Thread: Avatar

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    ...The last sentence is exactly why I won't do it. When something is "in", it means everybody else is doing it, seeing it, listening to it, buying it ect. Everybody else thinks it's great! So why would I do it, just because everybody else is doing it? Or rather, why would I do something based on what everybody else thinks of it? (unless I had to, like fucking showering or sleeping and eating ) I don't care what everybody else thinks, that's why I won't see it now.
    To me, NOT DOING something just because everyone else is doing it is just as reactive as DOING it just because everyone else is. You're still just the tail wagging on the dog.

On the flip side, if I thought Avatar was something worth seeing, for me. I would do it without even thinking about whether or not it was in, cause, hey, I think it might be interesting. Even if it got terrible reviews, I would still see it.
    So how do you figure out whether or not it's something you want to see without any sort of information whatsoever to go on?

I usually read reviews and get feedback not to follow someone's like/dislike but to see the reasoning behind WHY someone liked/dislike and then I can translate that into a sensible assessment of whether or not I might find it interesting or not.

Ironically I had no idea what Avatar was about the first time I went. One of my friends just really wanted to go, so I went with her so she wouldn't have to go alone.

Also, I have issues with being like everybody else, or the majority. But that's a whole other show, and my own stupid values.
    Ah, there it is.
    See my first comment.

I don't like being in the majority much either, I like to stick out a little... but at the same time I don't want to shoot off my nose to spite my face. There are some worthwhile things out there that lots of people happen to like.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Don't forget Fern Gully!
    Hahaha I said after watching it that Avatar is Fern Gully for grownups. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    To me, NOT DOING something just because everyone else is doing it is just as reactive as DOING it just because everyone else is. You're still just the tail wagging on the dog.
    This is true!

Basically, because I didn't have any initial interest or any interest of my own to see the movie when I first heard of it, I can't bring myself to see it now, just because everybody else is telling me to/doing it.

With things I do find interesting, the thought of somebody else doesn't even cross my mind. Even less what they would think. Hell, my shoes are in odd sizes and I wear them proudly. I got them for Christmas and I really needed a pair of warm shoes and those were the only ones left.

To address your question about how I figure out whether or not it's something I want to see: I make up my mind very fast. Too fast! Sometimes without having enough information. I get very inpatient with researching something I a) don't find very interesting b) already think I've got a grasp on. I put together pieces of information pretty quickly and I trust my instincts. Unless it's a money issue, then I'm very careful with my research.

And I wanna touch upon what you said about finding a reason to go. This is what I'm ultimately doing. At least in my mind. And the fact that it's "in" is just not a good enough reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I don't like being in the majority much either, I like to stick out a little... but at the same time I don't want to shoot off my nose to spite my face. There are some worthwhile things out there that lots of people happen to like.
    Oh, yes I agree. That's why I said I'll probably see it later.

MBTI
    ENFP

I saw it in 3D. It was visually stunning, like stepping into a whole new planet. I think that was very well done.

The second half, however was soo cheesy that I kept guessing what would happen next and kept getting it right.

I think one of the things Cameron did right though was to establish the conflict the main character had when he was torn between both sides.

Would say its worth seeing, at least once (and definitely in 3D.) I don't think I'll go for a repeat viewing though.
    I am an ENFP but I value justice over mercy.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    To address your question about how I figure out whether or not it's something I want to see: I make up my mind very fast. Too fast! Sometimes without having enough information. I get very inpatient with researching something I a) don't find very interesting b) already think I've got a grasp on. I put together pieces of information pretty quickly and I trust my instincts. Unless it's a money issue, then I'm very careful with my research.
    Ah... I guess when it comes to money too, I do some pretty decent research. I like to make sure I buy something with endurance, quality, ease of use -- i.e., a good investment. So I can be sort of anal with that sort of thing. (and it pays off ... any cars I buy, or appliances, or services... I've always made good decisions).

But when it comes to art (music, books, movies, etc.), my "liking" of something is more instinctive and holistic anyway -- it's not a deconstructive process, the deconstruction is actually an afterthought, when I have to explain to someone else why I did or did not like it.

And I wanna touch upon what you said about finding a reason to go. This is what I'm ultimately doing. At least in my mind. And the fact that it's "in" is just not a good enough reason.
    Oh, I agree with that.

This is the first movie I think I've seen in the theater for months, and I had no idea what it was about ahead of time.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Wow, someone was caught masturbating to Freud yet again.
    Awful review... or whatever this was intended to be.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    Wow, someone was caught masturbating on Freud yet again. Awful review... or whatever this was intended to be.
    I think it was probably just so the author could get some attention for his column and feel more insightful than the mainstream, honestly. This kind of review approach normally is self-seeking.

Then again, he was from San Fran.
    Maybe it was all about sex to him.

MBTI
    intp

Am I the only one who loved the film especially much for its ideology and message?

I saw it in 2D.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Really good article that pretty much speaks for me on the topic of Avatar. And comes up with some pretty darn funny alternate names for it.

http://defamer.gawker.com/5440601/av...making-forever
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii