User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 120

Thread: Avatar

  1. #21
    Ghost Monkey Soul Vizconde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    ^well said .
    I understand what you mean when you say "it's best experienced by just letting oneself go and immersing within the frame of the movie". I have a natural tendency with my logical mind to try and fight CGI and even 3D. But with this 3D (BTW a must), sound and the total (and beautifully and artistically done) CGI I was able to let myself go and placed in a garden of Eden...really the closest thing to being on visual hallucinogens I have seen. I enjoyed it much more choosing it as a trip, an experience, rather than a movie.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

  2. #22
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    ^well said .
    I understand what you mean when you say "it's best experienced by just letting oneself go and immersing within the frame of the movie". I have a natural tendency with my logical mind to try and fight CGI and even 3D. But with this 3D (BTW a must), sound and the total (and beautifully and artistically done) CGI I was able to let myself go and placed in a garden of Eden...really the closest thing to being on visual hallucinogens I have seen. I enjoyed it much more choosing it as a trip, an experience, rather than a movie.
    I used to tear apart every little inconsistency and whatever else I saw in a movie, when I was younger (it was what I did for life experience in general), but after awhile I realized I was missing out on other ways to experience life and there's something to be said about immersing oneself.

    This movie was amazing that way. Pretty much as close to possible as actually being there.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  3. #23
    Per Ardua Metamorphosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    3,466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    The plot is one that has been heavily mirrored in other movies in the genre (a large chunk of the plot is right out of the animated movie "Pocahontas") but I felt this one was the most effective twist on that style of narrative.
    Don't forget Fern Gully!
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

    Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

  4. #24
    Senior Member stigmatica's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I used to tear apart every little inconsistency and whatever else I saw in a movie, when I was younger (it was what I did for life experience in general), but after awhile I realized I was missing out on other ways to experience life and there's something to be said about immersing oneself.

    This movie was amazing that way. Pretty much as close to possible as actually being there.
    PLUS 1000000000000000000!

    I saw it in 3D this weekend, and plan on seeing it again over the holidays. I'm a big SciFi fan, and this movie was the next best thing to actually getting to experience such scifi bliss for real! And besides that, I like the whole Pocahontas love story theme with a scifi twist. Delicious!

    Technically, you could tear this movie to shreds with reality technicalities... but WHY! It's fantasy sci-fi for crying out loud! If it was realistic, it would suck! I mean, that's what reality is good at! SUCKING! If you're looking for an escape from reality, there's no better movie, IMO.

  5. #25
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Don't forget Fern Gully!
    omg. never saw it...
    ...and never will, now.



    Quote Originally Posted by stigmatica View Post
    Technically, you could tear this movie to shreds with reality technicalities... but WHY! It's fantasy sci-fi for crying out loud! If it was realistic, it would suck! I mean, that's what reality is good at! SUCKING! If you're looking for an escape from reality, there's no better movie, IMO.
    I have now seen it twice, and last night's theater had awesome surround sound, so intense that the whole room seemed to tremble and shake when the Na'Vi were driven from their home. (I'll avoid the specifics, since it's a spoiler.)

    That coupled with the 3D effects made it feel like I was actually there. It was just crazy.

    Sigh, now I want to be Neytiri -- so fierce, so lithe, so expressive. I feel like a toad in comparison. *ribbit*
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  6. #26
    Ghost Monkey Soul Vizconde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stigmatica View Post
    PLUS 1000000000000000000!

    If you're looking for an escape from reality, there's no better movie, IMO.
    I am glad most of you all are getting the point.

    To belabor the point for the others who have not seen it and who plan on bringing a killjoy to see it with them...its like Raiders of the Lost Arc in the sense that sure...its filled with logical inconsistencies...but it KICKS ASS!!

    This is one of the rare movies at the theater that I'm gonna see again.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

  7. #27
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    I am glad most of you all are getting the point.

    To belabor the point for the other...its like Raiders of the Lost Arc in the sense that sure...its filled with logical inconsistencies but it KICKS ASS!!

    This is one of the rare movies at the theater that I'm gonna see again.
    Someone asked me the other day what movies I have seen more than once in the theater. As best as I can remember (and there are not many here):

    The Incredibles: 6x
    The Fellowship of the Ring: 3x
    Matrix 2: 3x
    Matrix 3: 3x
    Avatar 3D: 2x

    I'm expecting Avatar 3D to beat them all out except for The Incredibles.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  8. #28
    Was E.laur Laurie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp
    Posts
    6,075

    Default

    So it's worth going to see 3D? We saw it 2D, maybe I will go back and see it again.

  9. #29
    Senior Member stigmatica's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    So it's worth going to see 3D? We saw it 2D, maybe I will go back and see it again.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!


    WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    You RUINED IT!!!!!!

    DAMMIT!!!! My brother did the same thing (saw it in 2D) and I gave him what for... uh... for it! He immediately went to see it again in 3D, and when he was done, he claimed it was like watching a whole different movie.

  10. #30
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    2D?

    Ouch.
    Don't do that.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Similar Threads

  1. [INTJ] what is it with INTJ's a germanic sounding names/military avatars?
    By Il Morto Qui Parla in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 04-23-2014, 05:10 AM
  2. Avatar Contest
    By Haight in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-18-2007, 02:01 PM
  3. My avatar at the moment
    By rivercrow in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-20-2007, 09:49 PM
  4. Movie Star Avatar
    By ferunandesu in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 05-06-2007, 09:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO