie could have been conceived by a 11 years old kid.

---

So overall, when I think of the incredible budget Cameron had (the GNP of a small country!), I'd say it's an INCREDIBLE WASTEFULNESS. It's a formidable opportunity wasted. I can't recount the number of ways this movie could have been improved, everywhere, everywhere...

(Plus "Dancing with Wolves" was far better)

The truth is that this movie has been optimised for one single purpose:
TO MAKE MONEY. And that's all.
It won't leave a mark in history, it just makes you feel empty and frustrated.
No message. No reflexion. No show.

It has been optimised for the general public, hence the incredible bad taste of the scenes (because unfortunately, it's a well known fact that the general public has absolutely no taste and if left alone will enjoy kitsch monstruosities -"goût de chiotte" en français-, hence the purpose of the avant-garde).

So, overall, when you are both a trained scientist and a designer like me, this movie is a professional nightmare.

Once again, I prefer the real world, by far. The canopies of tropical rainforests are richer, more magical, and more beautiful. And they are no ersatz of reality, they are reality itself, even if men are currently destroying them.

Last edited:

ProperDave

MBTI Type
ENTJ
BUT. I'm sorry if I may disappoint people here, but my opinion on that film might be very harsh.

The first 30 minutes are bearable. Barely. Just while you're discovering the plot and the context.

But after that, you have understood it, and the intrigue become very, very long. The scenario is incredibly dull, predictable... and well... boring.

But what shocked me the most was the aesthetics of the film:

It is insanely UGLY.

To be honest I agree with you. Aside from the pretty impressive 3D, it's not an amazing movie. I had friends tell me before hand to see it in 3D, or not at all - so that's what I did.

It'll impress the masses though, as only a small portion of people will watch the movie with a scientific viewpoint and proclaim THIS IS SILLY.

In other news; I've create an off-shoot topic relating to a UK news article.
It can be viewed here

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING has been "invented". No brand new designs, no new invention at all.
Believe me, the real equatorial forest is far more interesting and complex than this animated crap for extreme daltonians.

I definitely agree. It was a bunch of rehashed-everything with Lisa Frank colors puked all over it. (I'm guessing Lisa Frank isn't known in France, but look her/it up - it's a line of school products for little girls...stickers, folders, pencils, paper, notebooks, etc. Crappy art with bright colors.)

The truth is that this movie has been optimised for one single purpose:
TO MAKE MONEY. And that's all.

I agree with that too. Even the 3D aspect wasn't terribly impressive, imo. It was neat, but it felt like a regular movie that they added 3D to for the hype around 3D movies...just to make more money.

Seriously, the more I think about it, the more I dislike Avatar. :(

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Everyone's entitled to their opinion... but I don't think people need to generalize to making this a statement on the stupidity of the masses, <blah blah blah>...

It's rather insulting to those of us who just happened to like it on some levels, even if we can see flaws and agree with some of your points; and it also just sounds like another soapbox where people feel a need to dislike something just because the mass market happens to like it.

Realistically, aesthetics vary greatly from person to person.
You don't have to like the movie.

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
Everyone's entitled to their opinion... but I don't think people need to generalize to making this a statement on the stupidity of the masses, <blah blah blah>...

It's rather insulting to those of us who just happened to like it on some levels, even if we can see flaws and agree with some of your points; and it also just sounds like another soapbox where people feel a need to dislike something just because the mass market happens to like it.

Realistically, aesthetics vary greatly from person to person.
You don't have to like the movie.

I'm not on the soapbox because it's popular. I like many things that the masses like and I willingly admit that. However, I thought this movie was crap. Visually appealing to people who like shiny, glowy things. For me it was shine/glow overload. The quality of CG was great. It all looked like it could be real objects, their movement was fluid...

I still kinda think it was all done for the money since there wasn't a whole lot of originality in it. I've said it before, but even the 3D was just a publicity stunt. Honestly, what about the movie would have been less appreciated without the 3D glasses? Nothing.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
I'm not on the soapbox because it's popular. I like many things that the masses like and I willingly admit that. However, I thought this movie was crap. Visually appealing to people who like shiny, glowy things. For me it was shine/glow overload. The quality of CG was great. It all looked like it could be real objects, their movement was fluid...

I still kinda think it was all done for the money since there wasn't a whole lot of originality in it. I've said it before, but even the 3D was just a publicity stunt. Honestly, what about the movie would have been less appreciated without the 3D glasses? Nothing.

I watched it online, not such a great copy, you couldn't even see the skin of the Na'vi properly, no 3D, no bright colours, and I watched it twice I enjoyed it that much.

What can I say, I still cry to pocahontas even now.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I saw it in 2D (3D movie theaters are still sold out across the city) and I loved it. The story was paint by numbers, which usually bugs me, but I didn't mind because it was compelling and I cared about the characters. It looked great, too... all the cool machinery.

It wasn't that "pretty" but it was still interesting and fun to look at. And the sound design was stellar. I didn't get how the biology was supposed to work, in the avatars or in the atmosphere, but I was able to suspend disbelief. Overall, I really liked it.

I'm going to see this in 3D this week, for sure.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

The 3D was amazing. I might not bother to ever watch it in 2D.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Extra LOL!

{spoilers}

SERGEANT STRAW MAN: How 'bout we work it into the plot that later on, when it comes time to choose being a full time Smurf, your Smurf body is by that time crippled and can't walk, so it means giving up the chance of having legs as a human in order to be crippled as a Smurf?

JUGHEAD: Wow! Yeah, that would be an intensely dramatic dilemma! By forcing me to give up something instead of just becoming more awesome, that would show the love for my upcoming love interest and the sacrifice I make to be with her, as well as how deep my bond with the Smurf society has become. It would show real heroism, and conflict, and hard decisions, and...

JAMES CAMERON: Shut the fuck up.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
SERGEANT STRAW MAN: How 'bout we work it into the plot that later on, when it comes time to choose being a full time Smurf, your Smurf body is by that time crippled and can't walk, so it means giving up the chance of having legs as a human in order to be crippled as a Smurf?

JUGHEAD: Wow! Yeah, that would be an intensely dramatic dilemma! By forcing me to give up something instead of just becoming more awesome, that would show the love for my upcoming love interest and the sacrifice I make to be with her, as well as how deep my bond with the Smurf society has become. It would show real heroism, and conflict, and hard decisions, and...

JAMES CAMERON: Shut the fuck up.

Nice. :) And you're right, that actually shows a much bigger commitment.

I just don't know how many people would shell out money over and over again to watch "My Left Foot" in space, though.

And pretty much being paralyzed from the waist down in a jungle environment is the kiss of death. Infected bedsores, eaten by Thanator, for the win!

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just don't know how many people would shell out money over and over again to watch "My Left Foot" in space, though.

Well...

PEOPLE AT FURRY CONVENTIONS : Thank you, James Cameron, for the highest budget masturbation material ever made.

:devil:

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
More awesome:

GEORGE LUCAS: Oh, man, I can't wait to get my hands on this technology. Did you see what I did with Jar Jar Binks? Imagine that, but times a billion!

AUDIENCE: Oh god... no... NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
PEOPLE AT FURRY CONVENTIONS : Thank you, James Cameron, for the highest budget masturbation material ever made.

I'm scared to login to Second Life anymore now.

EDIT: At first, I thought you were talking about "doing the nasty" with Jar Jar in your second post.
(And yes... it would be NASTY.)

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I just saw this last night and the conclusion throughout my group afterward was "Wow."
There were certainly things that could have been better in regard to character/plot development, but i'm under the impression it would've been far longer than it was in that case :laugh:.
Visually, it was stunning. The various emotional responses sparked were fantastic and their lack of lingering on certain responses for too long was realistic and appealing to me.
I was impressed, just not for the typical reasons.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was impressed, just not for the typical reasons.
This. It was a very fun experience for me. I think they did a great job conveying emotion in CG characters, which is often done so poorly.

Originality and character depth weren't the focus of this movie, and for me that was ok.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I definitely agree. It was a bunch of rehashed-everything with Lisa Frank colors puked all over it. (I'm guessing Lisa Frank isn't known in France, but look her/it up - it's a line of school products for little girls...stickers, folders, pencils, paper, notebooks, etc. Crappy art with bright colors.)

I've never heard of Lisa Frank, but generally, the aesthetics of Avatar reminded me of a cross between My Little Pony and Carebears, the whole drawn under an acid trip.

mylittlepony.jpg

This is what happens when you eat too much Psilocybes... :party:

I agree with that too. Even the 3D aspect wasn't terribly impressive, imo. It was neat, but it felt like a regular movie that they added 3D to for the hype around 3D movies...just to make more money.

Seriously, the more I think about it, the more I dislike Avatar. :(

Cameron needed those obcenely contrasted colours because of the 3D effects. With darker tones, it wouldn't have worked so well.