Thread: Avatar

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Really good article that pretty much speaks for me on the topic of Avatar. And comes up with some pretty darn funny alternate names for it.
    Lol -- I actually consciously noted the Papyrus font at movie's end.

Can't stop laughing: Pr*tty Sh*tty: An Open Letter to James Cameron From Papyrus
    "....Goodness knows I’ve worked hard the past 26 years to make a name for myself. And it’s felt great coming to the aid of New Age spa owners, suburban party planners, and young couples looking to save money by making their own wedding invitations..."

can't. breathe. help. me!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaveri View Post
    I saw it in 2D.

But rejoice -- you still have time to repent! And spend more $$$!

Am I the only one who loved the film especially much for its ideology and message?
    From what I can tell, most people are complaining not because they disagree with ideology but because the ideology/message are the same as other movies people has seen and not really any more nuanced or uniquely stated. I can't really say I learned anything I did not believe or know before; however, I have a much more PALPABLE and visceral understanding of what it means to be driven from my home and have things torn from me by people stronger than me.

Tangent: The name "unobtainium" sounds pretty stupid... but when I was reading the Futurist, the author noted that it's similar to the word "macguffin" - it's a term engineers routinely use to describe the "typical, rare, magical substance that everyone wants and no one can get their hands on" in a particular scenario. Here was a case where an inside joke ended up playing pretty poorly in the audience, who just read it as a not-so-creatively coined term.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Lol -- I actually consciously noted the Papyrus font at movie's end.
    Word! I think probably many editors did.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INTP

I haven't seen it yet, but I found this rather amusing: http://i.imgur.com/JmRmb.jpg
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

And yes, there are such things as INTPs who overuse emoticons

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Oeufa View Post
    I haven't seen it yet, but I found this rather amusing: http://i.imgur.com/JmRmb.jpg
    It's only funny because it's true!

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

^ LOL , that link was too funny!

Alas, I am doubtful I will be able to experience the 3D immersion. I will try to see if it works for the in-theatre trailers the right way. But 3D hasn't worked for me in the past. So I'm not holding out much hope.

All people with lazy eye should sue James Cameron! I feel discriminated against ...

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Oeufa View Post
    But it doesn't really matter anyway. Old stories are rehashed all the time.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    But it doesn't really matter anyway. Old stories are rehashed all the time.
    It's always an interesting contradiction here.

One problem is our storage and availability of media.
    Nowadays a work is created, and it lingers for a long long time or can be accessed/located.
    Also, a LOT of works are being constantly created.
    That's a lot of general media accessible to the average public.

According to one view of stories, there are only about 40 unique general plots available to western culture.

So under those constraints, and especially with people who spend a lot of time observing media, there's just going to be a lot of rehash.

It always bugged me when I'd watch a critic show and they would bitch about having seen the same thing five times before... but I'd think, "I've never seen any of those other things, so to ME it was new and meaningful!"

That's why sometimes the "big picture / broad minded criticism" (where a piece is compared to every other piece within the genre) is misguided to me; if a piece can be enjoyed on its own, then it's worthwhile. Because for many, especially those without past experience, it IS operating on its own.

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    That's why sometimes the "big picture / broad minded criticism" (where a piece is compared to every other piece within the genre) is misguided to me; if a piece can be enjoyed on its own, then it's worthwhile. Because for many, especially those without past experience, it IS operating on its own.
    Oh, I agree, especially with the bolded part. And even with past experience you can still enjoy watching them. Comparing can be fun as well and not some negative experience. It's all about the moment you're watching a movie and how you're able to discover something positive and really worthwhile your time. At least it is for me.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

I wrote on INTPc if you don't see it in 3D (gorgeous) then don't bother.

Titanic was a better film.

Enneagram
    9w8

Thoughts?
    I loved it. It was indeed meaningful to me, on a variety of levels, and I didn't even notice the passing of almost three hours.

Comparison to other movies with a thread of similarity could render many things less magical, and I honestly don't care if some tosser in the past made a movie about natives (terrestrial or otherwise).