User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: Avatar

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

IMO it wouldn't be worth it in 2D. The major selling point for me was the immersive 3D. This new 3D technology is pretty kickass, IMO. It's not like the old-school 3D where all they could do was throw stuff at your face. It's really quite a lot like being there. I want to see it again in an IMAX theater.

Having said that, the story was only so-so to me. It seemed like a mish-mash of Ferngully, Dances with Wolves, Pocahontas, etc etc etc. Very "noble savage." Joins a long line of "white guy who encounters a group of tribal people and becomes the most awesome one of them ever" movies.

ohnotheydidnt: Avatar: The Last Samurai of the Ferngully Who Dances with Wolves (And Why It's All Kinda Racist)
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

BTW I merged the two Avatar threads I found when I searched to make sure I wouldn't be starting a thread that already exists.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    IMO it wouldn't be worth it in 2D. The major selling point for me was the immersive 3D. This new 3D technology is pretty kickass, IMO. It's not like the old-school 3D where all they could do was throw stuff at your face. It's really quite a lot like being there. I want to see it again in an IMAX theater.
    That is next on the list for me, hopefully.
    It's definitely created for the theater experience and worth seeing there, maxed out.

Having said that, the story was only so-so to me. It seemed like a mish-mash of Ferngully, Dances with Wolves, Pocahontas, etc etc etc. Very "noble savage." Joins a long line of "white guy who encounters a group of tribal people and becomes the most awesome one of them ever" movies.
    Yup. It was more the immersive experience of it that I enjoyed rather than because it was groundbreaking in some way in regards to story or characterization... although a few of the actors were tremendous. (Not really the lead or the biggest names, but Zoe Saldana was just excellent.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

She was great. I didn't think Sigourney Weaver was all that good in this one, though, and I LOVE her. It's never a good sign when I hear the character pitch ringing in my ears whenever she's on screen. "This is the tough-as-nails scientist with a delicate, nougaty center. She's passionate about her work and seems callous to Jake at first but she'll be there for him when the chips are down."

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I wanna see it. I wonder if my INTJ daughter is boycotting it because it's 'in' . . .
    This is basically what I'm doing. Sounds stupid, but it's a reflex. I never do anything while it's "in", "hip" or whatever. I don't wanna be a part of the "horde". If I can't be first, then I'll probably go last, not at all or in a completely different way.

Anyhow, I'll probably see it, since it has gotten such great reviews, cause, hey, I don't wanna miss a good thing. But I'll go see it when all the fuss is over, and most likely in 3D. I've thought about downloading it, but I don't wanna ruin a good visual experience just because I wanna be rebellious.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Joins a long line of "white guy who encounters a group of tribal people and becomes the most awesome one of them ever" movies.
    Sounds kinda like my experiance here at TypoC with my cats avi among cats.

Yeah Sigourney was kinda type cast yet loved her Avatar...like Jennifer's too.

Driving out of town to the nearest 3D IMAX sounds like a daytrip I will have to put on my calendar. Thanks for merging thread (don't know how I missed the first one) and putting the idea in my head to see it IMAX.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    This is basically what I'm doing. Sounds stupid, but it's a reflex. I never do anything while it's "in", "hip" or whatever. I don't wanna be a part of the "horde". If I can't be first, then I'll probably go last, not at all or in a completely different way.

Anyhow, I'll probably see it, since it has gotten such great reviews, cause, hey, I don't wanna miss a good thing. But I'll go see it when all the fuss is over, and most likely in 3D. I've thought about downloading it, but I don't wanna ruin a good visual experience just because I wanna be rebellious.
    This is something I've never understood. I hear showering is "in." Do you not do that!?

If something seems cool, do it. Who cares what everyone else thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    Sounds kinda like my experiance here in my cats avi.

Yeah Sigourney was kinda type cast yet loved her Avatar...like Jennifer's too .

Driving out of town to the nearest 3D IMAX sounds like a daytrip I will have to put on my calendar. Thanks for merging thread (don't know how I missed the first one) and putting the idea in my head to see it IMAX.
    Yeah, I'm visiting my friend in Boston this weekend and we're going to check it out. Can't wait.

MBTI
    INTJ

Good review of the movie:

Please mount my hot blue alien
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

She was great. I didn't think Sigourney Weaver was all that good in this one, though, and I LOVE her. It's never a good sign when I hear the character pitch ringing in my ears whenever she's on screen.
    Sigh, I really felt the same way. To me, her best lines were the very first ones she delivered, when she complained about not having her cigarette... A lot of different actors could have played this role with little difference in outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by edgar
    Please mount my hot blue alien
    *hisss* keep your hands OFF my tail!

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    Best theater I saw it in so far was at the Arundel Mills between Balt/Wash, the Cinemark Egyptian 24, the screen was immense...!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    This is something I've never understood. I hear showering is "in." Do you not do that!?

If something seems cool, do it. Who cares what everyone else thinks.
    See this is awesome! The last sentence is exactly why I won't do it. When something is "in", it means everybody else is doing it, seeing it, listening to it, buying it ect. Everybody else thinks it's great! So why would I do it, just because everybody else is doing it? Or rather, why would I do something based on what everybody else thinks of it? (unless I had to, like fucking showering or sleeping and eating ) I don't care what everybody else thinks, that's why I won't see it now.

On the flip side, if I thought Avatar was something worth seeing, for me. I would do it without even thinking about whether or not it was in, cause, hey, I think it might be interesting. Even if it got terrible reviews, I would still see it.

So basically, maybe the "problem" is the fact that I don't see the fascination myself, with Avatar, so I refuse to go see it just because it's "in". However, since it has gotten good critic, I probably will see it like I would see any other movie that has gotten good reviews. But just, later. Also, I have issues with being like everybody else, or the majority. But that's a whole other show, and my own stupid values.