User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Thread: Avatar

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~ targobelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    enfp

mmmm I really liked this beautifully aesthetically pleasing movie

it was so rich and lush and vivid and amazing I loved it!
    ~t ...in need of hugs please...
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Titanic was a better film.
    Yeah, especially the love scene with the steamy hand on the window and Old Rose's geriatric ramblings. ()Oh wait, I forgot -- you got to see Kate Winslet nekkid! Poor Zoe Seldana here just got painted blue and had to keep her g-string on.)

Quote Originally Posted by targo View Post
    mmmm I really liked this beautifully aesthetically pleasing movie. it was so rich and lush and vivid and amazing I loved it!
    And where on earth have YOU been all this time, young lady???
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yeah, especially the love scene with the steamy hand on the window and Old Rose's geriatric ramblings. ()Oh wait, I forgot -- you got to see Kate Winslet nekkid! Poor Zoe Seldana here just got painted blue and had to keep her g-string on.)

And where on earth have YOU been all this time, young lady???
    I hear the DVD version will have an extended mating scene, so maybe that'll give Avatar an edge in that department!

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by Winged View Post
    I loved it. It was indeed meaningful to me, on a variety of levels, and I didn't even notice the passing of almost three hours.

Comparison to other movies with a thread of similarity could render many things less magical, and I honestly don't care if some tosser in the past made a movie about natives (terrestrial or otherwise).

Haha yep. To me it was a rehash, but who cares, it was a good rehash and a good movie, and as jennifer pointed out, there are only so many stories and twists on those stories that will ever be made.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

MBTI
    ISTP

Stop reading now if you don't want spoilers. You can stop reading anyway. I'm ranting.

SPOILERS AHEAD.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that was a bit disappointed with it. Just saw it last night in 3D. Yeah, the visuals are amazing. And that's the only amazing thing about it. The story was predictable after 20 minutes of the movie. I pretty much called it all and I went in knowing practically nothing about the movie. Even the 3D aspect wasn't terribly impressive. I feel like they did that for the publicity of a high budget 3D film.

It was a huge rip of older, better sci fi. I saw some Stargate, Matrix, LOTS of Ender's Game (more of the other books after Ender's Game - Xenocide, Children of the Mind...). I'd mention Ferngully but I haven't seen that in forever so I'm going based on what other people say.

The major theme of the big bad corporate world eating up the planet is ancient. The love story was the same as any other romance...

Jack: "I'm doing my job. Wait, this chick is awesome. Let's get together!"
    Neytiri: "Ok! I helps you, too!"
    Jack: "Uh, hate to break it to you, but I have work to do."
    Neytiri: "Zomg, you lied to me?! I hate you!"
    Jack: "Things change, honey! I love you!"
    Neytiri: "Wait, I love you too..."

Gag me with a freakin' spoon.

The more I think about this movie, the less I like it. Did I mention that it looks like Lisa Frank puked on the whole thing? 'Cause it totally does.

Did anyone notice that the handcuffs looked like a slap bracelet?

Ok, so I *do* see the appeal for people who don't read or watch much Sci Fi. It presents the other society well. You've got a noob, just like the audience, and he goes in needing to learn everything. Stuff gets explained, it makes sense. The aspect of sci fi being so totally foreign that one can't associate with it isn't so present in this movie. (I've found that problem with Sci Fi myself. The original BSG series is awful 'cause it's in English but you can't tell wtf is going on without a glossary 'cause they have a new word for everything...in the pilot episode. Not a good beginning.)

Anyway, it looks nice, but I think it kinda failed at everything else.
    I 65.63% E 34.38%
    S 68.75% N 31.25%
    T 87.1% F 12.9%
    P 66.67% J 33.33%

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I hear the DVD version will have an extended mating scene
    Ooooh... do they fondle hair braids or go the old-fashioned way?

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Ooooh... do they fondle hair braids or go the old-fashioned way?
    I didn't read up on it, not into that sort of thing

But God I hope it's both! *fans self*

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I don't mind if a movie is derivative, if they do something interesting with the story. Somebody like Tarantino can be extremely derivative, paying homage to this or that old style/story/structure, and still manage to add something original to the mix. Less cheesy dialogue, even, could have brought Avatar up a couple of notches. Or more nuance to the military and industrial characters, instead of just making them "Bad Guys."

I did like the storyline that was linked earlier in this thread a lot, though. Clearly they could not have fit all that in and stayed under 3 hours but they could have preserved some of it, at least.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Somebody like Tarantino can be extremely derivative, paying homage to this or that old style/story/structure, and still manage to add something original to the mix.
    oh gee.... Rather like saying "someone like Picasso...."

Tarantino's a unique talent, equipped to create intriguing pastiches of old half-baked ideas. He could make a rotten potato look enticingly menacing.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Kate is more beautiful than anyone in Avatar, but I do think you hit upon something. Actors are far more interesting than CGI characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I did like the storyline that was linked earlier in this thread a lot, though. Clearly they could not have fit all that in and stayed under 3 hours but they could have preserved some of it, at least.
    I think that was @ INTPc: Project 880: The Movie That Avatar Almost Was. That would be a more interesting story, and better characters.